Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We need a running game (Ryan Torain)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • We need a running game (Ryan Torain)

    What is the status on Ryan Torain? anyone know?

    We are desperately missing a solid running game and I think Torain could help provide that.

    What do you guys think?.....
    Founder of www.NFLDraftBoard.com

  • #2
    What do I think?

    I think if you cant see that selvin is an elite runningback just waiting for consistency, then i doubt I can convince you other wise.

    Torain is alot of hype right now, hes got to prove how good we're all expecting him to be by actually playing in the NFL, I hope he does us good.

    Selvin needs 15-20 carries a game and our rushing attack wont be an issue because we'll know that we still have the best scheme. I dont know how many more times I can say it, Selvin is a freaking playmaker who is not getting the ball even half as much as he needs it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Torain

      Ryan Torain is on schedule to be available for the first game after the bye. Miami I believe. That might be great timing!
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        I dunno. I really believe in Selvin, but I don't think we are a run-first team anymore. Usually pass-first teams don't run the ball well but they pass the ball so well it doesn't really matter. Our defense and special teams have been more of a problem than our running game thus far. We really look like the Colts from a few years ago or the Pats of last year always passing and rarely running. We just haven't really had the big runs yet. We still run the ball well enough to move the chains which is huge and that is what I saw today in Pittman. I really like our offense right now.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Combo1985 View Post
          I dunno. I really believe in Selvin, but I don't think we are a run-first team anymore. Usually pass-first teams don't run the ball well but they pass the ball so well it doesn't really matter. Our defense and special teams have been more of a problem than our running game thus far. We really look like the Colts from a few years ago or the Pats of last year always passing and rarely running. We just haven't really had the big runs yet. We still run the ball well enough to move the chains which is huge and that is what I saw today in Pittman. I really like our offense right now.
          Good point. I think that's why Pittman has slowly become a favorite. He can run smash and power to help p/u short yrdg gains and he can catch very well out of the backfield. I think both Young and Hall are both mid level back that would've worked great in our running systems from a few years back, but on this team the running game is not consistent enough to allow that. Torrain will hopefully fill a void, because it looks like we're gonna need him to be a Marshall Faulk type HB.
          #swapping

          Comment


          • #6
            pittman should be starting til torain comes back with selvin spelling him, and hall getting the odd carry


            i think when torain comes back. it should be him starting, with pittman back to his normal role he has now, and selvin as a 6-8 carry change of pace back.


            torain is a unknown, but selvin lacks drive and power, hall lacks vision, and pittman is getting old....lol we do need something thats for sure, but thank god for pittman can you imagine what we would be going through right now without him

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
              pittman should be starting til torain comes back with selvin spelling him, and hall getting the odd carry


              i think when torain comes back. it should be him starting, with pittman back to his normal role he has now, and selvin as a 6-8 carry change of pace back.


              torain is a unknown, but selvin lacks drive and power, hall lacks vision, and pittman is getting old....lol we do need something thats for sure, but thank god for pittman can you imagine what we would be going through right now without him
              Remember the people who said cut Pittman he's a bum. He play's with more fire and heart than anyone. I'm gonna look those posts up some people have some dues to pay.
              Those Indians could prove troublesome...General George Armstrong Custer

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chris Wade View Post
                Remember the people who said cut Pittman he's a bum. He play's with more fire and heart than anyone. I'm gonna look those posts up some people have some dues to pay.

                very true, i am not one of them, i always liked him, and was happy about the pick-up because i am not a big fan of hall or selvin..........in fact i still wish mike bell was on this team

                Comment


                • #9
                  Selvin a elite RB?? Are you kidding me? The guiy would not start for any other NFL team! He is a back up at best. He is tackled far to easily and does not run with power. Look at Felix Jones or Stewart, they will be elite RBs!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Pittman over Young?

                    Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
                    pittman should be starting til torain comes back with selvin spelling him, and hall getting the odd carry


                    i think when torain comes back. it should be him starting, with pittman back to his normal role he has now, and selvin as a 6-8 carry change of pace back.


                    torain is a unknown, but selvin lacks drive and power, hall lacks vision, and pittman is getting old....lol we do need something thats for sure, but thank god for pittman can you imagine what we would be going through right now without him
                    Based on the play on Sunday, I have to agree - I think Pittman is starting to emerge as a starting running back. His running style is aggressive, powerful and in-your-face. This kind of running style really requires teams to commit to stopping this type of runner. I just like a more physical running game, add in there a FB like Hillis or Larsen and defenses have to gang tackle to make stops.
                    Ideally this opens up cutback lanes and bootleg opportunities. To me the biggest question will be durability.

                    I also like the idea of Torrain getting into the mix in the next few weeks. He is supposed to be a very physical, "Terrell Davis Style" (Shanny's words) running back. I just like a more physical running game, add in there a FB like Hillis or Larsen and defenses have to gang tackle to make stops.

                    The problem I have with Selvin Young right now is that he isn't finishing his runs. It seems that he tries to work to the outside a lot and then gets forced or runs out of bounds.

                    We have another big game against the Jags this week. They are very physical, so I hope we are prepared to match their intensity and physicality.
                    Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I am not one to change my views of a team........

                      Just after a one game performance. However i am not taking anything away from pittman. But i think that we need to continue with what we have been doing. Selvin Young and Hall have the speed and abilities to get the long quick to the house runs. I think what we did with Pittman was just another sign of how much of a genius Shanny really is! I would rather use Pittman the way we did against the Bucs only if we have to. For instance against Hard hitting Defenses to wear them down, and in the Goalline the dude is a powerhouse!!!

                      As far as Torain, well i agree with another poster i haven't seen him perform in gametime and i do understand how special he is and can be but at the same time I hope they don't just put him in right as soon as he is healthy. I hope they wait til they have a run game established and then give him a Quarter of play time with as many touches as we can and se what he produces, if he produces well then we go from their , but if he doesn't it will be early enough in the game that we can get the yardage back. But I like how Selvin is doing his average per carry is better than most elite RB's so he definitely can find holes thats proof, And Hall is quick i like him to you have to keep in mind the different defensesthat they have been up against before you throw then under the bus.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Selvin is NOT an elite RB. Lets face reality here, he was an undrafted free agent that was always hurt in college...Now he is a fast guy, but he runs slow in the game....He is timid.

                        He misses the hole or the cutback repeatedly. He goes down on arm tackles. He is not as good as pittman, but he is better than Hall. Hall is just too small.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Selvin Young is averaging 5.7 yds a carry(down from 6.2 prior to this game)
                          Thats pretty good, no wait, thats really good.

                          It's really the play calling that is keeping our offense pass happy.
                          I will agree with that there are a lot of RBs out there who can probably do as well in our system if not better, but folks you're not going to get much better, 5.7 is nothing to scoff at, heck 4.5 is nothing to scoff at, Young has done nothing but prove himself. The reason we don't have some visualized solid running game, has very little to do with Young. It's simply coach's preference for a pass happy game since our air attack is so powerful.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The YPC number is misleading. He does not run to gain the tough yards. Against good defenses our offensive production will be down because we do not have an effective running game. A effective running game allows you to control the clock and would negate teams making 4th quarter come backs like what happened in San Diego. Selvin is a back up, nothing more.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bjohnson1969 View Post
                              The YPC number is misleading. He does not run to gain the tough yards. Against good defenses our offensive production will be down because we do not have an effective running game. A effective running game allows you to control the clock and would negate teams making 4th quarter come backs like what happened in San Diego. Selvin is a back up, nothing more.

                              your right, selvin is a back up, well at least hes getting around the same amount of carries of a back up.

                              I promise you, the game we give selvin an entire drive, we will score. Selvin is just awaiting his chance to show what he can do.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X