Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We run the most spread like offense in the NFL... but is it a good thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We run the most spread like offense in the NFL... but is it a good thing?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/wal...gh-spread-dead

Here is the most noteworthy stuff (I don't wanna overpost so I'll share the main stuff on us)

On the Spread to NFL idea:

At the pro level, the recent fascination with spread principles may also be subsiding. The Patriots set passing records last year, but they are learning that what works for Tom Brady may not work for Matt Cassel. The Packers are in a similar situation: Aaron Rodgers ran their multiple offense successfully early in the year, but his injury may force rookie Matt Flynn into a system that asks an awful lot of a young quarterback. The Broncos currently run the most spread-like offense in the NFL, and they have had a lot of success. But last week, shotgun handoffs to Selvyn Young were getting stuffed at the line, quick screens to the receivers had little success, and a too-cute pitch play to Brandon Marshall resulted in a turnover. All three teams are getting diminishing

Picking the week's games:

Team: Broncos
    Spread Options: The Broncos have strayed far from their zone blocking roots in the last two years, embracing an offense as full of tunnel screens and spreadish trickery as any in the NFL. The change has brought a mix of big plays and big mistakes. Last week's loss to the Chiefs will force them to take a step back from the chasm's edge. There's no need to use Brandon Marshall as a tailback, and it's sometimes better to keep it simple against weak opponents. Mike Shanahan may cut down on the cuteness against a disciplined Bucs defense that loves to bait quarterbacks into mistakes.
    Pick: This is the toughest game of the week to decide. The Bucs don't have the offensive speed to capitalize on Broncos defensive errors, and I expect the Broncos to protect the ball after Sunday's ice water wake-up. On the flip side, the Bucs defense is playing well, Joey Galloway could be back, and for all their talent and big-play potential, the Broncos could easily be 1-3 right now. Take the Broncos, but that's not the world's safest investment right now. Which is saying something.

Very good article I thought
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

I hate it, because it is a gimmick Offense.

But some of the Madden Nation around here think it is the bomb-diggity.

To me, it is just a modern version of the 'Run and Shoot' that was all the rage for a minute or two in the 80's...or as Buddy Ryan called it, the 'Chuck and Duck'.

Balance is the key.

It's great to be able to throw it, but when the weather gets cold, and the wind starts whipping in January, you have to run the ball, and be able to control the game and the clock, unless you play in a Dome, which the Broncos don't.

I have no idea why Shanahan has signed on to this trickeration Offense.

Sooner or later, you have to man up and win games on a physical level.

One dimensional passing teams, such as the 80's Chargers and Dolphins, and the Colts early this decade were notoriously soft, and the Broncos fit that description right now.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
      I hate it, because it is a gimmick Offense.

But some of the Madden Nation around here think it is the bomb-diggity.

To me, it is just a modern version of the 'Run and Shoot' that was all the rage for a minute or two in the 80's...or as Buddy Ryan called it, the 'Chuck and Duck'.

Balance is the key.

It's great to be able to throw it, but when the weather gets cold, and the wind starts whipping in January, you have to run the ball, and be able to control the game and the clock, unless you play in a Dome, which the Broncos don't.

Sooner or later, you have to man up and win games on a physical level.

One dimensional passing teams, such as the 80's Chargers and Dolphins, and the Colts early this decade were notoriously soft, and the Broncos fit that description right now.
      maybe shanny is waiting for torain to return and till he returns he will use the spread because for the most part its working....im not saying a rookie is our savior cause thats what half of you would think thats what i meant ..but he is the perfect specimen for this system ..combination of power and speed so whats not to be excited about his return

Comment

The offense right now is inconsistent. I would not mind, if we were moving the ball through all four quarters like we do in the first. But, we arent. And thats where the balance would be great, because it would mean we are at leats eating some clock.

I read the article, and it stated that LBs are keying more on the run than they had been against the single back shotgun. Weve got some great TEs, maybe some more play action stuff over the middle?
        sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
        SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

OK, I have to say it: BECAUSE IT'S WORKING!!!!!!! Ryan Torain will be back with a fresh pair of legs for the winter month, so don't worry until we see him play. Right now a lot of good things have been said about him.
          sigpic
          Made by Houshmazode

Comment

Dont forget we were supposed to have a big,strong power back in Henry this year.I dont think anyone expected having to cut him this summer.I think we are doing the best with the players we have.Its a shame Travis has such mental problems cause if he stayed healthy he could of helped this team dominate on the ground to compliment the air attack.I doubt we stay with these small backs for more than this year.We will also see how the much hyped Torrain pans out.

Comment

Luv it.

Reminds me of the Patriots, and putting the ball in the hands of a great player in the QB.

Only thing better than running a spread offense is running more spread offense.

Comment

ummmmmm.

if it works? why stop using it? if it ain't broke dont fix it.

Our spread worked with easy against all of our competition, its like when the colts brought out 3 receivers and basically showed everyone what they were gonna run, then they ran it to prefection.

We domitate the Raiders without Marshall, We score like nothing against the chargers, (even use it to win the game) , we put up a large amount of points against the saints when we used it, then we totally changed our offense against the chiefs, did NOTHING on offense until the 4th quarter when we went back to the spread.

WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU?!

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                  Luv it.

Reminds me of the Patriots, and putting the ball in the hands of a great player in the QB.

Only thing better than running a spread offense is running more spread offense.
                  Yeah, and how well did that offense work out for Mr. Brady and the Patriots in the last Super Bowl?

They all laughed when Plaxico Burress had the Giants winning, and the Pats just scoring 17 pts...Brady himself was indignant...

"Wow, he just has us scoring 17 points?"...followed by a conceted chuckle...and don't forget, the Patriots played that game indoors in PERFECT weather conditions.

Comment

Yeah, and how well did that offense work out for Mr. Brady and the Patriots in the last Super Bowl?

They all laughed when Plaxico Burress had the Giants winning, and the Pats just scoring 17 pts...Brady himself was indignant...

"Wow, he just has us scoring 17 points?"...followed by a conceted chuckle...and don't forget, the Patriots played that game indoors in PERFECT weather conditions.
                    Lets not forget how freaking good the Giants defense was and STILL is with out strahan and umenwhatever.

Don't take all the credit from the patriots like you would the Broncos on a sunday the broncos lose.

The Giants have a stellar D and a great offense to boot.

Comment

We are finally putting points up on the boards.... So yes, of course I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigplayshay84 View Post
                        ummmmmm.

if it works? why stop using it? if it ain't broke dont fix it.

Our spread worked with easy against all of our competition, its like when the colts brought out 3 receivers and basically showed everyone what they were gonna run, then they ran it to prefection.

We domitate the Raiders without Marshall, We score like nothing against the chargers, (even use it to win the game) , we put up a large amount of points against the saints when we used it, then we totally changed our offense against the chiefs, did NOTHING on offense until the 4th quarter when we went back to the spread.

WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU?!
                        Ummmmm...I think it damn well broke last Sunday, and I don't think the Chiefs defense was the second coming of the 2001 Ravens.

In fact, the Broncos seemed to have many of their problems from last year re-emerge, such as failed red Zone scoring...only one TD last week, with four FG's.

The next few weeks will tell the tale, because they are going to go up against some very good NFL defenses in Tampa, Jacksonville and New England.

They say it takes about a month worth of games for tape to get out and for D-Coordinators to begin to gameplan, and Shanny's teams always start fast anyway...problem is they tend to fade just as quick.

Bottom line: This Broncos offense is not going to be nearly as successful as it has been unless they start running the ball more.

Tampa's Monte Kiffin, Jacksonville's Gregg Williams and New England's Bill Belichick are some of the best defensive minds in the game, so it will be veeeeryy interesting to see how the Broncos fare over the next three weeks.

Very interesting indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigplayshay84 View Post
                          Lets not forget how freaking good the Giants defense was and STILL is with out strahan and umenwhatever.

Don't take all the credit from the patriots like you would the Broncos on a sunday the broncos lose.

The Giants have a stellar D and a great offense to boot.
                          They were a Wild Card team that was not even the best team in their Division and were something like a 12 point under-dog to the Patriots...

The Patriots also had to pull games out of their butts in December against bad teams the likes of a 4-12 Baltimore team, and a losing Eagles team QB'd by AJ Feeley...I felt then about the Patriots the same way I do now about the Broncos...yes, the Patriots won those games, but I knew it would catch up with them, and that they were vulnerable in the playoffs.

Just like the Broncos are lucky now not to have a losing record...but they are not what everyone thinks they are, and it will catch up to them too....and alot of it will be due to this college/high school Offense they play.

Comment

If you have the talent...

then do it...and we pretty much do.

Our O has played great 3 of 4 games. A large reason we lost last week was turnovers and poor choices, aka, 2 Cutler interceptions. Chalk that up to a bit of pressing by a young gunslinger. It has nothing to do w/ the O philosiphy.

Example: Culter INT pass to BM. Tony was WIDE open for an aprent TD. Cutler pressed a bit. It happens. Maybe the game changes if we score a TD. Who knows and who cares at this point. Again, it has nothing to do w/ the O philosiphy though. The play was not exicuted correctly. utler had the time and made a poor read.

Example: Fumbles...again..nothing to do...you get the point. It's football 101. Hang on to the pigskin. Kids get that screamed at them in pee wee leagues.

Ok, we have a bit of a RB issue, but do we really? Ok we do, but a bit. We could be worse off, way worse off. We have a sustainable run game that fits our O.

The problem is the D. I guess it's the scheme, a least that's my view. This sit back and wait don't break, react instead of acting on plays is killing us, along with a semi good non existant pass rush.

If in wek 9 we are avg 3 turnovers a game and scoring 20 pts a game w/ out O then we have a problem. For now, the O philisophy is perfect for these awesome young atheletes at key positions.

Comment

I like the O, but the gimmick stuff is junk. Remember 3rd and short where we threw sideways to scheffler? That crap never works. You've got a better chance running or actually throwing to where it will be a first down rather than throw, catch, then run for a first. It's actually too complicated for a short yardage.

The reverse only works for us like 1 in 10 times. We just need to go straight at them. We have weapons and don't need to be cute!
                              John and TD should get their own wing in Canton.

Comment

Working...
                              X