Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a talent problem.... according to SI

Grade: F
    Denver defense. This grade has been building all season long and finally had to be handed out. The words Denver and defense should never be uttered in the same sentence again this season.All the plotting scheming and planning is not going to help this bunch. As I mentioned in my Frankly Football column on Friday, the Broncos cannot tackle or pass rush, and they clearly cannot cover from their scheme. They had been able to play the run, until yesterday -- giving up 198 yards to Larry Johnson. As good as the Broncos have been on offense, they have been as bad on defense.

But how can this be you ask? They have millions invested in corners Champ Bailey and Dre Bly. They just signed linebacker D.J. Williams to a hefty extension. They went out in free agency and got two new starting safeties, Marlon McCree and Marquand Manual. They signed new starting linebacker Boss Bailey, traded for defensive tackle Dwayne Robertson, so they have done some fortifications. But big names and winning performances do not always go hand in hand.

The reality is the Broncos lack power and strength in the defensive line and will never control the game with their defensive front. The lack of a pass rush is exposing a secondary poor in tackling and very speed deficient. By the way, has anyone seen 2007 first-round pick Jarvis Moss get near a quarterback this season, or for that matter, make a play? When a team allows at least 32 points in three games, it has a talent problem, not a scheme problem.

From SI.com.... it's in there didn't get the link though sorry
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

He's an idiot...

It's a talent AND scheme problem.

Comment

Fully agree with that.

Defense is controlled by the front 4.

I also have concerns to who the dline coaches are, because they are obviously not doing their job in teaching the players their assignments or more importantly, developing the young talent.

Comment

Our D-line is a joke and has been for years now. If you can't see that's the root of the issue, I recommend watching a new game. We have drafted poorly at these postions and now we are seeing the results.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
          Fully agree with that.

Defense is controlled by the front 4.

I also have concerns to who the dline coaches are, because they are obviously not doing their job in teaching the players their assignments or more importantly, developing the young talent.
          100% right.
          "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

I donno if that hate was at me... but I just was sharing the article.

I think it's the talent of our whole D.

But that's just me. It starts with the Dline masking the very few bright spots we do have.... but we don't have a whole load of talent "hiding" there.

We just don't.
            Bronco fan from Packer Land.
            Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
            Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Yeah, I watch a lot of NFC East games and it just seems like teams like Philly and NY average...not total, but average like 5 sacks a game. I think I counted Philly sacking Orton like 7 times last night. One game Osi had like 6 sacks himself last year, I mean we'd think our D won the SB if they ever got like 4 sacks spreadout thru 4 qtrs...

We need a REAL D coord plain and simple

Comment

Originally posted by BarkdogRX7 View Post
                Yeah, I watch a lot of NFC East games and it just seems like teams like Philly and NY average...not total, but average like 5 sacks a game. I think I counted Philly sacking Orton like 7 times last night. One game Osi had like 6 sacks himself last year, I mean we'd think our D won the SB if they ever got like 4 sacks spreadout thru 4 qtrs...

We need a REAL D coord plain and simple
                I will confess that I'd be ecstatic if we had one of the stronger defenses in the league, and truthfully we're not even close. It's not just talent. It's a lack of creative, intelligent coaching as well. And yes, the stats don't lie....we have 5 sacks and 1 interception after 4 games, which can be accomplished in only one. But I don't get how Dumervil and Thomas (and Crowder and Moss) are not contributing much this year. And not to be confused, but I didn't expect star calibre performances from all of them yet. But what's causing them to disappear? I have to think coaching is a serious issue. Even yesterday, I saw at least one blitz early, and I was happy about it. But after that......I just don't know what happened. Nothing!

I'm sure Shanny must be losing some cool over this, and hopefully will deal with it soon...

As for talent, next offseason will tell us how much the club wants to correct the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by JoRo View Post
                  I donno if that hate was at me... but I just was sharing the article.

I think it's the talent of our whole D.

But that's just me. It starts with the Dline masking the very few bright spots we do have.... but we don't have a whole load of talent "hiding" there.

We just don't.
                  No the hate isn't towards you.

We obviously have some serious problems and the concern is justified. I don't think you find anyone around here NOT concerned.
                  :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Definitely talent and scheme.

1. We have no talent at Safety.

2. Dre Bly is vastly overrated as a starting CB, and our CB depth is deficient following the Foxworth trade.

3. Our LBs are not very good and are playing out of position (IMO). I prefer DJ at MIKE, Winborn at SAM, and Woodyard at WILL. With Boss, Nate, and Niko on the bench.

4. Our DEs have struggled with whatever scheme we are using this year.

5. Our DTs have struggled with whatever scheme we are using this year.

I believe we have the talent on the D-line to succeed, its our scheme that is killing us up front. At LB, I believe we have the talent, we are just not playing the guys we should be at the positions they should be played at. In the secondary, we lack talent and depth, and the schemes have been horrendous. There is no excuse why we aren't putting Champ Bailey on the other team's #1 WR.

Solution: Fire Slowik, hire a D-coordinator that knows his stuff and tell Shanahan to get out of his way. If we would have just let Jim Bates do his thing, we'd have a top 10 defense by now.

Comment

I totally think it is a talent issue. We don't know how to draft Defensive players.................just look at all the future HoF players we passed on for players who are currently working at your local Wal-Mart.
                      Proud Member of the Legion of Doom Beadlemania Team Tebow

Comment

Originally posted by cvnorton View Post
                        I totally think it is a talent issue. We don't know how to draft Defensive players.................just look at all the future HoF players we passed on for players who are currently working at your local Wal-Mart.
                        Well next year's draft should be nothing but defense as we seem to have the offensive side of the ball covered with a young bunch that is looking good.

Even if the offense was a little offensive yesterday.
                        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

There are 2 things to take into consideration.We didnt have DeWayne Robertson yesterday which would have helped in run d .The 2nd thing has to do with Moss.Moss was DC Bates pick last year the thinking was with Sam Adams and Warren at DT him and Dumervill would have 1 on 1 matchups that they could take advantage of with their speed.The scheme has changed as well as personal which hasnt helped Moss or Crowders development.Even though these things have to be taken into account Moss and Crowder should be further along than they are.Remember to Crowder was drafted over Abiamiri or Charles Johnson becuase he was considered a better pass rusher.I do have to wonder about Thomas though he was considered one of the strongest DT in last yrs draft and hasnt been able to hold his ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                            Definitely talent and scheme.

1. We have no talent at Safety.

2. Dre Bly is vastly overrated as a starting CB, and our CB depth is deficient following the Foxworth trade.

3. Our LBs are not very good and are playing out of position (IMO). I prefer DJ at MIKE, Winborn at SAM, and Woodyard at WILL. With Boss, Nate, and Niko on the bench.

4. Our DEs have struggled with whatever scheme we are using this year.

5. Our DTs have struggled with whatever scheme we are using this year.

I believe we have the talent on the D-line to succeed, its our scheme that is killing us up front. At LB, I believe we have the talent, we are just not playing the guys we should be at the positions they should be played at. In the secondary, we lack talent and depth, and the schemes have been horrendous. There is no excuse why we aren't putting Champ Bailey on the other team's #1 WR.

Solution: Fire Slowik, hire a D-coordinator that knows his stuff and tell Shanahan to get out of his way. If we would have just let Jim Bates do his thing, we'd have a top 10 defense by now.
                            I was starting to buy the hype by the end of last season that Bates was just bad, but I'm beginning to think he didn't have the time to implement his scheme correctly here, and that Shanny got in the way too quick and let Slowik call the plays too early. Looking at our D this year I'm pretty sure Slowik was the guy in charge all season long last year, and he is making me miss Coyer terribly.

Comment

Also, the sky is blue, and water is wet...

Comment

Working...
                              X