Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have we been the worst drafting team in the league since Millen took over?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Have we been the worst drafting team in the league since Millen took over?

    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ext...fting-mistakes


    If you look at the article.. we are at -.36..... below Detroit....



    Any thoughts?
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

  • #2
    Originally posted by JoRo View Post
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ext...fting-mistakes


    If you look at the article.. we are at -.36..... below Detroit....



    Any thoughts?
    Oh man... now you are going to just open that can of worms Allllllll over again.

    Comment


    • #3
      When we where bad at drafting, our records where between 10-6 and 13-3. I don't really care how good they draft if they keep the team competitive. Also, if anyone thinks they can't draft, look at our offense. Most all of it was brought into the league by this team. Now they just need to figure out how to draft defense.

      Comment


      • #4
        I thought we've had some damn good draft picks:

        Jay Cutler
        Tony Scheff
        Elvis Dummerville
        Brandon Marshall
        Ryan Clady
        Eddie Royal

        To see a draft pick actually play is a good draft pick, so I think it's safe to say we've made some good choices, Brandon Marshall went in like the 4th round. Eddie Royal was too small to be given a chance, but we gave him one anyway and walla 2 back to back catches that won the game against the Chargers.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jhns View Post
          When we where bad at drafting, our records where between 10-6 and 13-3. I don't really care how good they draft if they keep the team competitive. Also, if anyone thinks they can't draft, look at our offense. Most all of it was brought into the league by this team. Now they just need to figure out how to draft defense.
          the years of the bad drafts wouldnt reflect the drafts . . . we still had talent on the team from drafts prior . . . the last few years it has been catching up to us though and it shows in the 9-7 and then lasts years 7-9

          we are slowly beginning to see what good drafting gets you in this league . . . and that is among the elites
          sigpic
          -------

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
            the years of the bad drafts wouldnt reflect the drafts . . . we still had talent on the team from drafts prior . . . the last few years it has been catching up to us though and it shows in the 9-7 and then lasts years 7-9

            we are slowly beginning to see what good drafting gets you in this league . . . and that is among the elites
            Really though, that is not what gave us those records. Both years we had many injuries and almost all of those losses where when Jay was in there. Not only Jay, but we have started a LOT of rookies and 2nd/3rd year guys the last couple seasons. I don't blame the loosing on the drafts alone. There where many other factors, injury and youth being the biggest.

            Oh and the youth 'problem' came because we where drafting good. So really, we where doing fine until we started drafting well.

            Anyways, my point was that you can be successful with trades, free agents, and good coaching. It isn't all about the draft.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JoRo View Post
              http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ext...fting-mistakes


              If you look at the article.. we are at -.36..... below Detroit....



              Any thoughts?
              yesb ut keep in mind many of our draftees were traded for value

              Portis for Champ
              Bell and Foster for Bly
              and various other RBs
              and I believe it was Watts that crippled his hand in a car accident (correct?)

              so we were not AS bad as they say

              Comment


              • #8
                Absolutely not!!!


                I don't know how you can say that even if the neg GSAA means anything, Baltimore doesn't do that well drafting players or they'd be a heck of a lot better by now, talent can hide poor coaching. Second Ive always though of Pittsburgh as a decent draft team making those GSAA number seem totally idiotic.

                Not to mention our drafts have been pretty good since 2001. Look at what we've done:

                01' : sucked reached for players day 1 but got Hayward and Hamilton.
                02' : Lelie played ok for a while and Portis was lights out especially getting Champ for us, plus Putzier did an ok job too.
                03' : Worst draft under MS and still sickens me to see us go with Griffin day 1
                04' : We got "go DJ, cause thats my DJ" and a productive RB in Bell , then Bell and Foster got us Bly later.
                05' : 2nd to worst draft since 2001, Clarett seriously!?!? With the loss of Lil D, paymah's poor performance and practically nothing for Fox.
                06' : Rocked the house man!!! Cutler (nuff said), Marshall, Dumervil, Hixon (would have been great had he not lost confidence), Scheffler and Kuper
                07' : Harris and Thomas, two solid starters... jury's still out on Crowder and Moss until 09' IMO.
                08' : Clady and Royal starting and doing well, JWill, Lichtenguy, Hillis have all played and will eventually start.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TU_HurricaneDB View Post
                  Absolutely not!!!


                  I don't know how you can say that even if the neg GSAA means anything, Baltimore doesn't do that well drafting players or they'd be a heck of a lot better by now, talent can hide poor coaching. Second Ive always though of Pittsburgh as a decent draft team making those GSAA number seem totally idiotic.

                  Not to mention our drafts have been pretty good since 2001. Look at what we've done:

                  01' : sucked reached for players day 1 but got Hayward and Hamilton.
                  02' : Lelie played ok for a while and Portis was lights out especially getting Champ for us, plus Putzier did an ok job too.
                  03' : Worst draft under MS and still sickens me to see us go with Griffin day 1
                  04' : We got "go DJ, cause thats my DJ" and a productive RB in Bell , then Bell and Foster got us Bly later.
                  05' : 2nd to worst draft since 2001, Clarett seriously!?!? With the loss of Lil D, paymah's poor performance and practically nothing for Fox.
                  06' : Rocked the house man!!! Cutler (nuff said), Marshall, Dumervil, Hixon (would have been great had he not lost confidence), Scheffler and Kuper
                  07' : Harris and Thomas, two solid starters... jury's still out on Crowder and Moss until 09' IMO.
                  08' : Clady and Royal starting and doing well, JWill, Lichtenguy, Hillis have all played and will eventually start.

                  Exactly, I was going to post this as well. No way can u say we draft poorly. Our drafts are never STELLAR, but they're good. Millen is an idiot

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It doesn't really matter... What is in the past is in the past...

                    What exactly is in the past? 06' Cutler, Marshall, Doom and Scheffler. Such a fantastic group of guys, changed our franchise around.

                    '07 was solid enough, and 13 games too short to be able to label with any kind of accuracy.

                    As far as I can tell we topped '07 this year with Clady and Royal contributing early and in a very big way to the offense. I've been really happy with the drafting the last few years... It seems to be the true identity our team is built around these days. Franchise is headed up.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TU_HurricaneDB View Post
                      03' : Worst draft under MS and still sickens me to see us go with Griffin day 1
                      Grade given on 5/1/03: B
                      Grade given on 6/8/08: Z-
                      Good Moves: Great second round pick in MLB Terry Pierce. 4th rounder RB Quentin Griffin should be another great Denver back. The Broncos had another steal in the fourth round: DT Nick Eason. C Ben Claxton, DE Aaron Hunt and DE Clint Mitchell were all great late round picks.

                      Bad Moves: I did not like their first round pick, OT George Foster. #20 was just too early for him. The Broncos did not address their weak secondary at all.

                      June 8, 2008 Update: Denver's first-round selection in 2003 proves how important it is to make sure that a player fits your scheme. George Foster is not a zone-blocking lineman, yet the Broncos spent the No. 20 pick on him anyway. He was traded to the Lions last year, where he was benched.

                      With that said, it saddens me to say that Foster was the best player Denver drafted five years ago. That's because all of their other picks, with the exception of Nick Eason (4th round) is out of the league. Eason is a second-string defensive lineman in Pittsburgh.

                      A run through of the Broncos' failures: Terry Pierce (2nd round), Quentin Griffin (4th round), Bryant McNeal (4th round), Ben Claxton (5th round), Adrian Madise (5th round), Aaron Hunt (6th round), Clint Mitchell (7th round) and Ahmaad Galloway (7th round). Is there anything lower than a Z-?

                      Potential 2003 Starters: OT George Foster.

                      LMFAO!!!!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JoRo View Post
                        http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ext...fting-mistakes


                        If you look at the article.. we are at -.36..... below Detroit....



                        Any thoughts?
                        yeah right...a bad drafting team...look at this

                        Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                        I was typing on another forum...and thought it would be interesting to compare how many starters our draft has produced as opposed to the Chargers, Raiders, and Chiefs....here I go
                        Note: These are AS OF Week 1 of 2008 season

                        Denver Broncos

                        2006=Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Chris Kuper

                        2007=Marcus Thomas, Ryan Harris

                        2008=Ryan Clady, Eddie Royal, Peyton Hillis

                        San Diego Chargers

                        2006=Antonio Cromartie, Marcus McNeil

                        2007=Eric Weddle

                        2008=NOBODY

                        Oakland Raiders

                        2006=Michael Huff, Thomas Howard

                        2007=Jamarcus Russell, Zach Miller, Jay Richardson

                        2008=NOBODY

                        Kansas City Chiefs

                        2006=Tamba Hali, Bernard Pollard, Brodie Croyle, Jarrad Page

                        2007=Dwayne Bowe, Turk McBride, Tank Tyler

                        2008=Glenn Dorsey, Branden Albert, Brandon Flowers

                        Just thought that it would make for some neat comparisons. Note that on some occasions, not just because a team has so many more rookie starters (Chiefs) means they've had stellar drafts...some teams are forced to play their rookies earlier than expected because they have nothing else.

                        Like I said, this isn't a smack thread, just thought I'd offer some neat comparisons...Broncos Rule!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BarkdogRX7 View Post
                          Exactly, I was going to post this as well. No way can u say we draft poorly. Our drafts are never STELLAR, but they're good. Millen is an idiot
                          I would disagree, It is looking like we got at least 2 pro bowl players in '06. Possible furute HOF? The way there playing now I would say thats quite a chance.

                          '06 might turn out to have been the best draft ever by the broncos.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I was not saying I think we are now. I was merely sharing the info and seeing what you all thought
                            Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                            Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                            Tweet me @JoRo_5551

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X