Receiver Depth. Dev Post-Sept 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiver Depth. Dev Post-Sept 30

"With receiver Clifford Russell sidelined a few weeks because of a severely sprained neck and veteran Darrell Jackson out the past three weeks with a calf injury, the Broncos are likely to re-sign Glenn Martinez, who had 14 catches with the team last season. The Broncos would have to make a roster move to clear room for Martinez...."

Glad Martinez is coming back, I was amazed we cut him earlier. We also need him as a kick returner with Russell and Hall both down for a few weeks. As far as making room...

Who do we let go to make room for Martinez?

The only guys I can think of are:
    -Cutting Russell while he's hurt- cold, but he was pretty worthless when healthy
    -Cutting Green- Has been hurt, but I think he should be our MLB instead of Webster
    -Cutting Pears- 4OTs? Harris and Clady have solidified their spots and Polumbus(LT) and Kuper(RT) are good back-ups. If someone has to go I think Pears is the odd man out.

Martinez is a fumble happening pass dropping machine, and you can take that to the bank. We will drop him for the first decent guy to get back to health
    sigpic
    2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

I was always very harsh on martinez last year. But looking back he didnt do THAT bad given the situation. In the preseason he caught everything thrown to him and was one of the smarter players of our backups. I was surprised when we cut him. He looked far better than Russel in the preseason.

Comment

Originally posted by JayButNotCutler View Post
        Martinez is a fumble happening pass dropping machine, and you can take that to the bank. We will drop him for the first decent guy to get back to health
        He has dropped a few punts, but usually recovered them. This year he would be a 4th WR and kick returner. He is a better returner, has better speed, hands and field awareness then Russell. He also knows the Broncos system much better then Russell and is all-around a better football player.

We will probably cut Pears, but cutting Russell for Martinez would make us a better team.

Comment

I say we just have Eddie return the kicks, look what he does on the PR with almost no protection/blocking, that kid should do it all!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JayButNotCutler View Post
            I say we just have Eddie return the kicks, look what he does on the PR with almost no protection/blocking, that kid should do it all!
            Good way to get your starter hurt. Kick-offs bring volatile collisions on both sides and usually don't involve starters because of injury concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by sage View Post
              Good way to get your starter hurt. Kick-offs bring volatile collisions on both sides and usually don't involve starters because of injury concerns.
              And umm, when has that ever stoped Shanny from allowing this? Peyton Hillis is a returner are you saying we should take him out so he doesn't get injured. Put the best man in, that's all I'm saying
              sigpic

Comment

I don't have time to explain football to you, so back to the question at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by sage View Post
                  I don't have time to explain football to you, so back to the question at hand.

Am I allowed to say Paymah?

Honestly I have no idea who we would cut, cutting Russel seems pretty low and not something denver would do.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbroncs View Post
                    Honestly I have no idea who we would cut, cutting Russel seems pretty low and not something denver would do.
                    I'd have no problem cutting Paymah or Manuel, but we would need to replace them as eight DBs is probably the minimum we could keep on the roster. I also don't think we could cut a DLman, QB, Kicker or RB. Thats why I mentioned OL, LB or replacing Russell, even though cutting a guy because he's hurt is pretty low but probably better for both us and him as he simply can't play at the NFL level.

Comment

Question Answered

Russell was just IR'd and Martinez signed to his spot-DenverBroncos.com

Comment

Working...
                      X