X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Slowick Article

No panic attack for Broncos defense
    Communication issues need to be worked out, Pro Bowler Bailey says
    By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
    Published September 24, 2008 at 9:48 p.m.

Throw the numbers at Bob Slowik and he waits patiently for you to finish. Then he latches on to one single figure - three, as in the number of wins thus far for the Broncos.

Slowik, the team's defensive coordinator, knows there's work to be done from his group, which is last against the pass in the NFL and 25th or below in seven major categories. But he seems even keeled, steeled by his 17 years in the business.

Before practice Wednesday, he spoke confidently about having time to find the right play-calling mix and getting his players on the same page, beginning with Sunday's game in Kansas City, Mo., against the Chiefs. And the fact they'll do it with a 3-0 season head start is what he deems the biggest plus.

"In my mind, the No.1 goal in the NFL is to win games - that's it," he said. "And however we find a way to win, that's what you've got to do. And when winning is no longer important, then why are you playing? That's the way I look at it.

"The guys are working their butts off, playing hard. We've given up some points, absolutely. But we're not in a panic," he said, adding with a laugh, "If someone doesn't like the way we're winning, they'll get a new play-caller, a new defensive coordinator. That's the way it goes. You just keep working to get better."

That task, based on talks with several players, begins with smoothing out communication issues that have hurt the Broncos in back-to-back weeks.

The defensive call on a given snap might get to the linebackers but not up front, or the defensive backs might be getting the defensive checks but one individual mistakenly is playing another coverage.

The loud crowds at Invesco Field at Mile High have exacerbated the issue for a defensive group that has introduced five new starters and has two other players switching positions. And teams spreading out the Broncos because of early deficits that make them more one-dimensional present even more of a challenge to get the call to everyone smoothly.

"I just think, assignmentwise, we're not in the right places," Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey said. "You look at the tape. We've hustled. Every now and then, we give up a bad one that hurts us. And 'Slo' always says to us, every touchdown drive usually gives up a big play. We've been doing that."

They've also been nickel-and-dimed, especially through the air, as the Chargers' Philip Rivers and the Saints' Drew Brees combined for a 74.1 percent completion rate.

A lack of pressure - the Broncos have five sacks in three games - has put stress on the back end to hold up in coverage.

But those past two quarterbacks also are adept at getting the ball out on time and accurately - and have, minus a stout rush.

There likely will be more concern if the same problems occur Sunday. Kansas City has been a mess at quarterback but will start veteran Damon Huard.

At the same time, a ball-control game plan is expected, with Chiefs running back Larry Johnson a strength and a mind-set to play keep away from the Broncos a likely approach.

"It's a process," Slowik said. "And it's me, in particular, finding out what we're best at in pass situations. I think everybody's pretty comfortable where we are in the run. We've just got to keep on working on what we can do best to defend the rest. And that's kind of on me."

A 3-4 alignment on 21 snaps Sunday was one wrinkle as part of that mad experiment last week. So it isn't as if Slowik's reining things back so everyone can play catch-up.

But some hesitancy in movement, especially in the frequent zone coverages it's run, has cost the Broncos , too. Waiting denotes thinking.

"It takes a long time, in my opinion, where you can just look and know what's going on and you don't need verbal communication anymore and guys are just reacting, where they've been through the calls, been through a regular season. So it takes a little time," Slowik said. "I don't think anybody can pick it up and say, 'Shoot, we're full throttle here after three games.' "

There have been some large-scale successes that can be used as building blocks in the defensive meeting rooms this week - and have been.

Linebacker Nate Webster scored on a fumble recovery against the Saints. There also was a goal-line stand and a critical third-and-1 stop late, which was particularly huge given opponents' 44.7 percent success rate, to date, when faced with drive-killing plays.

"We have to get off the field on third downs, check the backs coming out of the backfield and make teams earn everything," safety Marlon McCree said. "And we'll do that this week."

Kansas City is scoring only 10.7 points a game and is 28th in total offense, so there's a chance for a quick turnaround.

"I'm absolutely confident we won't be talking about this for long because we're going to work hard at it," linebacker Boss Bailey said. "We've got too many guys in this room who want to get better and win conventionally, instead of a lot of close ball games."

Link - http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...oncos-defense/

It would be sad if KC scored 25+ on us. I think then everyone would be really worried. Hit panic button now.

Comment

hell my fingers hovering over the panick button as we speak

first off i hate the attitude of so what were 3-0...were winning...we doing what we have to to win

ummm slo...your side of the ball is not doing its part to win...the wins are comeing from the offense putting up points in record fashion...not from the defense stopping anyone...Hello!!!!
      sigpic
      when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

It sounds a lot like last year, where players don't know their assignments. All through training camp players were saying how they understand this scheme but as soon as the season starts, they don't know what they are supposed to do.

Hopefully we can get this fixed, because the defense is the only thing that is holding us back from a Superbowl.
        sigpic

Comment

Sounds like Slowik is making one big excuse for "why not to fire me". We have had 3 games - true, but we also had 4 preseason games to get ready for this. That's 7 games total for people to "learn the system" so to speak. That excuse is bullcrap. Slowik sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronks Fan View Post
            Sounds like Slowik is making one big excuse for "why not to fire me". We have had 3 games - true, but we also had 4 preseason games to get ready for this. That's 7 games total for people to "learn the system" so to speak. That excuse is bullcrap. Slowik sucks.

I agree with you there but like i said before, i hope we get this mess settled before or shortly there after our bye week.
            --bringin' the pain--

:orton:

Comment

The only thing that will settle this mess is letting some other guy run the defense. Slowik is too arrogant, and in my opinion just plain retarded. He doesn't even realize that he sounds like a blabbering idiot when he refers to "well, we're winning." YOU DON'T COACH THE OFFENSE! YOU COACH THE DEFENSE! YOU SUCK!

Comment

I wanna know how you got 3 cp blocks with only 381 (give a few more by the time its read), it took me 1000+ posts to get to my level.

Teach me!!

Comment

Originally posted by TU_HurricaneDB View Post
                  I wanna know how you got 3 cp blocks with only 381 (give a few more by the time its read), it took me 1000+ posts to get to my level.

Teach me!!
                  :offtopic:
                  I had 3 cp blocks that early . . . the trick is to suck up to the guys with a lot of blocks because their Cp's are worth 6 or 8 points.

Thanks AZ_Snake

Wolverine get 'em because he posts so many great articles that the rest of us never find.

Comment

I was in the camp for at least being patient with Slowick - we have played good offenseses, but this article really bugged me. If anyone should be saying, we are 3-0, BUT... it is the COACH of the 20-something ranked defense.

Hell, Shanahan is probably saying, 'We're 3-0, BUT..." he always says stuff like that.
                    I think this week's game is MAKE or BREAK for Slowick and/or WHATEVER the hell system we are running these days.
                    It is very very very simple here. If we can't beat the living snot out of KC when they have the ball, with the players we have on defense, it HAS to be the scheme, and it HAS to be Slowick. KC is throwing up a collegiate team these days.

And I agree that he SHOULD be on a tight least to at least produce a DECENT defense NOW...
                    Hopefully we can get this fixed, because the defense is the only thing that is holding us back from a Superbowl. - Cutler7624
                    Exactly.
                    (sorry for the weird quoting, didnt decide to quote you until halfway through the post)

And also, I just recently got the 3 bars, im at like 224, and a lot of people give CP's for articles/videos/links they enjoy, including me.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolverine83 View Post
                      I was in the camp for at least being patient with Slowick - we have played good offenseses, but this article really bugged me. If anyone should be saying, we are 3-0, BUT... it is the COACH of the 20-something ranked defense.

Hell, Shanahan is probably saying, 'We're 3-0, BUT..." he always says stuff like that.
                      I think this week's game is MAKE or BREAK for Slowick and/or WHATEVER the hell system we are running these days.
                      It is very very very simple here. If we can't beat the living snot out of KC when they have the ball, with the players we have on defense, it HAS to be the scheme, and it HAS to be Slowick. KC is throwing up a collegiate team these days.

And I agree that he SHOULD be on a tight least to at least produce a DECENT defense NOW...

Exactly.
                      (sorry for the weird quoting, didnt decide to quote you until halfway through the post)

And also, I just recently got the 3 bars, im at like 224, and a lot of people give CP's for articles/videos/links they enjoy, including me.
                      I think he gets the cps cuz he posts great stuff. Good articles i dont have the time to find. I'd cp Wolverine again but I can't lol.

sigpic
                      \

Comment

I've said it before, the defense gets a "get outta jail free" card from me because we played SD and NO two very good offenses.

But if the Chiefs put up more than twenty on the defense they go directly to jail and do not pass go and do not collect 200 (million) dollars.

sigpic
                        \

Comment

Working...
                        X