Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shannahan is a genius at drafting offense, not so much on defense...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shannahan is a genius at drafting offense, not so much on defense...

Throughout Shannahan's career, he has been proclaimed an offensive genius, and he has proven it while here in Denver. Year after year he finds offensive players that become pro-bowlers and put up monster numbers (except that stretch of horrible WRs he drafted <_<). It's a pretty big list of all the offensive talent he's found over years, not all of them are with the team anymore but they went to find success elsewhere. If there's one thing that's sure in Denver, its that Shannahan will always have a top flight offensive unit.

But now we move onto defense. Ever since the super bowl seasons, the defense has been on a steady decline. They've had some ups (2005 season) and some downs (last two season), but overall the defense has been nothing spectacular. Hell, even the Super Bowl defenses weren't that great, but they were leaps and bounds above anything we've had since.

Why such the drastic decline? Simple, Shannahan and Co. are not good at drafting defensive players. Since his tenure here in Denver, he has drafted six standout defensive players: Elvis Dumervil, Al Wilson, D.J. Williams, Darrent Williams, Trevor Pryce and (arguably) Ian Gold. Now, only two of them are still on the team.

This is a horrible number. Take a stellar Bears defense. They have seven drafted starters on their team, and that's not even counting the rookies. That's 7 out of 11 players compared to Denver's 2 out of 11. The only drafted starter aside from Dumervil and Williams is Marcus Thomas, and he hasn't been spectacular either.

Obviously something is flawed here. You don't go almost 12 season and only draft two outstanding players, while relying on free agency for the other 9 spots on defense. What is going on? Why does the Denver FO suck so bad at drafting defense? All the offensive grabs in the last three years have been brilliant, but we're facing an almost all bust 2007 draft class. Free Agency has never won a team the superbowl, when is Denver going to figure this out?

I wouldn't go that far. Marcus Nash was a huge flop, so was Darius Watts.

AL Wilson, John Mobley, Trevor Pryce were all solid defensive picks.
    sigpic

In this picture, Rivers explains why he thinks he is so good.

Is that Y=LT?

Comment

I added a line about the awful WRs. I think we'll do better to forget we ever drafted them.

Comment

I think the constant changing of DCs has been a problem to a degree because you're going to end up getting some guys under one DC who don't fit their successor's plans.

Also, looking from 1998-2005, there are only three names on the DL who we drafted who actually did something: David Bowens, Reggie Hayward and Montae Reagor (although, naturally, he was a late bloomer. And we let him go before he bloomed). That's both bad scouting and also shows that we've not really had great DL coaches either. Bill Johnson's been better. Moss and Crowder haven't done so well so far (I still put their slow development partially down to learning run contain when they got into the NFL only to switch back to a a more standard scheme in week 6 last year) but Dumervil really came on under him and Marcus Thomas is showing good signs. I think the failures on the DL have come partly because we simply haven't drafted them early in general. They're high risk picks, but considering we took guys like Middlebrooks instead...

LBs are the only guys we regularly score with in the draft and that's mostly because they're the "safest" picks possible on D. It looks like we may be turning things round though; I'm hoping that at least 2/3 of the 07 DL work out and it's not inconceivable. They may all prove starter-worthy yet even though the outlook is not exactly rosy right now.
        sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by Breakaway23 View Post
          I wouldn't go that far. Marcus Nash was a huge flop, so was Darius Watts.

AL Wilson, John Mobley, Trevor Pryce were all solid defensive picks.
          Agreed with nash, but i believe that watts would have been a good number 2 receiver haven he had a quarterback that could get him the ball on a consistent basis. yes, he dropped a few that he should have had and that were pivotal but i think that we should've kept him...
          --bringin' the pain--

:orton:

Comment

Originally posted by TheSmith28 View Post
            Agreed with nash, but i believe that watts would have been a good number 2 receiver haven he had a quarterback that could get him the ball on a consistent basis. yes, he dropped a few that he should have had and that were pivotal but i think that we should've kept him...
            Watts was going to either be huge or nothing. He basically had a slashed nerve in his hand which obviously didn't help him catching the ball. He couldn't adjust at the Pro level with that disability and so he just faded out. It was a shame because he was great at getting separation.
            sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

thats what i'm saying...oh well now we have emac2 (royal)
              --bringin' the pain--

:orton:

Comment

ya know I dunno I think he's been decent (not great) on the defensive side, DJ and dummerville are both solid, plus he's done relatively well on FA signings and trades. you know this year we got larsen, woodyard, and JMFW that arn't really starting material yet but have a lot of freaking potential and honestly I know everyone wants to call moss a bust which he may very well be but I think he's also got some potential...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                  ya know I dunno I think he's been decent (not great) on the defensive side, DJ and dummerville are both solid, plus he's done relatively well on FA signings and trades. you know this year we got larsen, woodyard, and JMFW that arn't really starting material yet but have a lot of freaking potential and honestly I know everyone wants to call moss a bust which he may very well be but I think he's also got some potential...
                  I still want moss in there now in passing situations at LB have him blitz from a LB spot where his speed would create mismatches (i heard he ran a 4.4) or have him cover the flats or anything just put him on the field and let him make plays

Comment

Originally posted by Chaboyer View Post
                    I still want moss in there now in passing situations at LB have him blitz from a LB spot where his speed would create mismatches (i heard he ran a 4.4) or have him cover the flats or anything just put him on the field and let him make plays
                    well the fact that he hasn't even been active makes me wonder what is going on...he most have gotten on shanny's badside.
                    sigpic

Comment

......:shake:......:nono:............

Comment

Originally posted by Chaboyer View Post
                        Jarvis Moss hasn't run a 4.4 since he was a 215lb recruit, his best time leading up to the draft was a 4.67, which is still very good......

Comment

DJ Williams.....

Comment

Hios drafts in general were terrible between 2000-2005.

He seems to have got that corrected recently, however, although Moss, Crowder and Thomas need to pan out for the defense to have a recovery.

Comment

Al Wilson
                              John Mobley
                              Trevor Price
                              Elvis Dumerville
                              Darrent Williams (r.i.p.)
                              D.J. Williams
                              Deltha O'neal (hey he has had a couple good years)

.....those aren't bad choices.....and lots of them were pro-bowlers....some have/had ( ) great potential
                              "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

sigpic
                              -The best in the business-

Comment

Working...
                              X