Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shanahan, Cutler await Torain's expected return (and more)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
    Can't wait to see what Torain can do.

He's a big boy, and a downhill runner. Does that sound like a match made in heaven with Denver?

The only problem I have with him, is that I know he runs too upright which make it more likely for him to get injured as a RB in the NFL.
    Yep, Adrian Peterson also runs too upright. Hopefully, good coaching will teach him to lean a bit more.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

So the Broncos will have to adjust if Robertson cannot play Sunday.

Kenny Peterson will play plenty against the Chiefs, and Nic Clemons, a game-day inactive the past two games, likely will be in uniform as well.

The Broncos also would move defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban inside to one of the tackle spots on passing downs, and end Tim Crowder also can play tackle in some situations.

"So, we've got some depth there," Shanahan said.

Bullcrap, if that were true, Mike, you would have already traded away that depth......

Comment

Originally posted by tacmale View Post
        I have looked and looked but cannot seem to find the article where Shanny compares Torain to TD. From what i see we have almost all of the pieces on offense just like we had in the Superbowl years. Eddy MAc- Rod Smith= Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal. Tony Scheffler is as close as i have seen to Shannon Sharpe. And we have at least one extra palyer in Brandon Stokely.

Now if Torain gives us a back, even close to what TD did i see more Superbowls in our future.

I cannot help but get excited with the way the Bronc's are headed. We do need some improvement on Defense but i was encouraged by their goal line stance against NO. It showed a lot of heart and Skill. If Slowik can come up with some good defensive schemes we would be unstoppable just like the 97-98 teams.
        Posted by ESPN.com' s Bill Williamson

The news that Ryan Torain may be ready to play several weeks earlier than expected good news for Denver.

Torain now may be ready to play Oct. 20 against New England. After he broke his elbow Aug. 6, it was expected that he'd be out for at least three months. However, this week, there was quiet optimism that Torain was making fast progress.

Don't discount this development. The Broncos love Torain and some in the organization were devastated by his injury. The Broncos think he can make a major difference because of size and ability to play in Denver's running scheme. When Torain was injured, Denver coach Mike Shanahan compared him to Terrell Davis.

Will Torain be the next Davis? Who knows, but it seems like Denver is going to find out sooner than later.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest?tag=ryan%20torain

Actually, he only said Torain is "Very similar to Terrell Davis when came in", which is Shanahan's way of comparing the two without actually saying he's as good as TD.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10120440

Shanahan feeds his own Hype knowing full well that any back will do well in his system, in turn further cementing his reputation as The Running back Whisperer......and if Torain turns out to be just the Next Mike Anderson instead, he can always say: "I didn't say Torain was the Next Terrell Davis, I said they were similar coming out of college". Not unlike his comments about Brian Griese and Joe Montana.

I'm not getting my hopes up of Torain being anything close to Terrell Davis, he was a 5th round pick for a reason (Yeah, I know people, Davis was a 6th round pick......just......don't) and most people would agree that had he went to any other team he'd still be considered closer to Anderson in talent, which is to say, a very average overall talent and not a special player like Davis......

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
          I'm not getting my hopes up of Torain being anything close to Terrell Davis, he was a 5th round pick for a reason (Yeah, I know people, Davis was a 6th round pick......just......don't) and most people would agree that had he went to any other team he'd still be considered closer to Anderson in talent, which is to say, a very average overall talent and not a special player like Davis......
          I don't have my hopes up... but at the same time, we haven't seen Shanahan praise a rookie RB like Shanahan has praised Torrain. Not Bell, not even Portis. I'm not saying Torrain is going to be a hit, but I'm also saying there is NO reason as of yet, to doubt that he has talent. The round you are picked in, does NOT guarantee success in the NFL. Torrain's injury his senior year would OBVIOUSLY hurt his draft status, and that just can't be denied. So in reality, we just don't KNOW how good he is or isn't.. ... other than all the praise he was getting from TC (and not just from Shanahan).

I DO believe that he is a better combination of strength and speed than anyone else on the roster. That alone could very well show up as IMPROVEMENT to the running game/running back.

I know you want to see Shanahan spend a TOP round pick on a RB, but if Torrain is a solid RB.. I would much rather we NOT and use that pick on defense. I think its GREAT that we can use lower round backs and have a successful running game. Ask the Chiefs who have a top RB being paid big money how thats working out for them.

Comment

Sorry... I just cant get behind a RB that is always injured (been hurt every year since JC), wasnt that great in college, or is this overly hyped up. It seems that all the runners that are hyped (not this bad but still hyped) Clarrett, Q, Bell are all busts... It is the come from no where guys that have a good season (Anderson, Gary), Yet of all the years, and all the backs only TD and Portis where great runners. I just dont understand all the praise going to this guy who has never seen an NFL field. Why not see if the guy can play first. Cause what I saw at ASU... Leaves a lot to be desired
            Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Im anxious to see him in action, but im a proud supporter of selvin young!....Hes my favorite back in the league and I think he does not get enough credit or carries. I hope that selvin and torain are the duo we see. If torain lives up to his hype and is indeed game starting material, I think we'll have the best 2 back set in the league!...but dont forget about selvin! Hes an extremely good back, he just needs more opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                I don't have my hopes up... but at the same time, we haven't seen Shanahan praise a rookie RB like Shanahan has praised Torrain. Not Bell, not even Portis. I'm not saying Torrain is going to be a hit, but I'm also saying there is NO reason as of yet, to doubt that he has talent. The round you are picked in, does NOT guarantee success in the NFL. Torrain's injury his senior year would OBVIOUSLY hurt his draft status, and that just can't be denied. So in reality, we just don't KNOW how good he is or isn't.. ... other than all the praise he was getting from TC (and not just from Shanahan).

I DO believe that he is a better combination of strength and speed than anyone else on the roster. That alone could very well show up as IMPROVEMENT to the running game/running back.

I know you want to see Shanahan spend a TOP round pick on a RB, but if Torrain is a solid RB.. I would much rather we NOT and use that pick on defense. I think its GREAT that we can use lower round backs and have a successful running game. Ask the Chiefs who have a top RB being paid big money how thats working out for them.
                I believe Torain has talent, and I don't hold the fact that I'd like to see a franchise back brought in against him, or any of the other Broncos backs, for that matter.

It's nothing against Ryan Torain, I'm sure he's a great guy, I'm positive he'll do very well in Denver.

But, Torain's injury in his senior season didn't hurt his status any more than other the injuries he's had since getting to the college level......sure, people will tell you that he wouldn't have been a 1st round pick had he not been injured, but there is no reason to believe that.

He recovered well enough to run a 4.51 on his ProDay, had he been considered a 1st round talent before his injury his stock wouldn't have been effected enough to fall that far. Look no further than Jonathon Stewart for proof of that, he also had a foot injury that required surgery but he declared early anyway, he ran a great time and was still drafted in the 1st round.

Stewart is the perfect example of a player going in the 1st round, despite an injury, simply because he is a 1st round talent. So, despite what Shanahan say's, Torain might just be what he appears to be, a 5th round talent who was considered a tough, physical back that is hard to bring down, but is nothing special.

This is where I'm supposed to recognize that Shanahan knows more than me, that's fine......but the thing is, I don't think Shanahan believes that Torain is actually a 1st round talent that compares to Terrell Davis, either......

Comment

Ryan Torain = Larry Johnson (talent wise)

they are both roughly the same size and have the same physical attributes...they're strong, tough runners with deceptive speed

Comment

Originally posted by beastlymarsh15 View Post
                    Ryan Torain = Larry Johnson (talent wise)

they are both roughly the same size and have the same physical attributes...they're strong, tough runners with deceptive speed
                    C'mon?

Terrell Davis and Larry Johnson? He's done exactly nothing to earn the reputation he's been given as a professional.

Add that to the Eddie Royal = Steve Smith/Devin Hester comparisons, but at least Royal has played a minute in a professional game......

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                      C'mon?

Terrell Davis and Larry Johnson? He's done exactly nothing to earn the reputation he's been given as a professional.

Add that to the Eddie Royal = Steve Smith/Devin Hester comparisons, but at least Royal has played a minute in a professional game......
                      that's why i put talent wise stnzed....i know Torain hasnt done anything in the NFL...but his physical attributes are very similar to Larry Johnson...that's all i was trying to say

Comment

Originally posted by beastlymarsh15 View Post
                        that's why i put talent wise stnzed....i know Torain hasnt done anything in the NFL...but his physical attributes are very similar to Larry Johnson...that's all i was trying to say
                        Not even close..... LJ runs (or ran before the injuries) a solid 4.4.. Torian cant touch 4.6... LJ Rushed for over 2k yards in a single season @ Penn State, Torian could only manage 1100..... They are a world apart in talent and pedigree.... If I were to make a comparasion... I would have to say Corell Buckhalter (sp??) from Philly
                        Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                          This is what stood out to me - 'Chiefs cornerback Patrick Surtain isn't expected to play Sunday because of an ankle injury. Kansas City likely will start two rookies at the corners - Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr. '

Hey Scheley, Nice girl!!!!
                          r u talking to me?
                          Winner of the 2012 Broncomania GM game

Comment

I am excited to seeing Torain play. What's really great is that we are likely to have an exceptionally strong first 1/2 season, without Torain. And if he returns around mid season, it may just be another step in the right direction for our club, just when we may need a little spark of some kind... although I'm confident we will be playing solid offence all year, with the guys we have now. But nothing wrong with some fresh legs, and from a guy who's out to prove his worth to an organization who believes in him. So from an offensive perspective, the pieces keep falling into place to our advantage. Just imagine if some of this stuff rubs off on our D. I'm sure it will.

Comment

Could be a blessing in disguise. He gets to see/feel the game for awhile, and who knows how the offense would be right now if he is that good?

Bringing him in later and adding him to this offense can make it that much more powerful, instead of having tried to balance it all from the start of the season, with all the youth it has.

Comment

Working...
                              X