Moss possible at outside linebacker - Shanahan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moss possible at outside linebacker - Shanahan

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan on Monday said that defensive end Jarvis Moss, the team's first-round draft pick in 2007, could play at outside linebacker.

"He's right there in the 240 range and he still has his speed," Shanahan said. "You may see him some as a defensive end and some as an outside linebacker, so we've got the abilities to do some things with Jarvis that we haven't done in the past."

Moss has been a healthy scratch in three of the Broncos' five games this season, including Sunday's win against Tampa. He does not fit as well into the 3-4 scheme the team has used at times in the past few games.

Moss, officially listed at 265 pounds, played in six games in 2007 before breaking his right leg. He has one career sack.

Broncos re-add Mustard to ranks

The Broncos on Monday re-signed tight end Chad Mustard and released offensive lineman Dylan Gandy.

Mustard played for the Broncos in 2006 and 2007 and was among the team's final cuts after the preseason.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10652224

Moss at LB. eh? Interesting.... he's big.... has some speed.... hmmmm.... I like the idea. I say try it out and see what happens. It's not like it's gonna HURT our d.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Moss should play DE in the 4-3 and OLB when they go 3-4, this would make sense, which is more than you can say for when they had him and Dumervil at DE in the 3-4......that didn't make sense......

Comment

A lot of people talked about him in that position of a hybrid 3-4 guy on the outside. I think he fits it and now were showing a lot of 3-4 looks.

Comment

I dunno about this move.........

Comment

Didnt the Giants do the same thing last year?

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos6FTW View Post
              Didnt the Giants do the same thing last year?
              With Mathius Kiwanuka, he's since been moved back to RDE with the Umonyiora injury (I don't think I spelled either of those names right)......

Comment

Originally posted by str8jacket View Post
                I dunno about this move.........
                Why not? He's not suited for a 4-3 end. He just doesn't have the size.

Who knows what we'll see from it or if we'll see him at all in that role but at least they're trying to work this guy into a position where he may be able to make more of an impact.

Comment

Well we used Spencer Larson sunday as a fullback and I think he did rather well. So I say why the heck not. Instead of letting our first rounder be a bust lets see what all we can try to get out of him first. If he is best suited going back and forth lets do it. I want to see him on the field
                  sigpic

Comment

He is a first round talent...So why in the hell do we scratch him from every game....Get him on the field......He is an athlete, you gotta give him the chance to help this team and we are not doing it by sitting him out of every game. Try it out. I hope he does well. Go Broncos!!!!
                    sigpic
                    This kid belongs in Blue and Orange!!!!

Comment

I'm not real happy with the idea - The best situation for Jarvis should be exactly what we brought him here to do, put pressure on the quarterback as a DE. I don't think we should be finding places to make our #1 picks work with stuff, we are supposed to be building our line around these young guys. I say we hit the 4-3, let Moss see some snaps and get things done.

If we set our line up with Moss, Thomas, Robertson and Doom on those 3rd and pass downs there isn't a reason why we shouldn't be able to pressure the QB.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                        Well we used Spencer Larson sunday as a fullback and I think he did rather well. So I say why the heck not. Instead of letting our first rounder be a bust lets see what all we can try to get out of him first. If he is best suited going back and forth lets do it. I want to see him on the field
                        That's what I'm saying. If that type of role will help him out then that's great. We have great talent but sometimes people are asked to do things that just don't suit them. That's not always their fault. The coaches have to be able to recognize that, and put that person in a position to make plays.

Utilize this dudes talent and see what he's got. He's tall and fairly quick. He'd be able to drop back into coverage and/or delay rush pretty well.

I think it's a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by // / yardo View Post
                          That's what I'm saying. If that type of role will help him out then that's great. We have great talent but sometimes people are asked to do things that just don't suit them. That's not always their fault. The coaches have to be able to recognize that, and put that person in a position to make plays.

Utilize this dudes talent and see what he's got. He's tall and fairly quick. He'd be able to drop back into coverage and/or delay rush pretty well.

I think it's a good idea.
                          i dont know hes not that fast, hes quick and thats why he was a good DE option to SOME people but when hes gonna be out in space i dont think hes fast enough for his size

i mean hes 6-6 240 and runs in the 4.7s

Boss in comparison is 6-3 or 6-4 230 and runs 4.3s
                          sigpic
                          -------

Comment

Thats weird. Wasn't Shanahan just bragging about how good our LB's are. Boss,Nate, Webster, DJ, Woodyard, Niko, Louis Green, Spencer Larsen, and now Jarvis?

Are we really trying to switch to a 3-4 defense without he D-lineman to run it? What about DOOM???

I don't know..... I have never been more confused about what Shanahan is thinking

But if it works you won't hear me complain
                            sigpic

Comment

If getting Moss in there to develop his pass rush means standing him up in a 3-4 then I'm all for it, this could be the same kind of role that Jason Taylor was playing when he won the Defensive MVP.

How you define his role is secondary to getting him on the field to develop, imo......

Comment

Working...
                              X