SI.com + some notes on Cutler vs. Griese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI.com + some notes on Cutler vs. Griese

"In the second quarter, facing second-and-eight from the Chiefs' 16, Cutler hit Brandon Marshall for a touchdown that floated just over the outstretched arms of two Kansas City defenders. Cutler saw the two DBs, neither of whom was more than two yards off Marshall, and he still made the throw, knowing that anything other than a perfectly placed ball would likely result in a pick. That's the type of confidence (cockiness?) Cutler has."

I read that and was wondering because I never actualy saw the TD, I only saw the 2nd half, was it a pretty amazing throw? Also is it good to take the good and bad throws together? Obviously if you tell cutler (well shanahan) to stop throwing risky throws for ints, that the amazing throws would go down too I for one like the risks.

Here's the full article. It's also rated game of the week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....html#?eref=T1

It was an amazing throw... and your right... a couple inches here or there, and we're calling for Cutlers head.

But it's not just Denver, I watched NFL highlights all weekend from different teams. McNabb threw one to DeSean Jackson that was nearly intercepted. Again, he throws that interception in the red zone, and the the game swings the other way, who knows what happens but, the media would definitely be calling him out.

I think you're right, I think I would rather have the attempts and sometimes get the INT's, than to have a dull offense that's 3-n-out'ing it all game.
    There goes the franchise...

Comment

Yeah, it was an amazing throw. Here's a video

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b33f4e

The throw is at 1:03-1:20
      sigpic

Comment

i like risky also, just not boneheaded. I'm all for the "Gunslinger" QB's just learn to look off the safeties.
        #swapping

Comment

i don't know about amazing THROW. It was certainly gutsy. But it was a hell of a catch!
          "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

Originally posted by Skywalker View Post
            Yeah, it was an amazing throw. Here's a video

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b33f4e

The throw is at 1:03-1:20
            Wow an inch above the defenders hand. Not bad at all.

Comment

That just shows ya that the game really does come down to inches often times. It was a gutsy throw though.
              *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
              *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
              *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

You gotta love it when a QB is giving his WR a chance to make a play. Well thrown ball,, and great finish by Brandon. Brandon made it look easy.

Comment

a lot of cutler's throws have been close with him sending it just by a defenders hand or just over it. it's his style of play and even if we tried to change it I don't think we could. with a guy this good you just have to let him sling it.

Comment

I would rather have a QB

Make gutsy throws like that rather than say um no i better not then result in either a sack or cause him to run for yards and possibly get hurt. It is hard to find a young QB to just sometimes just say to hell with it i am chucking it! I think it is confidence personally in himself and his recievers!!! I say Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by broncofanatik View Post
                      "In the second quarter, facing second-and-eight from the Chiefs' 16, Cutler hit Brandon Marshall for a touchdown that floated just over the outstretched arms of two Kansas City defenders. Cutler saw the two DBs, neither of whom was more than two yards off Marshall, and he still made the throw, knowing that anything other than a perfectly placed ball would likely result in a pick. That's the type of confidence (cockiness?) Cutler has."

I read that and was wondering because I never actualy saw the TD, I only saw the 2nd half, was it a pretty amazing throw? Also is it good to take the good and bad throws together? Obviously if you tell cutler (well shanahan) to stop throwing risky throws for ints, that the amazing throws would go down too I for one like the risks.

Here's the full article. It's also rated game of the week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....html#?eref=T1
                      no ones blaming cutler on trying to make the tight throws the only difference between that throw and the stupid picks that he made in kc is that marshall had beaten the corner and there was no one over the top of marshall but the sideline....those interceptions in kc werent risky throws they were down right stupid throws

Comment

There are different types of QBs in the NFL. Brett Favre would take way too many risks, Peyton Manning will take risks but calculated risks. Cutler is the latter. He makes throws he knows he can make, and he makes them. Every QB will get picked off. Montana, Elway, Marino, Brady, Manning, etc. have all had games they would rather forget. I think last Sunday is one of those for Jay. Its not his first, certainly wont be his last. Cutler will not be a brett Favre in the sense that he will bring his team back from 14 or more points down at some point, he wont set the career INT record, and will have many TDs and yards. He is the next great one, lets just watch it and enjoy the ride because we have something very, very, very special.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange_Nut View Post
                          I think you're right, I think I would rather have the attempts and sometimes get the INT's, than to have a dull offense that's 3-n-out'ing it all game.
                          Could not agree with you more.

You have to play with fire, to create fire.

Comment

What I liked about the throw was that it really wasn't that risky, Jay put it up so high so that BMarsh was going to be the one to catch it, if it was going to be caught. More often than not he put it just a tad too high in those situations and it goes sailing out the back of the endzone (we've seen this a few times already this year), but that time he put it right on the money.

And I honestly don't mind the first INT he got, you have to admit the defender did make a good play on it himself. Most of the time Cutler's ball is thrown so hard that defenders can't react in time, but occasionally they do. The inexcusable move to me was the second INT. As he's bootlegging his left there is a WIDE OPEN Tony Scheffler (I think?) going across the middle but for whatever reason Jay throws it to Marshall who is basically triple covered. Not to mention he has to throw across the field and so it's that much more likely the ball is underthrown. This is where I really want Jay to improve, I love how he takes shots down the field, but it drives me nuts when he does so when there's an underneath receiver who is WIDE OPEN. I've seen this numerous times already over the past couple years and he still does it. It's pretty much my only complaint of Jay so I guess it's good that there is so little to complain about.
                            Last edited by Broncos724; 10-03-2008, 10:11 PM.
                            sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

The throw wasn't that risky really.

But the catch was phenomenal

Comment

Working...
                              X