Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shanahan, Cutler await Torain's expected return (and more)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanahan, Cutler await Torain's expected return (and more)

Just thought I'd pass this on since we have so many Torain hopefuls:
    Broncos report: Shanahan, Cutler await Torain's expected return

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...-torian-close/

A secret weapon? Not exactly.

"Just maybe one people don't expect," Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler said.

Somewhat lost in all the numbers the Broncos offense has put up in three games is the fact the guy who just might have been their starting running back is close to returning to practice.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said Friday that rookie Ryan Torain is on track to return to practice in the days leading up to the Broncos' Oct. 20 game in New England. If all goes well, Torain could play after the Broncos' Oct. 26 bye. The Broncos will face the Miami Dolphins on Nov. 2 at Invesco Field at Mile High.

"From what we saw in camp, the kid is an explosive runner and in the second half of the season, guys get worn down and we're going to pop this fresh kid in there," Cutler said. "It's going to be exciting to watch."

Torain suffered a fractured left elbow and some ligament damage that required surgery in early August. At the time, he steadily was moving up the team's depth chart, with Shanahan saying, before any preseason games had been played, that Torain was headed toward being the team's starter.

At the time, Shanahan called him "one of the most gifted running backs I've been around, and I've been around for a long time, very similar to Terrell Davis when he came in."

Torain, who still is wearing a brace on his left arm for much of his day around the Broncos' Dove Valley complex, has been doing conditioning work and exercises to regain the range of motion in his arm.

"I'm excited, I'm just going to keep working hard and get back," Torain said. "I started running, and that's when it started to feel like it's getting closer, like I was taking some strides. It's going to be fun."

At 225 pounds, Torain is considered the team's best power/speed combination in the backfield. In two seasons at Arizona State, he averaged 5.4 yards per carry, and he rushed for 1,229 yards as a junior.

He played in only six games as a senior because of a foot injury that required surgery. Some teams didn't like his speed at the scouting combine - he ran in the 4.6s in his 40-yard dashes, 4.71 on the electronic clock - but others believed his speed would improve as he continued to recover from his foot surgery.

Shanahan consistently has pointed to Torain's ability to cut at nearly full speed during the Broncos workouts, which enable a runner to play faster than his timed speed. Torain showed enough in the first two weeks of camp that the Broncos kept him on the 53- man roster rather than place him on injured reserve for the season.

"The guys on defense were saying that all along," Cutler said. "He's going to have some impact for us."

For Torain, this week has been slightly disappointing. The back who went to high school in suburban Shawnee Mission, Kan., was hoping to play in Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday. Torain almost certainly will face the Chiefs on Dec. 7 in Denver, but he will have to wait until next season to play in front of family and friends.

"It would have been great to play Sunday," Torain said. "It would have been great for the family to come out and watch me. But the Chiefs still have got to come here, and my family is still coming out for that."

Watchful eye

Broncos defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, who did not practice Wednesday, took about half the plays in the workout Friday.

"(He's) still a little sore," Shanahan said. "He still managed to take half. We'll see how he is (today)."

Defensive tackle Josh Shaw, a regular in the rotation despite having signed with the team just before the regular-season opener, already is out for the next two to three games because of a partially torn groin.

So the Broncos will have to adjust if Robertson cannot play Sunday.

Kenny Peterson will play plenty against the Chiefs, and Nic Clemons, a game-day inactive the past two games, likely will be in uniform as well.

The Broncos also would move defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban inside to one of the tackle spots on passing downs, and end Tim Crowder also can play tackle in some situations.

The Broncos also used a 3-4 look on defense, with only one defensive tackle in the middle of the three-man front, for 21 snaps against the Saints last weekend.

"So, we've got some depth there," Shanahan said.

Remember when

The Chiefs, 0-3, are squarely in the middle of a rebuilding effort that has left their roster filled with young players and a little thin in spots.

Coach Herm Edwards even compared it to when he was on Tony Dungy's staff with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

When Dungy was hired by the Buccaneers in 1997, the team had won more than six games in a season only once from 1983 to 1996, and that was a 7-9 season in '96.

"But we probably had more players left than we do (in Kansas City)," Edwards said.

Edwards maintained that it hadn't diminished his efforts, though, to push the team through its paces each week.

"When I don't prepare people, when I don't think we can win, then I'm gonna go get another job doing something else," Edwards said. "We put too much into it not to prepare to win, and that's the great thing about athletics."

Etc.

* Broncos tight end Nate Jackson suffered a rib injury in practice Friday and was sporting plenty of ice after the workout. He will be evaluated more today. Jackson has played in every game so far this season and has four receptions and a touchdown.

* With his team heading into its game Sunday as a heavy favorite, Shanahan was asked if Oregon State's victory against No. 1-ranked Southern California on Thursday night could be a red flag. "All it takes is . . . be a little off-key and not ready to play, that's how upsets are made."

* Cutler will be featured on ESPN's pregame show Sunday. He talks about how he deals with his Type 1 diabetes.

* Chiefs cornerback Patrick Surtain isn't expected to play Sunday because of an ankle injury. Kansas City likely will start two rookies at the corners - Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr.

30-30-30 club

If the Broncos defense has allowed the Chiefs the opportunity to hand the ball to Larry Johnson at least 30 times in a game, the Broncos have lost the game. Denver is 0-3 against the Chiefs when Johnson has had at least 30 carries in a game.

Date Attempts Yards TDs Result

Dec. 19, 2004 30 151 2 Chiefs, 45-17

Dec. 4, 2005 30 140 2 Chiefs, 31-27

Nov. 23, 2006 34 157 1 Chiefs, 19-10
    Here's hoping the kid can live up to the hype (by Bronco fans) in the second half of the season.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Hopefully he does well, the Dolphins should be a good game to start him in too.
    sigpic
    Made by Houshmazode

Comment

Awesome read.
      Thanks, Reid!
      sigpic
      Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

When he comes back, who is leaving?

We'll have to get rid of one of our backs, right?

Comment

Can't wait for ESPN's pregame show, It's not often the broncos get much attention from the network
          Josh McD support since 2009
          Broncos fan since 1979

Comment

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
            When he comes back, who is leaving?

We'll have to get rid of one of our backs, right?
            No... he's remained on the active roster and has been costing us a spot all this time.

Just goes to show how much faith Shanny has in him. Didn't want to IR him because he knew he'd be valuable later in the year.
            Thanks, Reid!
            sigpic
            Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

I hope Torain turns out to be everything folks are making him out to be. I just can't bring myself to get excited about his return just yet. There's been a ton of talk about him since he got here and all he's done thus far is break his elbow.

It goes without saying that Shanny/Bobby Turner usually have a good eye for RB talent, but there are plenty of guys in that mix that didn't work out like they were hyped up to do, too (Tatum Bell, Mike Bell, Quentin Griffin, Maurice Clarett). Shanny likes to say things like "I can't believe he was still available in the ___ round, I had him as a first round talent", but it doesn't mean the guy really is that talented or will make that much of an impact.

With the way we've gone away from the run as our money maker so far this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see Torain make little to no contribution other than eating up some of Pittman's short yardage and goal line carries when he returns.

Comment

Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
                I hope Torain turns out to be everything folks are making him out to be. I just can't bring myself to get excited about his return just yet. There's been a ton of talk about him since he got here and all he's done thus far is break his elbow.

It goes without saying that Shanny/Bobby Turner usually have a good eye for RB talent, but there are plenty of guys in that mix that didn't work out like they were hyped up to do, too (Tatum Bell, Mike Bell, Quentin Griffin, Maurice Clarett). Shanny likes to say things like "I can't believe he was still available in the ___ round, I had him as a first round talent", but it doesn't mean the guy really is that talented or will make that much of an impact.

With the way we've gone away from the run as our money maker so far this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see Torain make little to no contribution other than eating up some of Pittman's short yardage and goal line carries when he returns.
                I doubt that he ever said any of those runningbacks were anything similar to TD. Miami does look like a good game for him to come back in even if they do have good LBs in Porter and Crowder. Especially if he's coming in strong in the 2nd half. And why would he only take goal line and third & short carries if he IS supposed to come in strong in the 2nd half?
                2010 Draft
                1st Round- ILB: Rolando McClain (Alabama)
                2nd Round- DE: Allen Bailey (Miami)
                3rd Round- C: Stefen Wisniewski (Penn State)
                4th Round- CB: Walter Thurmond (Oregon)
                6th Round- KR/PR: Brandon Banks (KSU)
                7th Round- RB: Stafon Johnson (USC)

FA Signings-
                NT: Casey Hampton
                OG: Logan Mankins

"Veni, Vidi, Vici"

Comment

Torain

I have looked and looked but cannot seem to find the article where Shanny compares Torain to TD. From what i see we have almost all of the pieces on offense just like we had in the Superbowl years. Eddy MAc- Rod Smith= Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal. Tony Scheffler is as close as i have seen to Shannon Sharpe. And we have at least one extra palyer in Brandon Stokely.

Now if Torain gives us a back, even close to what TD did i see more Superbowls in our future.

I cannot help but get excited with the way the Bronc's are headed. We do need some improvement on Defense but i was encouraged by their goal line stance against NO. It showed a lot of heart and Skill. If Slowik can come up with some good defensive schemes we would be unstoppable just like the 97-98 teams.
                  People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

sigpic

Comment

Cant wait for him to get on that field so we can have a steady run game that defenses will fear!!!
                    Winner of the 2012 Broncomania GM game

Comment

Originally posted by tacmale View Post
                      I have looked and looked but cannot seem to find the article where Shanny compares Torain to TD. From what i see we have almost all of the pieces on offense just like we had in the Superbowl years. Eddy MAc- Rod Smith= Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal. Tony Scheffler is as close as i have seen to Shannon Sharpe. And we have at least one extra palyer in Brandon Stokely.

Now if Torain gives us a back, even close to what TD did i see more Superbowls in our future.

I cannot help but get excited with the way the Bronc's are headed. We do need some improvement on Defense but i was encouraged by their goal line stance against NO. It showed a lot of heart and Skill. If Slowik can come up with some good defensive schemes we would be unstoppable just like the 97-98 teams.
                      I think this is the most explosive offense I have seen in Denver in many years now. I agree with everything said here but I think in some ways we are even more explosive on offense than in the past. By the time John had the supporting cast that Cutler does now he was way past his prime. Also as you made mention of John didnt have that slot back that was so good at possession catches like Stokely is. We wound up using Eddie Mac for a LOT of our middle routes. I think Royal will have another game very soon that shows he is an elite rookie in this league and capable of being the number one reciever on most teams. Add two number one recievers to a slot reciever that catches everything but the cold, a TE that can catch the ball on the fly, and the possible revival of our run game behind a rookie that has Shannahan excited about? We are SO young and have so many good years ahead of us if injuries keep their distance....I can't predict the future but I sure am looking forwards to seeing it unfold.

Comment

This is what stood out to me - 'Chiefs cornerback Patrick Surtain isn't expected to play Sunday because of an ankle injury. Kansas City likely will start two rookies at the corners - Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr. '

Hey Scheley, Nice girl!!!!

Comment

Torian is gonna be my fantasy team's secret weapon. No one knows anything about him at this point. I am tempted to put him on my bench now. Mark my words he is gonna be a stud. Better than Portis.

Comment

Can't wait to see what Torain can do.

He's a big boy, and a downhill runner. Does that sound like a match made in heaven with Denver?

The only problem I have with him, is that I know he runs too upright which make it more likely for him to get injured as a RB in the NFL.

Comment

:dance::dance::dance: i cant wait for ryan torain........................

Comment

Working...
                              X