Champ Bailey, the greatest corner back in the league who doesn't cover #1's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    Name me one corner in the league who doesn't cover the other teams best receiver more often then not?

Nnamdi Asomugha
    Terrence Newman
    Asante Samuel
    Charles Woodson
    Rhonde Barber
    Antonio Cromartie

Notice a pattern here? All of the teams these guys play on have a competent to very good corner playing across from them. And with Champ it's no different. People like to trash Bly, but he's done a pretty good job imo holding up his end of the bargain playing across from Champ.

Comment

Champ should be on the best receiver...It's that simple.

Why have your best CB (maybe best in the league), playing against a #2 scrub... while watching the opposing #1 RAPE a rookie.

It's just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
        Champ should be on the best receiver...It's that simple.

Why have your best CB (maybe best in the league), playing against a #2 scrub... while watching the opposing #1 RAPE a rookie.

It's just stupid.

its because he is our best run support DB, our safeties suck especially manuel. for his first game as a rookie JW did quite well he gave up 1 maybe 2 plays to bowe, but bly was on him most of the game. JW, champ, and dre were not the problem this last game.....it is and has been our piss poor safety play against the run and in coverage.

Comment

just as a simple guess? Champ stays on the strongside since most runs and QB bootlegs tend to go to that side, I don't agree that its a wise way to utilize his skills but it may be possible that they keep him there in run support and to cover receivers on that side of the field when the QB rolls out?

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
            So Slowik was telling him to stay on the left side of the field every play since we brought him in here even though Slowik wasn't a DC until this year?
            How long ws he the DBs coach though? The scheme weve run for the secondary has been the same for a long time. We need to start playing more press man, and blitzing more.
            sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
            SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
              What is up with this?

First we had to suffer and watch Paymah cover Chris Chambers, and now we have to watch J"MF"W try and cover Bowe.

Does big Bob know we have Champ Bailey? There's no point in having him if he's not used for covering the #1 receiver.

It's pathetic....
              well some of us got what we wanted...jack williams was played over karl paymah...and it wasnt any better...

as far as what you said...i noticed that too...champ bailey was hardly lined up with dwayne bowe...which is a big mistake

Comment

I'm starting to think champ might actually be comeing back down to earth.

If teams know he is gonna play one side. and denver does not adjust to this i am calling out the scheme or coach
                The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                While he sits by his hearth at home.
                Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosinindy View Post
                  I'm starting to think champ might actually be comeing back down to earth.

If teams know he is gonna play one side. and denver does not adjust to this i am calling out the scheme or coach
                  He could be.. but then again you can always say a corner is as only as good as his pass rush.

But pass rush or no pass rush, you shouldn't be putting inexperienced corner's on the opposing teams #1 receiver.

Don't tell me Champ is on one side to defend the run... I could really care less, and hope that's not the answer. Our run D is just as bad with him on that one side, and I'd rather have him defending the best #1 then on one side to stop the run here and there.

Comment

Champ is the greatest CB in the league that came in and completely upended LJ and forced a fumble that keep the Broncos in the game a little longer ..

The game is about finding mismatches ....

Why the Broncos had JW on Bowe I have no idea but Champ did not give up them yards..
                    Last edited by LarryDean; 09-28-2008, 02:59 PM.
                    :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

You guys got to understand that having a great run stopping corner is a double-edged sword.

Generally speaking, they line up in a specific position and stay there, especially when you don't play a lot of man coverage.

That allows other teams to create some mismatches.

The Chiefs obviously worked on that a lot this week. We picked on Dre Bly an awful lot.

Like anything though, pass coverage is not just about one person...even when you have arguably the best cover guy in the league.

We started the game with two rookie corners in Brandon Carr and Brandon Flowers. They were part of what turned out to be a good scheme, and made some plays.

Bailey is still the best, but until that RUN DEFENSE is shored up, you're gonna see a lot more mismatches.

Comment

Champ, like any other good corner, can only be expected to cover a WR for a few seconds. If he has a good run defense, and a decent pass rush, it allows him the freedom to pick his spots and try to jump the receivers first move once in a while. Since he has to keep his eyes in the backfield (run defense sucks) AND he knows he's got double moves coming from the wideouts (pass rush sucks and swallows), he hasn't had any pick-6s in a while.

That being said, he hasn't had a great year to start, and I did see him (for some reason) covering the Chiefs 250 lb fullback on a couple plays (???????).

Dre Bly is the most over-rated player I've ever seen. He gets burned regularly, he can't tackle, and I can't remember the last turnover he forced. We should have kept Fox at the other corner and cut Bly, but I guess with Bly's contract we couldn't do that

Comment

Originally posted by RedStormRising View Post
                          You guys got to understand that having a great run stopping corner is a double-edged sword.

Generally speaking, they line up in a specific position and stay there, especially when you don't play a lot of man coverage.

That allows other teams to create some mismatches.

The Chiefs obviously worked on that a lot this week. We picked on Dre Bly an awful lot.

Like anything though, pass coverage is not just about one person...even when you have arguably the best cover guy in the league.

We started the game with two rookie corners in Brandon Carr and Brandon Flowers. They were part of what turned out to be a good scheme, and made some plays.

Bailey is still the best, but until that RUN DEFENSE is shored up, you're gonna see a lot more mismatches.
                          Word ... I cant disagree
                          :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

It was unacceptable to see Bowe catching all those balls and not having Champ covering him. Where is the shutdown CB when we need? Oh, he is covering the #2 guy...
                            sigpic

Comment

The people in this thread are extremely unintelligent. If you watch games, Teams line up with formations to get the matchup they want.

CHamp and Bly play on their sides and rarely switch. They dont usually line up #1 on champ for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by cammina View Post
                                The people in this thread are extremely unintelligent. If you watch games, Teams line up with formations to get the matchup they want.

CHamp and Bly play on their sides and rarely switch. They dont usually line up #1 on champ for a reason.
                                Well then the D needs to make a change, because it is unacceptable to have your best CB lining up on a #2.

Seriously, it's not that hard to make the change.

If there are 3 receivers on the field, and 3 corners... line up accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                                X