X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronco_Hyde
    replied
    Originally posted by Cutler_aka_god View Post
    Seriously what is so bad It's obvious the top 5 are all pretty darn good teams. I can definitely see arguments for Philadelphia being some lower, Arizona being lower and Definitely Washington being higher, and N.Y. Jets being higher And actually Jets are barely that low if they did a little bit better against San diego, they probably would jump like 4 spots that is how close those other teams are to them. and yes I understand why you Bronco fans think Broncos ahead of tampa obviously cuz we just beat them and I almost did, but the two spots would be just switched. Yes hyde this time I did get a little emotional about it.

Well, Carolina and Chicago are good, but no way they're top 5. Other than the ones you already mentioned, the Ravens are too high. SD is way too high. Miami is too high. And because they are all too high so many are too low. jacksonville, GB, NO, NE. Sorry, it's just all wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco_Hyde
    replied
    Originally posted by JayCutler4MVP!!! View Post

I can't believe so many people are taking this seriously.

Cutler_AKA_God is just joking. These arn't really his power rankings.
    No one would make rankings this pathetic
    Are you sure? What about these guys?
    http://www.docsports.com/2008/nfl-po...ngs-5-179.html
    Chargers at #6, and the Colts above the Broncos . . . . YIKES!

Leave a comment:

• Cutler_aka_god
    replied
    what is so bad about these other than a few teams???

Finally here! I didn't get many retorts about my rankings last week like I did two weeks ago and had just as many people that liked the rankings last week as disliked. This week is different. Last week I liked my rankings. This week I expect to get a lot of chit talk. I expect it but these rankings are built with a system, the same system I used last week, and the same non-biased system I will use next week! For example last week I had Tampa two above Denver with me thinking Denver was favored by 1-2 points (which case teams rarely win by 2 so practically 1-3 points) This week Tampa is one above Denver because as of this point I think on a neutral site (home teams get a 3 point advantage in the spreads) tampa bay would hold a very very slight advantage, as in if they played 100 games Tampa would win like 52-53 of them is how slight. That being said...

Biggest Movers up: Carolina up 10, and Arizona up 10.
    Biggest Movers down: Buffalo down 7, and Seattle down 7.
    1. N.Y. Giants up 1
    2. Tennessee Titans down 1
    3. Carolina Panthers up 10
    4. Chicago Bears up 7
    5. Dallas Cowboys even
    6. Philadelphia Eagles down 2
    7. Arizona Cardinals up 10
    8. Pittsburgh Steelers up 1
    9. Baltimore Ravens down 2
    10. Buffalo down 7
    11. Tampa Bay Bucs down 3
    12. Denver Broncos down 2
    13. San Diego Chargers down 7
    14. Washington Redskins up 2
    15. Atlanta Falcons even
    16. New Orleans Saints down 4
    17. Miami Dolphins up 2
    18. Green Bay Packers down 4
    19. New England Patriots up 5
    20. N.Y. Jets down 2
    21. Minnesota Vikings up 2
    22. Jacksonville Jaguars even
    23. San Fransisco 49ers down 3
    24. Indianapolis Colts up 1
    25. Oakland Raiders up 1
    26. Cleveland Browns up 1
    27. Cincinnati Bengals up 2
    28. Seattle Sea hawks down 7
    29. Houston Texans up 1
    30. Kansas City Chiefs down 2
    31. Detroit Lions even
    32. St. Louis Rams even
    5 spots didn't change. 7 teams changed only 1 spot, 9 teams only changed 2 spots, and two teams changed 3 spots. Last week I had 20 teams change 3 or less this week I have 23 teams with 3 or less (21 with 2 or less)
    Seriously what is so bad It's obvious the top 5 are all pretty darn good teams. I can definitely see arguments for Philadelphia being some lower, Arizona being lower and Definitely Washington being higher, and N.Y. Jets being higher And actually Jets are barely that low if they did a little bit better against San diego, they probably would jump like 4 spots that is how close those other teams are to them. and yes I understand why you Bronco fans think Broncos ahead of tampa obviously cuz we just beat them and I almost did, but the two spots would be just switched. Yes hyde this time I did get a little emotional about it.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
    replied

I can't believe so many people are taking this seriously.

Cutler_AKA_God is just joking. These arn't really his power rankings.
    No one would make rankings this pathetic

Leave a comment:

• Cutler_aka_god
    replied
    Broncohyde RE:

And the only reason that ESPN's rankings are a lot better than what it should be is because they have several experts pick the teams and then average it out, which is also a system to some extent, plus some of those experts probably have there own system. I think Nfl has only one person doing it Vic Carucci but not sure, cuz I could have sworn he also compiled a lot of other peoples rankings, but this makes sense that his are considered really bad. Maybe not atrocious but close. When one person does it based on his own stuff internally or with a system and don't look at other rankings and just do it by him or her self they usually will be considered pretty bad probably over 98 percent of the time I know it is a made up stat----98 percent, but it is probably accurate. not trying to exaggerate this time hyde so don't try to catch me this time

Leave a comment:

• Cutler_aka_god
    replied
    Cutlerera RE:

I all ready stated a couple times that my system is flawed early on in the year because of schedule strengths and schedule weaknesses. And I all ready mentioned Washington and Arizona several times as key examples. I also think N.Y. Jets is another key example but time will tell, and I think there has been only 1 person (which surprises me) to say anything about the Jets that low. I stated earlier for example Washington has had a very tough schedule, but the laws of averages with my system will eventually work. They had a very tough schedule but now this week they play St. louis helping to balance it out, I predict probably for sure at least 8th place next week. and I am thinking at least 6th...we shall see. I have thought about it and think I have a way early on to fix this for next year, but for now the laws of averages are going to start working prime example washington....St Louis next week the worse team in the league. Oh and Arizona next week plays Dallas...
    Last edited by Cutler_aka_god; 10-08-2008, 12:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CutlerEra06
    replied
    sorry, but if arizona is ranked where they are, then your system if FLAWED. That should be a red flag IMO

Leave a comment:

• Bronco_Hyde
    replied
    You did catch me exaggerating lol will you stop that???just kidding lol. Yes I think this week of mine is worse than most if not all of the experts and that is just because of a few teams on it sigh. But Broncohyde I do think that sooner or later you will have to say mine are better than most if not all of the experts wait and see, your being brutally honest to me so when mine are at least as good as the experts you should back em up, if not I will take it lol. But I only thought they were worse after discussing this issue with you guys. Now that I am done rambling back to the original subject:
    Atrocious for the experts was wrong and maybe I am wrong on most people as being over half but a lot of people think the experts rankings are bad. I personally like Espn's rankings overall think they have quite a few things to fix but so does everyone's.
    Just call me the exaggeration police. :thumb:

If they get better, I will agree, but I still think you should use your sense more than your system. As for professional rankings . . . I pretty much don't pay any attention to ESPN or NFLN or any of the major TV guys. They tend to promote stories and/or rankings that will boost ratings and profit rather than truly knowing anything about football. But some of the more independent sites and individuals do a very good job week to week, and I don't think they need a system to do it.
    For example:
    http://www.covers.com/sports/power-r...nking.aspx?t=0 Pretty good except having Dallas #1 ahead of Ten and NYG

On the bright side, there are others who are just as bad if not worse than yours. Check this out: http://www.docsports.com/2008/nfl-po...ngs-5-179.html
    Chargers at #6, and the Colts above the Broncos . . . . YIKES!
    Last edited by Bronco_Hyde; 10-08-2008, 12:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cutler_aka_god
    replied
    okay okay broncohyde

You did catch me exaggerating lol will you stop that???just kidding lol. Yes I think this week of mine is worse than most if not all of the experts and that is just because of a few teams on it sigh. But Broncohyde I do think that sooner or later you will have to say mine are better than most if not all of the experts wait and see, your being brutally honest to me so when mine are at least as good as the experts you should back em up, if not I will take it lol. But I only thought they were worse after discussing this issue with you guys. Now that I am done rambling back to the original subject:
    Atrocious for the experts was wrong and maybe I am wrong on most people as being over half but a lot of people think the experts rankings are bad. I personally like Espn's rankings overall think they have quite a few things to fix but so does everyone's. Wow I just re-read this and a little hard to understand but I think you will get the gist of this...I edited this last sentence in

Leave a comment:

• Bronco_Hyde
    replied
    True but how strong will there's be? I think mine will be stronger. I think once the bye weeks are done mine will be stronger than any experts rankings, hey that is an opinion. As I said true this early on for my system doesn't work(it does work for most of the teams but some such as washington and perhaps arizona it hasn't worked early on), I think I have a solution for next year to fix this I am almost certain of this. BTW most people (as in over half) think every rankings out there is atrocious.
    Can't make a statement like that without backing it up. Show any poll or example of 50% of people thinking any professional (or amateur for that matter) rankings are "atrocious".

I think you're wrong. We all have little disagreements with the rankings out there, but very few of the rankings are considered "atrocious". They all have changes to be made (usually because the Broncos are too low), but usually they're described as "OK, but change one thing".

Sorry, but yours are a lot worse than most, and you're just being stubborn and defensive because you like your system. No law against that, but . . . i like my car too; it's a piece of junk, but I like it.

Leave a comment:

• Cutler_aka_god
    replied
    rankings being stronger by week 8.

True but how strong will there's be? I think mine will be stronger. I think once the bye weeks are done mine will be stronger than any experts rankings, hey that is an opinion. As I said true this early on for my system doesn't work(it does work for most of the teams but some such as washington and perhaps arizona it hasn't worked early on), I think I have a solution for next year to fix this I am almost certain of this. BTW most people (as in over half) think every rankings out there is atrocious.

Leave a comment:

• SBboundBRONCOS
    replied
    dont you think everybodys power rankings get stronger by mid-season

i mean obviously they should, it has nothing to do with your system, its just plain obvious that if they dont you have no idea what you talking about . . . in this case you still dont because these rankings are atrocious

Leave a comment:

• Cutler_aka_god
    replied
    Broncohyde Re:

Perhaps you're right Broncohyde. I have discovered one flaw in my system....it doesn't overcome the part of weaker schedules and stronger schedules. But it does get much stronger with the laws of averages. That is why it gets strong around week 7-8. I have thought about what you posted and I think I have a solution for next year (early on that is) for I do in fact get a lot of ridicule for my rankings this early on for sure.
    For example I have gotten a lot of ridicule this week about Washington, and they have had a strong tough schedule, but the laws of averages is about to start coming into play because they play the weakest opponent in the league next week. They should pull ahead considerably. But since 6 weeks is only 2 weeks away from week 8 I will continue with my postings with the same system. I also like to think once all of the bye weeks are out of the way my system will be extremely strong where I place the teams....

Leave a comment:

• Jbronco30
    replied
    horrible rankings

Leave a comment:

• Bronco_Hyde
    replied
    Change your system!

Seriously, Cut_god,

If you really think your system is so good now, think how much better it could be with a simple little addition. It's just a system, you're not locked into it. I get that you think being un-biased is the end all/be all of virtue, but it's not; accuracy is. And your rankings are not accurate. You know this, and have said as much. But you are slave to your precious system rather than using your intelligence.

All you have to do is understand that statistics and formulas have inherent flaws and exceptions. All reliable programs/systems/formulas incorporate procedures for filtering out the variations. So use your formula to get the basic layout, then apply a bit of common sense to move a couple teams around. I'm not saying trash the whole thing (because it's obviously important to you), but being able to move a couple teams around will counteract the inherent variations and flaws in your system. Heck, give yourself a maximum # that can be adjusted so the integrity of the system isn't violated. It would be like a safety factor (which is common practice for almost everything else). You could even restrict yourself to changes in the first half of the season (since it's supposed to get better after that).

One way or another, you really should attempt to adjust the system to make it better, because I don't care how good it supposedly gets, it sucks right now, and a system that is only good for half of the time is useless. It would be like having a car that only started after Wednesday. You're screwed Mon and Tue.
    The human mind is superior to any machine, so you really should utilize it better.
    Last edited by Bronco_Hyde; 10-08-2008, 10:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X