Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We run the most spread like offense in the NFL... but is it a good thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MindField View Post
    Yeah, and how well did that offense work out for Mr. Brady and the Patriots in the last Super Bowl?

They all laughed when Plaxico Burress had the Giants winning, and the Pats just scoring 17 pts...Brady himself was indignant...

"Wow, he just has us scoring 17 points?"...followed by a conceted chuckle...and don't forget, the Patriots played that game indoors in PERFECT weather conditions.
    What happened when the Patriots won 2 of their 3 SuperBowls using more spread than any other team in the NFL?

Oh

Comment

You do what works, that's common sense. Why stop using the spread and running it more just to be more "balanced" if that results in scoring less and therefore losing more games? :brick:

Comment

I like spreading the ball around using pass plays but I dont like the made for Selvin Young type College run plays at all....

That Marshall fumble sent me throw the roof.
        :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
          What happened when the Patriots won 2 of their 3 SuperBowls using more spread than any other team in the NFL?

Oh
          I heard that Patriots was also good at using a camera .... and two of them games still came down to a kickers foot

:edit: I would take the '97-98 SB Broncos offense way before I would take the 18-0 Patriots offense....
          Last edited by LarryDean; 10-02-2008, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
            I heard that Patriots was also good at using a camera .... and two of them games still came down to a kickers foot
            I think Shanahan wanted them to go out in style after he showed Belichek how to use the camera and get away with it.

Comment

They were a Wild Card team that was not even the best team in their Division and were something like a 12 point under-dog to the Patriots...

The Patriots also had to pull games out of their butts in December against bad teams the likes of a 4-12 Baltimore team, and a losing Eagles team QB'd by AJ Feeley...I felt then about the Patriots the same way I do now about the Broncos...yes, the Patriots won those games, but I knew it would catch up with them, and that they were vulnerable in the playoffs.

Just like the Broncos are lucky now not to have a losing record...but they are not what everyone thinks they are, and it will catch up to them too....and alot of it will be due to this college/high school Offense they play.
              FACT: The patriots were very conservative in the SB. FACT: They all but had that game won until Tyree makes an unbelievable catch. You cannot knock the only team to ever go 18-0 in the regular season.

FACT: Against the chiefs we reverted to our old offensive style, and I thought we FORCED THE RUN, that definitely was NOT there. Not with Andre Hall, selvin had a few gains of more than 5, but besides that the run just wasn't there.

We were trying to put a square into a circular hole.

This thread is an interesting argument, but it's still a square in the circular hole of reality.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                I think Shanahan wanted them to go out in style after he showed Belichek how to use the camera and get away with it.
                I love the way the Broncos are throwing the ball this year....Although people will compare it to the Patriots the style of offense it is still completely different only thing that is similar is the passing attempts imo...The Broncos still have a young line with 4 new starters and a unclear RB sitution...If the Broncos running game was playing to its normal level and expectations it would be leaps and bounds better then the Patriots running attack of last year...
                Last edited by LarryDean; 10-02-2008, 08:38 PM.

Comment

They were a Wild Card team that was not even the best team in their Division and were something like a 12 point under-dog to the Patriots...

The Patriots also had to pull games out of their butts in December against bad teams the likes of a 4-12 Baltimore team, and a losing Eagles team QB'd by AJ Feeley...I felt then about the Patriots the same way I do now about the Broncos...yes, the Patriots won those games, but I knew it would catch up with them, and that they were vulnerable in the playoffs.

Just like the Broncos are lucky now not to have a losing record...but they are not what everyone thinks they are, and it will catch up to them too....and alot of it will be due to this college/high school Offense they play.
                  This is an offensive side of the ball thread. If we bring the Defense into play you would be right, we shouldn't be 3-1. But if we had a halfway decent defense we would be 4-0!

WE don't. so. we aren't. What will catch up to us is our crappy defense that lets the worst scoring team in the league put up 33 points!!!!!!!!

yeah good luck to any offensive powerhouse when their D can't stop my freshman football team from 02.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
                    I love the way the Broncos are throwing the ball this year....Although people will compare it to the Patriots the style of offense it is still completely different only thing that is similar is the passing attempts imo...The Broncos still have a young line with 4 new starters and a unclear RB sitution...If the Broncos running game was playing to its normal level and expectations it would be leaps and bounds better then the Patriots running attack of last year...
                    I completely agree. the patriots liked to dink and dunk, then go deep. we like to consistantly go 20 yards down field, making any 3rd down makable, we also like to send everyone deep but we rarely go there,we go to graham or stoke underneath. that turns into a 20 yarder.... because we are saving that(going deep) for later in the season

Comment

The only thing that I think will hurt this offense is not the fact the Broncos are not running the ball as well as we know they are capable of ...What I see as a problem that could arise is the pass protection not being as good as what it seems...I have no real worries about the offense besides that...Even with that I know the Broncos will be able to move the ball by land or air all year long...

The reason why I think the Broncos are throwing the ball much more this year is because of Cutler/Marshall and the Oline is better atm at pass blocking....If I was coaching I would let Jay throw it more as well..
                      Last edited by LarryDean; 10-02-2008, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Okay, I'll play armchair OC...

If we're talking about 3 and 4 WR formations and operating out of the gun most of the time, then yes, that's a legitimate NFL offense. The college "spread" involves a lot of running and getting hit on the part of the QB. Not a good offense for an NFL team.

Our version of the "spread" would be something like what the Eagles have run for years in Andy Reid's version of the WCO, except with better receivers. The downside of course being the same as in college: the more you put the ball in the hands of the QB, the more hits he will take, and ultimately, the more injuries you'll need to overcome at that position.

In the College "spread" offenses like Auburn runs, QBs are constantly getting injured. Same happens in the NFL equivalent. If you don't have a good back-up, don't run the "spread" or anything that forces your QB to throw 40+ times a game.
                        "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

The problem really is the third quarter. Jay's completion percentage is under 50%, his rating is under 55, and his yards per attempt is much lower than it is during the first half. Perhaps it is a problem with his insulin levels, because the 4th quarter he goes bac to being golden.

Why we arent running more, is a mystery. 23 carries by the three backs, for 108 yards, and a TD in the third. Not great, but, certainly not horrible. Take some pressure off Jay, and eat some clock to help the defense.
                          sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
                          SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Patriots Comparisons

Oh how I wish people would stop using the Patriots as an example of anything. That team was NOT phenomenal because they played out of the gun and spread the field. They don't tell us anything about "how the NFL has changed" or how many times you have to pass the ball to win.

And they didn't lose the SB because they needed to run more. They went 18-0 because they were the best at executing within THEIR system, and got the players to execute it perfectly. And they remained incredibly consistent throughout the season. They lost the SB because, while consistent, the Giants got hot at the right moment and were at the absolute top of their game.

And as hot as the Giants were, they were only dead even with the Patriots who had been playing at that level and above almost the entire season.
                            "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X