Scouts Inc.: Against an unlikely opponent, Cutler finally flinches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broncos724 View Post
    The fumbles were a spot of bad luck, I don't expect them to happen, much less 2 in one game. The first interception is a tight window that Cutler has thrown into many times already with success, this time the defender made a nice play was able to pick it off. The second interception was just plain bone-headed. So in my eye 3 of our turnovers, or at the minimum the 2 fumbles, will not happen every week, so I think we'll be fine offensively. Defensively I still think we played decent enough to win, but those 4 turnovers really skewed the numbers. Turnovers are possibly the biggest factor in determining a football game, so the focus should be on eliminating them on offense and forcing them on defense.
    If you watched Reggie Rivers' analysis of Cutler's INTs in the game, he made it pretty clear and evident that both INTs were just bad passes that Cutler shouldn't have thrown. The only thing that made that 2nd INT worse was the fact that Scheffler was wide open in the middle (and as Reggie pointed out, was actually the primary receiver on the play), and was clear enough to likely have gotten a touchdown.

I just find it funny how the quarterback position polarizes fans to such a degree. Cutler had a bad couple of games. He needs to learn, as Peyton Manning did, that it's great to be aggressive and want to get the ball downfield, but you have to ultimately take what the defense gives you, even if that means throwing a short pass in the flat to a wide-open runningback or fullback. Why this unnecessary need to defend him and bash those who state the truth is silly, and really the cause of fear of those who are trying to deny the fact that Cutler is still a ways away from a finished product, and could still turn out to be a bust in this league.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
      He needs to learn, as Peyton Manning did, that it's great to be aggressive and want to get the ball downfield, but you have to ultimately take what the defense gives you, even if that means throwing a short pass in the flat to a wide-open runningback or fullback.
      i agree. i'm a fan of cutler and i think he'll be very good in this league, and this is part of his growing pains. he cannot always rely on his arm, esp if the defense takes away the deep ball. i remember brady dinked and dunked his way last year to a win vs. jags bec they took away randy moss so he went to welker instead - he took what the defense gave him. and he still got the result he wanted, they won. cutler will learn those things, i have no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by saphire1 View Post
        i agree. i'm a fan of cutler and i think he'll be very good in this league, and this is part of his growing pains. he cannot always rely on his arm, esp if the defense takes away the deep ball. i remember brady dinked and dunked his way last year to a win vs. jags bec they took away randy moss so he went to welker instead - he took what the defense gave him. and he still got the result he wanted, they won. cutler will learn those things, i have no doubt.
        Goodpoints saphire,

Being so confident & young, I wonder how BMarshall's goal of '140' affects Cutler's decision making and forcing the ball to #15, instead of taking what defenses give him?

It was 1st and 10 near mid-field on the 2nd INT with several receivers (Schef, Graham) wide open. But I know he's a young gun-slinger and will learn. Funny how what you Love about #6 makes you Cringe at times.

:clap: =
        Last edited by atl-bronco; 09-30-2008, 10:10 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

The cheifs D played pretty good but the two ints had almost nothing to do with good coverage. Cutler decided to throw to marshall before the play even began, and thought he could force it. Mostly it was our offense making bad decisions or their defense making plays, not good schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
            If you watched Reggie Rivers' analysis of Cutler's INTs in the game, he made it pretty clear and evident that both INTs were just bad passes that Cutler shouldn't have thrown. The only thing that made that 2nd INT worse was the fact that Scheffler was wide open in the middle (and as Reggie pointed out, was actually the primary receiver on the play), and was clear enough to likely have gotten a touchdown.

I just find it funny how the quarterback position polarizes fans to such a degree. Cutler had a bad couple of games. He needs to learn, as Peyton Manning did, that it's great to be aggressive and want to get the ball downfield, but you have to ultimately take what the defense gives you, even if that means throwing a short pass in the flat to a wide-open runningback or fullback. Why this unnecessary need to defend him and bash those who state the truth is silly, and really the cause of fear of those who are trying to deny the fact that Cutler is still a ways away from a finished product, and could still turn out to be a bust in this league.
            I still think with that first INT it was more of a great play by the defender than an ill-advised throw. Cutler has been making those tight throws and just about every time the ball is thrown too fast to be picked off. I love how our QB has the confidence, and the ability, in his arm to fit those throws in. Nobody is perfect though and occasionally the throw might be slightly off or the defender might make a nice play. I am willing to live with the occasional error, because I think the benefits of having a confident QB far outweigh the negatives.

Now the second INT, that was just completely dumb and bone-headed
            sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

Originally posted by broncofanatik View Post
              The cheifs D played pretty good but the two ints had almost nothing to do with good coverage. Cutler decided to throw to marshall before the play even began, and thought he could force it. Mostly it was our offense making bad decisions or their defense making plays, not good schemes.
              I kind of agree.

I think that our offense just got outplayed by their defense.

I've seen Manning have bad games, along with Elway, and even Brady. I've even seen Favre look horrific on more than one ocassion, throwing interceptions like they were gift basets. With a gunslinger you live by the sword and you die by the sword.
              sigpic
              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by atl-bronco View Post
                Interesting read on how the Chiefs D-Coordinator Cunningham devised a game plan with less than formidable talent......Slowik should be taking notes.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...-flinches.html
                That's a pretty good article, and I agree 100%. Although I think one of the problems was Cutler forcing the ball downfield and not checking down to wide open TEs and RBs.

Comment

Working...
                X