X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speardog
    replied
    Originally posted by atl-bronco View Post
    Interesting read on how the Chiefs D-Coordinator Cunningham devised a game plan with less than formidable talent......Slowik should be taking notes.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...-flinches.html
    That's a pretty good article, and I agree 100%. Although I think one of the problems was Cutler forcing the ball downfield and not checking down to wide open TEs and RBs.

Leave a comment:

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
    replied
    Originally posted by broncofanatik View Post
    The cheifs D played pretty good but the two ints had almost nothing to do with good coverage. Cutler decided to throw to marshall before the play even began, and thought he could force it. Mostly it was our offense making bad decisions or their defense making plays, not good schemes.
    I kind of agree.

I think that our offense just got outplayed by their defense.

I've seen Manning have bad games, along with Elway, and even Brady. I've even seen Favre look horrific on more than one ocassion, throwing interceptions like they were gift basets. With a gunslinger you live by the sword and you die by the sword.

Leave a comment:

• Broncos724
    replied
    Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
    If you watched Reggie Rivers' analysis of Cutler's INTs in the game, he made it pretty clear and evident that both INTs were just bad passes that Cutler shouldn't have thrown. The only thing that made that 2nd INT worse was the fact that Scheffler was wide open in the middle (and as Reggie pointed out, was actually the primary receiver on the play), and was clear enough to likely have gotten a touchdown.

I just find it funny how the quarterback position polarizes fans to such a degree. Cutler had a bad couple of games. He needs to learn, as Peyton Manning did, that it's great to be aggressive and want to get the ball downfield, but you have to ultimately take what the defense gives you, even if that means throwing a short pass in the flat to a wide-open runningback or fullback. Why this unnecessary need to defend him and bash those who state the truth is silly, and really the cause of fear of those who are trying to deny the fact that Cutler is still a ways away from a finished product, and could still turn out to be a bust in this league.
    I still think with that first INT it was more of a great play by the defender than an ill-advised throw. Cutler has been making those tight throws and just about every time the ball is thrown too fast to be picked off. I love how our QB has the confidence, and the ability, in his arm to fit those throws in. Nobody is perfect though and occasionally the throw might be slightly off or the defender might make a nice play. I am willing to live with the occasional error, because I think the benefits of having a confident QB far outweigh the negatives.

Now the second INT, that was just completely dumb and bone-headed

Leave a comment:

• broncofanatik
    replied
    The cheifs D played pretty good but the two ints had almost nothing to do with good coverage. Cutler decided to throw to marshall before the play even began, and thought he could force it. Mostly it was our offense making bad decisions or their defense making plays, not good schemes.

Leave a comment:

• atl-bronco
    replied
    Originally posted by saphire1 View Post
    i agree. i'm a fan of cutler and i think he'll be very good in this league, and this is part of his growing pains. he cannot always rely on his arm, esp if the defense takes away the deep ball. i remember brady dinked and dunked his way last year to a win vs. jags bec they took away randy moss so he went to welker instead - he took what the defense gave him. and he still got the result he wanted, they won. cutler will learn those things, i have no doubt.
    Goodpoints saphire,

Being so confident & young, I wonder how BMarshall's goal of '140' affects Cutler's decision making and forcing the ball to #15, instead of taking what defenses give him?

It was 1st and 10 near mid-field on the 2nd INT with several receivers (Schef, Graham) wide open. But I know he's a young gun-slinger and will learn. Funny how what you Love about #6 makes you Cringe at times.

:clap: =
    Last edited by atl-bronco; 09-30-2008, 10:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• saphire1
    replied
    Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
    He needs to learn, as Peyton Manning did, that it's great to be aggressive and want to get the ball downfield, but you have to ultimately take what the defense gives you, even if that means throwing a short pass in the flat to a wide-open runningback or fullback.
    i agree. i'm a fan of cutler and i think he'll be very good in this league, and this is part of his growing pains. he cannot always rely on his arm, esp if the defense takes away the deep ball. i remember brady dinked and dunked his way last year to a win vs. jags bec they took away randy moss so he went to welker instead - he took what the defense gave him. and he still got the result he wanted, they won. cutler will learn those things, i have no doubt.

Leave a comment:

• mojo0730
    replied
    Originally posted by Broncos724 View Post
    The fumbles were a spot of bad luck, I don't expect them to happen, much less 2 in one game. The first interception is a tight window that Cutler has thrown into many times already with success, this time the defender made a nice play was able to pick it off. The second interception was just plain bone-headed. So in my eye 3 of our turnovers, or at the minimum the 2 fumbles, will not happen every week, so I think we'll be fine offensively. Defensively I still think we played decent enough to win, but those 4 turnovers really skewed the numbers. Turnovers are possibly the biggest factor in determining a football game, so the focus should be on eliminating them on offense and forcing them on defense.
    If you watched Reggie Rivers' analysis of Cutler's INTs in the game, he made it pretty clear and evident that both INTs were just bad passes that Cutler shouldn't have thrown. The only thing that made that 2nd INT worse was the fact that Scheffler was wide open in the middle (and as Reggie pointed out, was actually the primary receiver on the play), and was clear enough to likely have gotten a touchdown.

I just find it funny how the quarterback position polarizes fans to such a degree. Cutler had a bad couple of games. He needs to learn, as Peyton Manning did, that it's great to be aggressive and want to get the ball downfield, but you have to ultimately take what the defense gives you, even if that means throwing a short pass in the flat to a wide-open runningback or fullback. Why this unnecessary need to defend him and bash those who state the truth is silly, and really the cause of fear of those who are trying to deny the fact that Cutler is still a ways away from a finished product, and could still turn out to be a bust in this league.

Leave a comment:

• Broncos724
    replied
    The fumbles were a spot of bad luck, I don't expect them to happen, much less 2 in one game. The first interception is a tight window that Cutler has thrown into many times already with success, this time the defender made a nice play was able to pick it off. The second interception was just plain bone-headed. So in my eye 3 of our turnovers, or at the minimum the 2 fumbles, will not happen every week, so I think we'll be fine offensively. Defensively I still think we played decent enough to win, but those 4 turnovers really skewed the numbers. Turnovers are possibly the biggest factor in determining a football game, so the focus should be on eliminating them on offense and forcing them on defense.

Leave a comment:

• SlyBronco
    replied
    No, I mean the Steeler's defense stepping up and bailing the enept (for the most part) Steeler offense out for a win.

just the defense...wouldn't want any other offense other than our's at all
    I see. Well I think things will look better on the defensive side moving on. But next year we should start to see these problems fixed.

Leave a comment:

• atl-bronco
    replied
    Originally posted by SlyBronco View Post
    Every now and agian? I'll take our team over the Ravens. They have no offense. Their offense is like our defense.
    No, I mean the Steeler's defense stepping up and bailing the enept (for the most part) Steeler offense out for a win.

just the defense...wouldn't want any other offense other than our's at all

Leave a comment:

• SlyBronco
    replied
    Yeah, I agree. Boss had his best game as a Bronco against the chiefs this past Sunday.
    It seems Elvis is nowhere near full-strength as well.
    Hindsight, DRobertson may be more valuable than I thought.

I'm sitting here watching how terrible the Steeler's offense looked against the Ravens. Must be nice to have a defense to pick up the slack every now and then.
    Every now and agian? I'll take our team over the Ravens. They have no offense. Their offense is like our defense.

Leave a comment:

• Artamentous
    replied
    Originally posted by illmatic View Post
    I haven't seen a playmaker on the Broncos this season. DJ Williams makes tackles, but he doesn't make plays. Champ hasn't really made plays, neither has Dre'. I just don't think they get thrown at enough. Anybody notice how when Broncos go to Nickel Dre and Champ disappear? And the pass rush is suck.
    Champ has caused 2 fumbles this year through 4 games, pretty decent. He has no Ints because he rarely gets thrown at since he is playing zone nearly always.

I think Champ is our biggest play maker, and difference maker on D. I have no idea how people can possibly be down on him.

Leave a comment:

• gorky
    replied
    I kept wanting to see screens during the game. I thought they would have worked too.

I was really hoping for the ball to be put in Hillis's hands. He is a load to bring down.

Leave a comment:

• atl-bronco
    replied
    Originally posted by WoodyInvincible View Post
    definitely liked the article. aside from what it says about cutler it pretty much presents a formula for what our d should be doing too. Our d has been way to vanilla. from the blitz schemes to the coverage I don't see slowik trying to mix anything up aside from deciding to drop 7 or 8 back in coverage.

Our blitz schemes are uninspired and aside from the occasional switch from man to zone coverage i see nothing special. we may not have all the talent in the world on the defensive side of the ball but slowik sure as hell isn't doing anything to improve the defense.

its pretty much drop back and pray that the other teams qb makes a mistake which is a great way to lose games.
    Totally agree Woody,
    There's no aggression (therefor not the scheme in particular) from individual players. Goes back to the basics (tackling, full speed ST coverage) in training camp; The Redskins, Ravens, Eagles, Bucs have hard hitting camps And are in full pads 2-3 weeks earlier than when I see the Broncos during training camp.

they just don't play angry......and it shows.

Leave a comment:

• WoodyInvincible
    replied
    definitely liked the article. aside from what it says about cutler it pretty much presents a formula for what our d should be doing too. Our d has been way to vanilla. from the blitz schemes to the coverage I don't see slowik trying to mix anything up aside from deciding to drop 7 or 8 back in coverage.

Our blitz schemes are uninspired and aside from the occasional switch from man to zone coverage i see nothing special. we may not have all the talent in the world on the defensive side of the ball but slowik sure as hell isn't doing anything to improve the defense.

its pretty much drop back and pray that the other teams qb makes a mistake which is a great way to lose games.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X