Can we all agree on one thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we all agree on one thing?

No more comparisons between Jay Cutler and John Elway. It's becoming pathetic. I believe Jay Cutler is a great young QB, but I'm tired of hearing Broncos fans say he's the second coming of John Elway. He's not the second coming of John Elway, he's the first coming of Jay Cutler. Why do Broncos fans feel the need to measure their QBs by the Elway stick? Over at the Chargers forum, I never hear anything like that about Philip Rivers and Dan Fouts. We don't do that because it's silly.

Originally posted by LightningBolt View Post
    No more comparisons between Jay Cutler and John Elway. It's becoming pathetic. I believe Jay Cutler is a great young QB, but I'm tired of hearing Broncos fans say he's the second coming of John Elway. He's not the second coming of John Elway, he's the first coming of Jay Cutler. Why do Broncos fans feel the need to measure their QBs by the Elway stick? Over at the Chargers forum, I never hear anything like that about Philip Rivers and Dan Fouts. We don't do that because it's silly.
    That's because Dan Fouts was no Elway.

Elway is the measuring stick for our QB's because he's the guy that got us to the SB and finally won it.
    You guys wouldn't know anything about that (sorry, couldn't resist). But seriously, if Rivers happens to finally get to the big one and win it, whatever QB comes after him will be measured by the Rivers stick.

Another thing. I think the comparisons have changed a bit. It's not about comparing skills, or talent, or style anymore, it's about comparing leadership and confidence. Cutler is well on his way to being the definitive face of the Broncos just as Elway was.

Comment

you're stupid dolt head

yeah Jay Cutler is no John Elway....YET

he's not there now, but he certainly has the potential to be there

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Hyde View Post
        That's because Dan Fouts was no Elway.

Elway is the measuring stick for our QB's because he's the guy that got us to the SB and finally won it.
        You guys wouldn't know anything about that (sorry, couldn't resist). But seriously, if Rivers happens to finally get to the big one and win it, whatever QB comes after him will be measured by the Rivers stick.

Another thing. I think the comparisons have changed a bit. It's not about comparing skills, or talent, or style anymore, it's about comparing leadership and confidence. Cutler is well on his way to being the definitive face of the Broncos just as Elway was.

The problem is that just like Packers fans are obsessed with Brett Favre, Broncos fans are obsessed with John Elway. So, poor Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler will be compared to those two quarterbacks for the rest of their careers and their progress will be measured on that basis. It's unfair to both of them.

Comment

John Elway is John Elway
          &
          Jay Cutler is Jay Cutler

is that a confusing concept?

Comment

It is silly but you've got to remember this is the way it has been since Elway left. Maybe in the future Bronco QB will be compared to Cutler.

On a side note Rivers reminds me of Bernie Kosar with an attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlymarsh15 View Post
              you're stupid dolt head

yeah Jay Cutler is no John Elway....YET

he's not there now, but he certainly has the potential to be there

Once again, you've proved exactly what I'm talking about. You're so obsessed with John Elway that you're trying to measure Cutler to him and base his progress on that. Why don't you realize that Jay Cutler is a different quarterback and that this is a different team and a different era. It's like if Colts fans were comparing Peyton Manning to Johnny Unitas, which I haven't seen them doing by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos6FTW View Post
                John Elway is John Elway
                &
                Jay Cutler is Jay Cutler

is that a confusing concept?

It's not confusing to me and I agree with you completely. So, tell your fellow Broncos fans to stop saying that Cutler is the second coming of Elway.

Comment

I'm not agreeing with the comparisons, but until the Chargers have a QB of Elway's stature...there is no comparison. Sorry Mr. Fouts
                  My other love...
                  sigpic
                  305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

Comment

Why the heck do you care??

I realize there is some jealousy because you never had an Elway, but you're taking it so personal.

Most of us grew up in the Elway era and he WAS the team. Our whole perception of who the Broncos are was formed around Elway. We've been missing his presence and our confidence in him every since he left, and Jay Cutler is the first QB we've seen come here that has the same presence and potential to fill the void we've had since the parting of John.

So Rogers and Cutler will have to put up with comparisons . . . . boo hoo, they're big boys, they can handle it.
                    The best way to get rid of comparisons is to become better, and Jay is on his way.

Comment

It's not confusing to me and I agree with you completely. So, tell your fellow Broncos fans to stop saying that Cutler is the second coming of Elway.
                      Well this is a forum, and your entitled to your own opinion.

& I'm not going to waste any time telling people what to think about Cutler.

Thats my opinion tho...

Comment

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
                        It is silly but you've got to remember this is the way it has been since Elway left. Maybe in the future Bronco QB will be compared to Cutler.

On a side note Rivers reminds me of Bernie Kosar with an attitude.

That's what Marty Schottenheimer said, except for the part about the attitude. His throwing motion is like Dan Marino's though.

Comment

People compare players ALL THE TIME.

If you don't like it, then stay off the boards.

I like comparing them because Elway is not just the QB, but the player that set the benchmark for all great Broncos.

He is the first in the HoF. He is the first to bring a championship to Denver.

Shanahan will be the coach that all future coaches are compared against when he steps down.

Not too mention there are a lot of similarities between Elway and Cutler. Both have rediculously strong arms, confidence and attitude, and leadership qulities that are all rarely found in one person.

I like the comparisons, as it allows me to relive great memories, and provides hope that we may see that type of success for years to come.

Now, comparing chargerfans to real fans, that's another story...

Comment

We dont compare them completly, we think he shows glimpses of Elway when hes in the pocket and releases a rocket, U gotta agree they do have very alike skills?!!!! But I do agree alot of fans hope he is the next Elway but others think hes the next best thing to hit the Broncos since the Elway days!!! Cutler=Best qb since the Elway era.
                            sigpic

THANK YOU FOR THE SIG McSMASHIE
                            !!!!

2009 ADOPTED BRONCO; ROBERT AYERS

Comment

His throwing motion is like Dan Marino's though.

Marino had one of the quickest, "crisp"-est throws ever.

Phillips, not so much. I like the Kosar comparison.

But, I thougt we weren't allowed to compare QB's

Comment

Working...
                              X