It's Just Shanny Being Shanny...Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Just Shanny Being Shanny...Again

OK, guys, I tried, I really tried...but the truth is, even blind homer optimism is just not enough to mask the realities of the Denver Broncos as they have been over the last several years, and as they stand today.

Earlier in the preseason and during camp, I posted that I believed the Broncos were going to be a 9-7, or 10-6 type team, and be in contention for a Wild Card spot.

I was wrong.

This team is headed straight for another losing season at 7-9, and that is only because of referee assistance in the San Diego and New Orleans games,
    both of which had the correct calls been made, the Broncos lose, it's that simple. Good thing three of those seven wins are on the record now, because if you believe in history repeating itself, and I do, the rest of those seven wins are going to be damn hard to come by the rest of this season.

A murderer may get off on a technicality, but it does not change the fact that he is a murderer.

In the NFL, no one, including Shanahan, is going to give back a win they didn't earn on the field, and I don't expect them to. But that does not change the fact that their 3-0 record was a utter and compete mirage, because it was.

As I reflect on my almost thirty-five years of watching Broncos football, and watching every game of the Shanahan era, there are four constants in his football teams that never change, and ultimately become the achillies heel of the franchise.

1.) His teams are more often than not among the bottom third of the NFL in Special Teams.

How appropriate was it Sunday that just when the Broncos were able to score, and draw the team to winthin a touchdown, immediately the Chiefs returned the kickoff out to the 50, and put their offense on prime real estate, leading to another FG, and a 10 pt lead?

The Devin Hester kick returns last year in Chicago....the Monday Night game against Baltimore a few years back where the Broncos were not even aware that the opposing team could return a missed FG, as evidenced by the Broncos players simply walking off the field, and Baltimore returning a 103 return TD to put the lock on a Ravens win.

2.) His Defenses are usually the weak-link of the team. Worse, he can't seem to identify what kind of defense he wants to run. He fired Larry Coyer after the 2006 season. Jim Bates convienently "resigned" after he refused re-assignment to assistant LB coach after last season...and now all signs point to this Broncos defense being the worst ever of the Shanahan-era, and no doubt Bob Slowik will be the fall guy. You would think as long as Shanahan has been around, he would know exactly what type of defenses work well in the NFL, and what has given his offenses trouble in the past, and he would work to re-create that on the Broncos...but he doesn't, and Shanahan always has a fall guy when it does not work out.

3.) The thing that bothers me most of all is that Shanahan's teams are the epitome of "finese" teams. The big boys on the block not only beat his team, they typically destroy his teams. 62-6 in Chargers scores reporesent the worst beatdowns the Broncos have exprerienced at the hands of a Division rival since the early 1960's when they were a freakin' expansion team.

More often than not, you see teams, even bad ones (case in point Sunday vs KC), that do not fear or respect Denver on a physical level, and work to simply beat them up. You saw it Sunday at Arrowhead, you saw it last year against Jacksonville andf San Diego, and you saw it in the AFC Chmapionship game against Pittsburgh a few years back.

As much as Shanahan wants to believe that you can win with gimmicky plays and fancy formations, NFL football is a physical game played by the equivalent of the bullies on the block, and you have to beat them more often than not at their game if you want to win rings.

Simply put, Shanahan's teams, with his historically undersized O-linemen, are typically soft.

4.) Shanahan's teams typically start fast, and fade late. Worse, after the Broncos miss the playoffs this year, and they will, that will mean since John Elway called it a career, Shanahan will have one solitary Division title to his credit, along with three pathetic Wild Card appearances in which his teams were not even competitive, and one loney Playoff win.

Examples?

Started 3-1, finished 8-8. No playoffs.

Started 6-2, finished 9-7. No playoffs.

Started 5-1, finished 10-6. Wild Card beatdown, 41-10, at Indianapolis.

Started 5-1, finished 10-6. Wild Card beatdown, 49-24, at Indianapolis.

Started 7-2, finished 9-7. No playoffs.
    Included a putrid loss on the final Sunday of the season, at home, to San Francisco, who had nothing to play for. A win and the Broncos were in.

They lost.

Started 2-0. Finished 7-9. No playoffs.

Started 3-0...lost to a bad Kansas City team in week 3 that had lost 12 straight, and who the Broncos were nine point favorites over.

Mike Shanahan 'guaranteed' the Broncos would make the Playoffs this season.

Lets just say he has some work to do wioth this bunch.

For me, I am not convinced.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thibngs over and over, and expecting a different result.

If that is so, then I am certafiable, because every year, as camp approaches, I hold out hope that this year will be different. This year, Shanahan will reclaim what was once a Hall of Fame lock career, and relaize what made him so successfull a decade ago.

But it never happens.

If anything, after all of the hype and hope, this team is farther away than ever from a Championship. Mike Shanahan has turned over the offense to a snot-nosed assistant in Jeremy Bates, who has never won or accomplished a thing in the NFL. In doing so, Shanahan has committed the fatal flaw of falling in love with the now rage of the garbage spread offenses. Jay Cutler is lined up in the shotgun in what seems like 60% of his offenseive sets, and the Broncos run the ball now as a gimmick. Draws and delayed handoffs.

When they were winning Super Bowls, they, like the Dallas Cowboys before them, lined up and said 'Stop the run if you can.' They then ran the ball down your throat, and the Broncos could win a Super Bowl with John Elway throwing just 17 passes.

That gave them a physical presence, a toughness that has long since disappeared.

So I disagree with Coach Shanahan. This team won't be making the playoffs.

7-9 is more like it...

Oh well, at least that will give them another Top 15 draft pick, as if that were any consolation.

Are you Bolt-Man??

Comment

excellent post and as i've been saying this is reality a losing season but that is ok the offense is growing and we may have a defense in 2 or 3 years so i expect to compete about 2 years from now

Comment

You are a sad, sad little man...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheJackal View Post
          You are a sad, sad little man...
          No, what is and will be sad are the legions of Bronco fans that believe things have changed.

Don't cry to me when the season falls apart on you.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
            OK, guys, I tried, I really tried...but the truth is, even blind homer optimism is just not enough to mask the realities of the Denver Broncos as they have been over the last several years, and as they stand today.

Earlier in the preseason and during camp, I posted that I believed the Broncos were going to be a 9-7, or 10-6 type team, and be in contention for a Wild Card spot.

I was wrong.

This team is headed straight for another losing season at 7-9, and that is only because of referee assistance in the San Diego and New Orleans games,
            both of which had the correct calls been made, the Broncos lose, it's that simple. Good thing three of those seven wins are on the record now, because if you believe in history repeating itself, and I do, the rest of those seven wins are going to be damn hard to come by the rest of this season.

A murderer may get off on a technicality, but it does not change the fact that he is a murderer.

In the NFL, no one, including Shanahan, is going to give back a win they didn't earn on the field, and I don't expect them to. But that does not change the fact that their 3-0 record was a utter and compete mirage, because it was.

As I reflect on my almost thirty-five years of watching Broncos football, and watching every game of the Shanahan era, there are four constants in his football teams that never change, and ultimately become the achillies heel of the franchise.

1.) His teams are more often than not among the bottom third of the NFL in Special Teams.

How appropriate was it Sunday that just when the Broncos were able to score, and draw the team to winthin a touchdown, immediately the Chiefs returned the kickoff out to the 50, and put their offense on prime real estate, leading to another FG, and a 10 pt lead?

The Devin Hester kick returns last year in Chicago....the Monday Night game against Baltimore a few years back where the Broncos were not even aware that the opposing team could return a missed FG, as evidenced by the Broncos players simply walking off the field, and Baltimore returning a 103 return TD to put the lock on a Ravens win.

2.) His Defenses are usually the weak-link of the team. Worse, he can't seem to identify what kind of defense he wants to run. He fired Larry Coyer after the 2006 season. Jim Bates convienently "resigned" after he refused re-assignment to assistant LB coach after last season...and now all signs point to this Broncos defense being the worst ever of the Shanahan-era, and no doubt Bob Slowik will be the fall guy. You would think as long as Shanahan has been around, he would know exactly what type of defenses work well in the NFL, and what has given his offenses trouble in the past, and he would work to re-create that on the Broncos...but he doesn't, and Shanahan always has a fall guy when it does not work out.

3.) The thing that bothers me most of all is that Shanahan's teams are the epitome of "finese" teams. The big boys on the block not only beat his team, they typically destroy his teams. 62-6 in Chargers scores reporesent the worst beatdowns the Broncos have exprerienced at the hands of a Division rival since the early 1960's when they were a freakin' expansion team.

More often than not, you see teams, even bad ones (case in point Sunday vs KC), that do not fear or respect Denver on a physical level, and work to simply beat them up. You saw it Sunday at Arrowhead, you saw it last year against Jacksonville andf San Diego, and you saw it in the AFC Chmapionship game against Pittsburgh a few years back.

As much as Shanahan wants to believe that you can win with gimmicky plays and fancy formations, NFL football is a physical game played by the equivalent of the bullies on the block, and you have to beat them more often than not at their game if you want to win rings.

Simply put, Shanahan's teams, with his historically undersized O-linemen, are typically soft.

4.) Shanahan's teams typically start fast, and fade late. Worse, after the Broncos miss the playoffs this year, and they will, that will mean since John Elway called it a career, Shanahan will have one solitary Division title to his credit, along with three pathetic Wild Card appearances in which his teams were not even competitive, and one loney Playoff win.

Examples?

Started 3-1, finished 8-8. No playoffs.

Started 6-2, finished 9-7. No playoffs.

Started 5-1, finished 10-6. Wild Card beatdown, 41-10, at Indianapolis.

Started 5-1, finished 10-6. Wild Card beatdown, 49-24, at Indianapolis.

Started 7-2, finished 9-7. No playoffs.
            Included a putrid loss on the final Sunday of the season, at home, to San Francisco, who had nothing to play for. A win and the Broncos were in.

They lost.

Started 2-0. Finished 7-9. No playoffs.

Started 3-0...lost to a bad Kansas City team in week 3 that had lost 12 straight, and who the Broncos were nine point favorites over.

Mike Shanahan 'guaranteed' the Broncos would make the Playoffs this season.

Lets just say he has some work to do wioth this bunch.

For me, I am not convinced.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thibngs over and over, and expecting a different result.

If that is so, then I am certafiable, because every year, as camp approaches, I hold out hope that this year will be different. This year, Shanahan will reclaim what was once a Hall of Fame lock career, and relaize what made him so successfull a decade ago.

But it never happens.

If anything, after all of the hype and hope, this team is farther away than ever from a Championship. Mike Shanahan has turned over the offense to a snot-nosed assistant in Jeremy Bates, who has never won or accomplished a thing in the NFL. In doing so, Shanahan has committed the fatal flaw of falling in love with the now rage of the garbage spread offenses. Jay Cutler is lined up in the shotgun in what seems like 60% of his offenseive sets, and the Broncos run the ball now as a gimmick. Draws and delayed handoffs.

When they were winning Super Bowls, they, like the Dallas Cowboys before them, lined up and said 'Stop the run if you can.' They then ran the ball down your throat, and the Broncos could win a Super Bowl with John Elway throwing just 17 passes.

That gave them a physical presence, a toughness that has long since disappeared.

So I disagree with Coach Shanahan. This team won't be making the playoffs.

7-9 is more like it...

Oh well, at least that will give them another Top 15 draft pick, as if that were any consolation.

Let the players play and coaches coach. Fans are fans. Shanahan has made the broncos competitive over the last 10 years yet quietly rebuilding and adding pieces. He won with Gus frerote and brian griese who have become career backups since leaving denver. He won with Plummer, who retired after he left denver. The problem is that other teams got better. When Denver was dominant who was a real threat to them? There was no Indianapolis, New England or Pittsburgh. The salary cap era had not begun yet. Denver did not have a lot of competition. They beat the jets and a kordell stewart led steelers to get to the superbowl.

What Shanahan has done with this offense in 2 years is remarkable. With Plummer in 2006 this team was averaging 15 points a game. He has the Qb, and some good weapons. The OLine will get better in the run game and we need a quality running back. The defense needs better personnel, it may take 1 to 2 years. What we have now is a young team that is finding its identity with a QB that will be great plus a plethora of draft picks to play with.This team can still win 10 to 11 games. Which is what most people expected. Denver was a perennial loser before shanahan arrived. What denver has is a QB. And when you have a good QB, you always have a chance. Mark my words, all these great defenses like Tennessee, Buffalo, running the ball so forth, these teams won't do squat in the playoffs. You think these guys can win with Kerry Collins and Trent Edwards? You need a QB. We'll get better.
            Last edited by Sharpe26; 09-29-2008, 08:20 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Sadly I agree with you mind, as much as I want to argue against you, Its just hard.

1, we do not have a True RB. Torain, Pittman, Hall, Young or whatever garbage RB's we have are not the solution. People on these boards want Torain to be that solution, but he's just not that kind of RB, he's a major durability issue, and was not that productive as a Sun Devil, he was an unheard name for a while then when he put up a few games with good numbers then got injured things changed but still he's just fodder, it shows even more prevelant as we are now ditching the Run First mentality that the Broncos have done because our run game just sucks that much, and i believe even Torain cant save it. We need a Dynamic RB that can run sideline to slideline, up the gut, catch in the backfield and line up like a WR. That will allow us to cut the fat at that position to free up money to put in the D-line

2. I said it once and i said it again, the Coaching for Special Teams Flat OUT SUCKS, fire the coaches and get no-names from college programs because I think even a college special teams coach would be an improvement over the Special team coaches we have now.

3. the D-line needs help, something is fishy and its showing that the coaching is also a major problem not just talent. OUR LB core is good but needs to be better. Slowik needs to make up his mind and stick with one scheme. Honestly if he cant then we need to find a DC that can utilize our CB's to their full potental, its just money being wasted at the CB position.

My draft wishlist
              SPecial teams Coach, New Def Coord,
              Safety, DE, DT, MLB. then trade our lower rounds to get back up to the 2nd round and draft an RB.
              McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

It was a very well written post and the facts are there, but I think this teams offense really does have the potential to be special. They've got immense talent and if we stay lucky, and teams have before, we could make a run.

On the other hand our defense might be so bad that we won't be able to make a run, who knows. I really hope it finds someway to come together and at least get into the top 20.

If only we had s hint of a pass rush!

Comment

*Sigh*

Bandwagon fans are funny.

This happens every time after our first loss.
                  Very happy to have Tebow in orange and blue!!!

Team Tebow #16

Comment

Originally posted by DenverSpark View Post
                    *Sigh*

Bandwagon fans are funny.

This happens every time after our first loss.
                    I agree and I don't know why? I mean really we are 3- and 1 this guy thinks we are only going to win 4 out of 12 more games? I try not to come around too much after a loss, same old BS. I figured that it being late on monday night and us being 3-1 it would blow over by now but I guess I will see you guys on wensday.
                    Hillis will be the best full back in the league by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You do make some valid points, and it's hard to argue with most of it.

Here's to hoping we buck the trend this year.

Perhaps the trend of starting strong and fizzling out the second half of the season is the reason the media turn on us like rabid dogs the second we lose a game.....

And damm, you sure can post! That has to be the longest post i have ever seen. But thanks for being so detailed.....

Comment

Originally posted by broncos0707 View Post
                        I agree and I don't know why? I mean really we are 3- and 1 this guy thinks we are only going to win 4 out of 12 more games? I try not to come around too much after a loss, same old BS. I figured that it being late on monday night and us being 3-1 it would blow over by now but I guess I will see you guys on wensday.
                        You shouldn't really worry about this guy, he's made a reputation off posting negative things about the Broncos at every chance he gets. He even went as far last year after a loss [which loss it was escapes me at the moment] to say that he was giving up his fanhood and would no longer be a fan of the Broncos only to reappear like a week later.

Don't take him too seriously.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos0707 View Post
                          Really?

How did you feel last year when we finished 7-9?

What has changed for the better??

Comment

No, what is and will be sad are the legions of Bronco fans that believe things have changed.

Don't cry to me when the season falls apart on you.

Dude ....chill!!! These are OUR Broncos you are talking about! I'm sure your job is peaches and cream right!?!? Just because you miss a house while delivering your newspapers.....doesn't mean your season is over....right!?!?!
                            sigpic
                            Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS (SuperSport w/Rally Sport package).

Comment

Really?

How did you feel last year when we finished 7-9?

What has changed for the better??
                              our offense! for the most part our offense has been kickin Arse and taking names! we beat ourselves with alot of turnovers and poor play calling (for once the fourth game of the year) but we have a great young O-line one of the best and up and coming Wr's and Qb that is lighting it up. jeez man people need to stop with all this doom and gloom, pick up the book the power of positive thinking and give it a shot

Broncos 4 Life

Comment

Working...
                              X