Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woodyard should be on the field, period!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't know Boss like that...lol

Originally posted by DoJo Chargerfan View Post
    so who would play the outside LB/rush position? I agree that DJ could play the ILB but Boss would have a hard time shedding blocks. He was a horrible tampa 2 MLB and something tells me he would be horrible especially since OL would have a strait shot at him. Maybe Crowder or Moss would play OLB's but they'll be a liability in coverage. The Bronco's just aren't built for the 34 and would be ran on all day if they tried.
    It wasn't that Boss was terrible or that he could not play the MLB position. Detriot was experiencing with it for the first time and was trying to be like Tampa Bay after getting killed by the same type of defense year in and year out. The corners, safties, and D-coaches were terrible more than Boss couldn't play the postion. He is more than capable of shedding blockers so what game have you been watching? He gets off blocks better than DJ but I'm not saying he's a better LB than DJ. He'd be a perfect MLB for our defense. If DJ (who has a great attitude and should be be willing to do whatever it takes after getting the money he rightfully deserves) would be willing to move back to the strong side where he can still showcase his great talent, and start Woodyard at the weak side because his size and inexperience could be covered up although I think he's to fine also. Larsen is nopt ready or he wouldn't be at FB instead of LB.

Comment

Originally posted by FireShanahan View Post
      If DJ (who has a great attitude and should be be willing to do whatever it takes after getting the money he rightfully deserves) would be willing to move back to the strong side where he can still showcase his great talent, and start Woodyard at the weak side because his size and inexperience could be covered up although I think he's to fine also. Larsen is nopt ready or he wouldn't be at FB instead of LB.
      DJ won't move back to SAM. He's stated that he hates playing there and he wants to be either at the weak position or MLB. I think if there were any question of him moving back to SAM, he wouldn't have signed that contract extension.
      sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

after the season i hope to see DJ to move back to Mike where he actually belongs, and be backed up by Webster, Woodyard to play WLB backed by Winborn, and Boss bailey to be playing SLB(even though i dont like this) backed by Aaron Curry our second rd draft choice

woodyard isnt ready for the starting role yet, he is doing a good job for this team so far though. i have wanted him on the field for denver since his senior year at kentucky far before the draft occured. we got a steal with him, and if we are smart we will start him at WLB next year and move DJ to Mike. in the simple scheme we run I think DJ could be a Pro Bowl MLB.

Contary to popular opinion Larsen will not be a Starting MLB on this team, an niko probally wont have much time here either.

Comment

I like Larsen's intensity, but I think he was brought in to be an STs guy. He's not quite quick enough - he plays faster than his 40 but he's not in the same league as DJ/Boss.

I think we should keep DJ at WLB - after all, we're getting a lot of production out of him. I wouldn't be adverse to moving him back to the middle, but he's playing well where he is right now.

On another thread, there was toying with the idea that Woodyard could be moved to MLB. That would be an interesting move - ideally he'd gain about 5 pounds for it which wouldn't be too difficult. I don't really know what his football IQ's like which obviously would be quite a major factor in whether he'd be successful there. And it's pretty much all speculation - after all, we have no idea how well he can read the plays at this level or how well he could control the gaps - only the staff know. But Shanny kind of hinted at it and considering that the OLB spots are locked up (with backups), MLB seems to be a logical deduction although that could just be reading too much into it. I'm not sure we'd put him at safety. He's fast, no doubt, but considering we got him to bulk up by 10 pounds over the offseason, it suggests that we'll keep him at LB.
          sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

I disagree whole heartily. I feel Woodyard is ahead of the curve & one of those guys that get it now. I have a strong feeling about him! Let him play & watch him make plays!
            sigpic
            "Made by White Dragon - 8/26/10"
            Great Job & thanks, WD!

"He had a better career than [Hall of Famer Gale] Sayers did, but he is not held in the same regard. Is that fair to Davis?"--Dan Patrick, ESPN

“A great shot is when you pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it.” --Phil Mickelson, 2010 Masters champion

Comment

Why not shake things up a bit? I wouldn't mind seeing a "youth movement" on defense similar to the one we saw on offense in '06. I think that giving some young guys a shot can provide a little spark and perhaps emerge as solid starters (see Marshall and Cutler in '06).
              sigpic

Comment

Jack Williams also shined in preseason, its different now though.

Woodyard still has to learn
                dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
                  Jack Williams also shined in preseason, its different now though.

Woodyard still has to learn
                  Even more than that what people seem to have a hard time understanding is that our outside linebackers don't need to be tinkered with. The group of linebackers that we have are the deepest and most talented group we have on defense right now, and messing with the unit that is not broken is NONSENSE!!!!!!

WE need help on the line.

On another note, we don't need a middle linebacker with great speed as someone mentioned as a flaw with Larsen. The middle linebacker needs to be physical and keep his gaps. If the tackles and ends are being physical and disruptive we would see the linebackers (especially Boss and DJ) making plays all over the field.

If we start shifting linebackers to different positions right now, we would surely miss the playoffs.
                  sigpic
                  Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                    what have you seen of Woodyard at safety that makes you reasonably believe that he is an upgrade at the position, o wait nothing you are making unreasonable assumptions that woodyard would make a good safety because of what you saw of him at LB in preseason against 3rd stringers and people without jobs

that is hardly anything to make a reasonable person think he is an upgrade over someone who the coaches believe is the best option on the team

as for webster where is the better option on the team . . . again if you think larsen you are fooling yourself or can see into the future because obviously the coaches see the players every day and what they bring to the table, and as much as i hate Webster there is no reason to believe that somebody on the team is an upgrade
                    As to Webster:
                    Neither of us like his play and I thought Green looked better blitzing and playing the run and pass then Webster. Unfortunately he has been injured this season. Now that Niko has had a chance to learn the defense I wouldn't mind giving his solid play and fundamentals a shot over Websters aimless determination and inadequate abilities. The sooner we move past Webster the better.

As to Woodyard:
                    6'1" 230 is a little large for a SS, but just what we need to improve our run-defense and pocket pressure. He started his collegiate career as a SS before switching to LB where his line presence would be of more use but still tallied 2 int's and 12 pass Brk-ups. His 4.4 speed and cover abilities(which he showed in pre-season) is better then Manuel's, but not Lowry's. I think he would excel as a SS where he would be free to pursue the run and drop into coverage as well as give a much needed spark to our D. His 6.5sacks and familiarity with playing up should make him an excellent blitzer and along his sure tackling he should play the line much better then Manuel.
                    Woodyard > Manuel in coverage
                    Woodyard > Manuel against the run
                    Woodyard > Manuel blitzing
                    Woodyard > Manuel tackling
                    Not only has he played S before, but as a academic all-conference in college and special teams captain after just three weeks in the NFL, he shouldn't have a problem learning any assignment.

Play Woodyard at SS and replace him with Lowry in pass situations.
                    Fire Manuel. He's worthless and Fox is a solid back-up and better SP-T'er and pick up a FS.

Comment

Originally posted by 203KillinSpree View Post
                      I think he would bring a huge spark to this defense. The bottom line with this guy is he makes plays! His motor is non stop and he plays with a fire & love for the game. Being we have been using a 3-4, let him play! I think he can bring that intensity this defense is missing. DJ, Woodyard, Larsen, Boss. Let's play ball boys!
                      I like the guy too, untill last week i woulda said start him instead of Bailey, but man, Boss impressed me with the screen busting plays, the screens killed us in the chargers game and saints, but he was shutting that stuff down against KC, now if they can just work on getting some pressure on the QB we might be on our way to being an NFL defense
                      "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X