We need a running game (Ryan Torain)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bjohnson1969 View Post
    The YPC number is misleading. He does not run to gain the tough yards. Against good defenses our offensive production will be down because we do not have an effective running game. A effective running game allows you to control the clock and would negate teams making 4th quarter come backs like what happened in San Diego. Selvin is a back up, nothing more.
    Exactly, I mean Cutler averaged 5.3 a carry yesterday. Does that make him a good RB? We have marginal backs. Pittman is the only one who has shown he can get the tough yards. If Selvin was such a stud he would not be pulled in goal line situations.

Comment

You may be right but I just don't see it. He plays to soft and goes down to easily and not that explosive to me. Did you see the way Portis ran this weekend? Lowers the shoulder and runs hard between the tackles. Selvin reminds me to much of Tatum Bell. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
        Exactly, I mean Cutler averaged 5.3 a carry yesterday. Does that make him a good RB? We have marginal backs. Pittman is the only one who has shown he can get the tough yards. If Selvin was such a stud he would not be pulled in goal line situations.
        Come on.. thats not fair. Cutler averages 5.3 on 2 carries Thats not the same as saying that Selvin Young, who gets the MAJORITY of our carries is averaging 5.7 ypc. That would be like saying some back-up QB that has thrown two passes this season and averages 17 yrds a pass and a 100% completion percentage is better than Jay.

I don't know where you guys are getting this "his stats are misleading." I know (believe me I preach it).. that stats don't tell the whole story, but HOW is his stats 'misleading' and that he goes down 'easy and is soft?' How? How is the 5.7, after 47 carries for the year, misleading? Because he's gotten a lot of "junk time" runs against 3rd string defenders??

Selvin Young is NOOOOOO elite RB. I was shocked to see someone write this. But I have still YET to see this "soft Rb that goes down by arm tackles" when he is averaging 5.7 ypc after getting nearly 10 carries a game.

Comment

Originally posted by bjohnson1969 View Post
          You may be right but I just don't see it. He plays to soft and goes down to easily and not that explosive to me. Did you see the way Portis ran this weekend? Lowers the shoulder and runs hard between the tackles. Selvin reminds me to much of Tatum Bell. Just my opinion.

agree to disagree i guess..

Its going to take some time, but im going to make a highlight video of selvin young from this year. Not the whole offense, just selvin. Maybe if you can see his carries back to back, rather than seeing him get 5 and taken out, you might see him in a different light. Hes not a powerback, but he almost always goes forwards and has the ability to take it all the way

Comment

I like Pitman because he can do what none of our other running backs could have done at the end of the game. Pound the ball up the middle when the defense was expecting it.
            [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
              Come on.. thats not fair. Cutler averages 5.3 on 2 carries Thats not the same as saying that Selvin Young, who gets the MAJORITY of our carries is averaging 5.7 ypc. That would be like saying some back-up QB that has thrown two passes this season and averages 17 yrds a pass and a 100% completion percentage is better than Jay.

I don't know where you guys are getting this "his stats are misleading." I know (believe me I preach it).. that stats don't tell the whole story, but HOW is his stats 'misleading' and that he goes down 'easy and is soft?' How? How is the 5.7, after 47 carries for the year, misleading? Because he's gotten a lot of "junk time" runs against 3rd string defenders??

Selvin Young is NOOOOOO elite RB. I was shocked to see someone write this. But I have still YET to see this "soft Rb that goes down by arm tackles" when he is averaging 5.7 ypc after getting nearly 10 carries a game.
              Well if people are going to extol the virtues of Selvin and his amazing YPC it would only be fair to apply it to others. And if he isn't soft (which is debatable) then why is Pittman the Goal line/Short yardage back instead of Selvin? I was at the game yesterday and the running game with Selvin just wasn't on track. And in order to go far in the playoffs, your back has to be able to get on track foer the entire game. IMHO Selvin is NOT the guy to control the clock in January.

Comment

Well if people are going to extol the virtues of Selvin and his amazing YPC it would only be fair to apply it to others. And if he isn't soft (which is debatable) then why is Pittman the Goal line/Short yardage back instead of Selvin? I was at the game yesterday and the running game with Selvin just wasn't on track. And in order to go far in the playoffs, your back has to be able to get on track foer the entire game. IMHO Selvin is NOT the guy to control the clock in January.
                how is selvin suppose to get on track if they keep taking him off the track? Let the man get just 1 freaking drive in and you'll see the consistency pay off. He got alot of carries last year when he finally started to get some. He broke huge plays because he was getting at least 50% midseason. Now he is split with 3 backs and getting less than 10 carries a game, its impossible to be consistent being taken on and off..His first freaking play, he got 8 yard on 1st down..2nd 2 and he get taken immediately out. Hes not getting a chance to run for short yardage and goal line, its not that he can do it.

Comment

Because, Selvin isnt that type of back. Hes a speedier guy, that runs the ball inbetween the twenties. Nothing wrong with it. The RBBC works, at least modestly. Were still 11th in rushing yards, despite being 18th in attempts per game.

Bucs allwoing an average of 3.5 yards a rush befoe us, we averaged 4.1. Not too shabby against one of the better defenses in the league, especially cosniderign we didnt attack the field vertically for basically the whole game.
                  sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
                  SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

There is no "feature back" on our roster or practice squad...IMO i think we will find our elite running back in the draft this year.... Lok for Shanny to snag Javon Ringer in the 2nd or 3rd round of this years draft...this kid is a threat to score every time he touches the ball.
                    sigpic
                    This kid belongs in Blue and Orange!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by M1LEHIGH View Post
                      There is no "feature back" on our roster or practice squad...IMO i think we will find our elite running back in the draft this year.... Lok for Shanny to snag Javon Ringer in the 2nd or 3rd round of this years draft...this kid is a threat to score every time he touches the ball.
                      Im not certain he will last that long, and his number of touches scare me. Hes avaeraging 35 carries a game, and thats not against the meat of the Big Ten, where MSU will almost without a doubt lean on their best player.
                      sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
                      SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

I like Pittman!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CutlerEra06 View Post
                          how is selvin suppose to get on track if they keep taking him off the track? Let the man get just 1 freaking drive in and you'll see the consistency pay off. He got alot of carries last year when he finally started to get some. He broke huge plays because he was getting at least 50% midseason. Now he is split with 3 backs and getting less than 10 carries a game, its impossible to be consistent being taken on and off..His first freaking play, he got 8 yard on 1st down..2nd 2 and he get taken immediately out. Hes not getting a chance to run for short yardage and goal line, its not that he can do it.
                          It's obvious he has shown Shanny during practice that he is not an every down back or else he would be. Why would the coach not play the best guy for the situation? If Young had feature back skills, he would be the feature back.

Comment

It's obvious he has shown Shanny during practice that he is not an every down back or else he would be. Why would the coach not play the best guy for the situation? If Young had feature back skills, he would be the feature back.

He could be a feature back, but is not being given the opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by CutlerEra06 View Post
                              He could be a feature back, but is not being given the opportunity.
                              You earn opporunities in practice. If he was lights out in practice, he would be the feature back. It has always been that way under Shanahan. If he was as good as you think he is, he would be getting 20 carries a game.

Comment

You earn opporunities in practice. If he was lights out in practice, he would be the feature back. It has always been that way under Shanahan. If he was as good as you think he is, he would be getting 20 carries a game.
                                its that way under any coach thats worth his chalk....think about it why would you try ANY player at ANY position unless they showed you in some way that they could handle it?....Obviously Selvin either isnt all we wish he was...or they have concerns about his durability and they want to keep him healthy...I'm still waiting to see Torain....Shannahan saying he was one of the most talented backs he had ever worked with sounds impressive considering some of our past talents

Comment

Working...
                                X