Moss possible at outside linebacker - Shanahan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AC1 View Post
    I'm noticing a lot of people making the claim that we already have a bunch of good linebackers. I agree, but they are all 4-3 linebackers.

In a 3-4 defense, the OLBs are typically converted DEs. Moss is probably the only true 3-4 OLB candidate we have right now.
    exactly. And 4-3 LB's usually take the inside spots in the 3-4

Comment

• The line up I would like to see them try if Moss proves he can play LB in the 3-4 front is:

Moss- OLB
      Williams- ILB
      Bailey- ILB
      Dumervil- OLB

Thomas- DE
      Robertson- NT
      Peterson- DE

Some people might say that Dumervil is too short to play LB but he's not much shorter than a lot of linebackers and his long arms make up for his lack of height. He's about as fast if not faster than Moss, so speed isn't an issue either.

Despite Robertson's dislike for the NT position, he was better than any of the Broncos DTs last year with 74 tackles and(I believe) 5.5 sacks. With the Broncos looking to only use the 3-4 on a limited basis, it shouldn't bother him too much to play the position.

The bottom line is that the Broncos are right to find any way they can to get Moss on the field. Obviously this move shows of a lack of confidence in Moss to contribute consistently as a DE in the 4-3 front. But, since they aren't going to find a stud DE or linebacker on the street, they are relegated to trying to find a way to use what they have on the roster now.

I wonder if they've had him practicing at the LB position since some time before Shanahan made the public comment or if the plan is to have him start this week or after the NE game.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?
      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

If his sack total does go up, why would we trade him? Wouldn't one of our players having a lot of sacks be a good thing?

we dont play the 3-4 enough.....but i think he would be a prob bowl player in a full time 3-4 defense....if he is fine with being a rotaional guy so be it, but dont be suprised when he walks at the end of his contract.....our best bet is to use him in this role for a couple years, build his value up then trade him before he walks in FA because he isnt getting enough playing time. this will most certainly be a gripe if his sacks go up, so it ends up being a win win for both teams, although in the end his first rd staus means we arent getting full value back, but its better then having him walk for free.

Comment

• Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
          we dont play the 3-4 enough.....but i think he would be a prob bowl player in a full time 3-4 defense....if he is fine with being a rotaional guy so be it, but dont be suprised when he walks at the end of his contract.....our best bet is to use him in this role for a couple years, build his value up then trade him before he walks in FA because he isnt getting enough playing time. this will most certainly be a gripe if his sacks go up, so it ends up being a win win for both teams, although in the end his first rd staus means we arent getting full value back, but its better then having him walk for free.
          I see what you are saying, and though I think it's too early to be thinking about the end of Moss' contract, I'm not going to criticize anyone for thinking ahead (even far ahead).

I think if Moss shows himself to be a solid 3-4 linebacker, we can leverage that by drafting a Terrance Cody or an Al Woods to be our NT and attempt to build a 3-4 front, since those (NT and rushing OLB) are the two most important pieces anyway.
          Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

I'm noticing a lot of people making the claim that we already have a bunch of good linebackers. I agree, but they are all 4-3 linebackers.

In a 3-4 defense, the OLBs are typically converted DEs. Moss is probably the only true 3-4 OLB candidate we have right now.
            exactly!!

another benefit to playing the 3-4 would be an opportunity to get Spencer Larsen in at LB again. He would be a much better 3-4 ILB than a 4-3 MLB. He has the attitude willing to go hit someone that someone else mentioned in this post.

how about this for a lineup. It would give us a good combo of speed and power in the middle with 2 pass rushers on the outside

LDE robertson (replaced by Tyson Jackson in next years draft)
            NT Peterson (replaced by Powell, FA or draft pick next year such as Terrance Taylor, Al Woods, Peria Jerry, or Dorell Scott)
            RDE Marcus Thomas

LOLB Moss or dumervil
            LILB boss bailey
            RILB Spencer Larsen
            ROLB DJ
            Last edited by broncos SB2010; 10-08-2008, 07:19 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

• Might as well try right?

What's gonna happen? We give up 5 yards a carry?

Oh wait..

Comment

Working...
              X