our running game is terrible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• our running game is terrible

it obviously isn't our o-line. they only gave 2 sacks in five games. so its got to be our backs. ryan torian was awesome during camp but he's out and selvin isn't cutting the mustard. what do we do?

Originally posted by hellrazor881 View Post
    it obviously isn't our o-line. they only gave 2 sacks in five games. so its got to be our backs. ryan torian was awesome during camp but he's out and selvin isn't cutting the mustard. what do we do?
    We bring in Chad Mustard... then we cut him!

Our offensive line has excelled in pass blocking... but the overall movement of the line to excel in the Zone Blocking for running that we employ will take longer to gel. In the mean time, we're taking advantage of the great pass blocking to open up through the air.

Comment

What LT said.

Pass blocking success does not equal run blicking success. Plus, the RB stable right now is full of backups, no real workhorse.

Give the line some time to pick up the ZBS, the running game will improve.

I've said it before -- right now, the Broncos are still a work in progress. This is not the peak of this team, they will only improve and get better!

Comment

Our RB's are averaging 5.0 as a unit, so it obviously isn't our RB's.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
          Our RB's are averaging 5.0 as a unit, so it obviously isn't our RB's.
          Its the playcalling, we are relying heavily on our Passing...

Comment

There have been a number of great 2 and 3 yard runs from Hall and Young (mostly Hall though) where they have made something out of nothing. I think the run blocking has been subpar, but to be fair, we have not done a great deal of running, so our backs have not had the opportunity to wear down the opposing defense.

My first thought in the Tampa game when it started raining was, "Uh-oh, now we have to prove we can run." Fortunately we really did not have to do so, but in the third to last series (I think??) we did impose our will to a degree. This will admittedly be a work in progress with Harris and Clady. Hamilton has gotten owned on a number of run plays where he had to pull and hit somebody at the second level. He's just too small. That is a key area to watch next year - if we can get someone with his athleticism who weighs 310, the run game will be significantly better.

Comment

Were ranked 14th in total yards, despite being in 18th in attempts per game.

In the top 5 teams for attempts per game, 3 are averaging under 4 yards a carry. Not running it all that well, just running it a lot. Were 9th in yards per attempt, with 4.5. Id say the running game could use some tweaks, but, it is not a real problem.
              sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
              SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

I disagree.hall , young, pittman, hillis have all been productive.now we get torian back.I dont see how its a problem keeping fresh legs on the field even if everyone isnt walter out there.and the run game can only get better with experience, give em some games to learn up on how the nfl plays..

Comment

The running game is not terrible, it's just not being as heavily relied on as in years past. Selvin is averaging 5.7 yards a carry, so he IS "cutting the mustard". And Torain might be back in a couple of weeks or so, but if not, our runnning game will be fine without him, he would just make it even better.

Comment

The issue is that we're not gameplanning around the running game right now. We are not running to set up the pass, but vice-versa. This could be because Mike and Co. still question Selvin's durability and consider all of our options to be a temporary stopgap. When we throw on a 2nd and 3 and again on a 3rd and 3, that's exactly what it says to me. I'd like to see us pound the rock, and I think Shanahan would too, so there must be a legit reason why we're not doing it.
                    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

I wouldnt say our running game is terrible. Is it as good or as recognized as it was during the "we could put a 70 year old chained convict with a wooden pegleg in there and he'll rush for 1000 yards" years? No. But it still kind of produces.

Honestly I grew really tired with the above mentioned mentality. Because in my most humble of opinions that has kept us from trying to get a good solid every down, every play back. Weve been doing this RB by committee thing for a while now and im personally sick of it. Think back to when we had 1000 yard rushers. We had one guy. One dude carrying the rock for 90% of the running plays. TD, Portis, Anderson, and even Gary.

We'd put in other guys but mostly we just had one solid back to carry the load for us. IMO we need to find another back that can do that, and go back to that gameplan.

But thats just my opinion and im not the coach. Just a fan.
                      Last edited by HurricaneDovs; 10-07-2008, 05:42 PM.
                      LET 'ER BUCK!!!
                      Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Comment

I always thought the Broncos passed to set up the run. I think we still do , even with Cutler back there.if we get a good mix ofpass/run well, Cutler will be unstoppable(with the help of marshall and the boys)

Comment

after the bye week we will definately see more from the running game and its only because d's will be catching up to some of shannys passing schemes and we'll be in great shape with all our backs having had a pretty light workload in the 1st half of the season while guys like jones drew and lt and brown getting worn down...we'll have "fresh horses" to finish the reg season and PLAY OFFS!
                          go BRONCS!
                          i'm a BRONCO'S fan !:go:

Comment

The pass has always set up the run....

But I think that we are seeing a LOT more 3rd and short.. and Goal line... success then the last couple of years. So Its hard to say that our RBs and OL isn't doing the job.

Most here were YELLING and screaming.. (crying) about our 'small' OL and whining about how we get no push and can never score from the goal-line. Saying we never got any push to get the short yardage first downs. Do we see that problem now??? No, we don't. We've had great success on short yardage needs and Pittman is scoring well on the goalline downs.

We dont have any super stars in teh Running game, thats for sure. But the mixture of backs we have is working well, not great, but well.

Comment

When you only run the ball about an avg of 22 times a game by your running backs and you are dividing it up between 3 backs your not going to have good running game stat wise for these backs. But over all the running game doesn't look so bad. Example Young 10 carries 40 yards 1 TD, Hall 9 carries 36 yards, and Pittman 6 carries 25 yards and 1 TD. It doesn't look very impressive but when you add it up 25 carries 101 yards and 2 TDs isn't so bad. I still prefer the having one main back and maybe a 3rd down back, makes it a little easier to pick my Fantasy team players each week.

Comment

Working...
                              X