Slow developing DEs in Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow developing DEs in Denver

I, like many of you, am concerned about how slowly Crowder and Moss seem to be coming along, so I thought I would look up how some of our past DEs progressed early in their career to gauge where they are at:

Bert Berry: Drafted by Indy third round in 1997, played in 10 games rookie year, 16 games in years 2 and 3. Came to Denver at beginning of forth year and had two sacks, playing in 16 games starting none. His fifth year in league (second in Denver) he put up 6 sacks playing in 16 games starting none. His sixth year in the league (third in Denver) he finally started 16 game and has 11.5 sacks and was on his way.

Reggie Hayward: Drafted third round by Denver in 2001, played in 6 games and had 2 sacks. Second year played in 9 games had 0 sacks. Third year played in 16 games and had 8.5 sacks (still only started two games). After this was a solid contributor.

Trevor Pryce: Drafted first round by Denver in 1997 played in 8 games and had 2 sacks. In 1998 played in all 16 games and had 8.5 sacks. In 1999 played in 15 games and had 13 sacks and was on his way.

Bryant McNeal was drafted in 2003 but was chronically injured and subsequently cut.

Denver hasn't really drafted any other DEs in the last 10 years (Nick Eason is a DE/DT tweener).

So, I think Shanahan has a history of slowly developing his DEs. Does this mean that Crowder and Moss will develop? I don't know, but we knew Moss was a project coming in and I think we probably should be a bit more patient, especially considering he was injured his rookie year.

Most all DE's are slow to develop. Exceptions have been Mario Williams and Jevon Kearse. Other than that I really can't name any other rookie DE's or even DT's that came in and made a huge impact their first or second year. I'll give Crowder and Moss some time before I throw them under the bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Uglybass View Post
      Most all DE's are slow to develop. Exceptions have been Mario Williams and Jevon Kearse. Other than that I really can't name any other rookie DE's or even DT's that came in and made a huge impact their first or second year. I'll give Crowder and Moss some time before I throw them under the bus.
      Yeah Atlanta is going through the same thing with there DE Jamal Anderson with 21 starts and 0 sacks to show. This guy is 6'6 282. I just think QB, DE, & CB take about 3 years to really develop. I just hate we dont put Moss out there and let him go through his growing pains and learn. After lookinf around the league I notice most of the premier pass rushers got thrown into the fire their second year in the league. (Frenney, Schoebel, Burress, Matthis, Osi, Jared Allen, & KGB in Green Bay to name a few) Maybe we should just put the guy out there and see what he can do.

Comment

Great post! All three of those guys you listed are the ones that the posters here STILL complain about us letting go. Look how long it took them to develope into the players they WANTED to keep..... instead, they want to boot Moss off the team after having a whopping 17 months in the NFL.

Comment

Mark Anderson on the bears...

Comment

Problem is our D is so inconsistent it hurts us to have Moss/Crowder starting at DE more than it helps us. Practically of the teams with these "amazing" DE's that were "thrown into the fray" were one of two things...

A. Already had an amazing defense and could afford it.

B. Were a horrible team and had nothing to lose by letting a DE grow with them.

Problem is like I stated... Denver for the most part has always been a competitive team. Every year we are thinking playoffs and it's been nearly a decade since we've had a good enough D to put some project DE's in to learn. (2005 doesn't count since we didn't have Moss/Crowder etc).

Don't forget Tevor Pryce joined the Broncos in 97... and had had two years + our pathetic 99 season to grow into his role.

Anyhow... bearing big injuries to our vet DE'ers I don't see Moss or Crowder getting the time everyone in here wants them to have.

... where do I stand on this??? If our D shows up like last week from here on out I am fine without them starting. If we go back to scoring 35 a game etc just to win or have HUGE leads in the 4th... put them in and let them grow.
            Last edited by UberBroncoMan; 10-07-2008, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Yes, But Moss cant even get a sniff of the field. Hell he was inactive for the first 2 games. Face it the guy has no talent. He was a bust pick, and the sooner we cut his ass the better off this team will be. The guy does nothing but take up a spot on the charter flight....
              Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Don't forget:
                2003- Aaron Hunt and Clint Mitchell
                2001- Paul Toviessi
                1999- Montae Reagor (think he was drafted as a LB) and David Bowens

Comment

Um...Doomerville
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sdinner10 View Post
                    Um...Doomerville
                    There are many pass rushers that come into this league and contribute immediately, such as Elvis. He is far from a complete DE at this point, whether he'll ever be viable against the run is a huge ?. Right now he should be a situational pass rusher.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Comment

well... since Elvis is a starter and Moss hardly gets activated on gameday, I sould say that Elvis is more complete as a DE than moss is...

Comment

I am with you man. Like a few other posters have mentioned here, Dummervil developed into an efficient pass rusher quite early on. That may have set the bar to a rep that won't be achieved here in Denver for a while. Moss and Crowder will take time to develop, and I believe each of them has the ability to become well rounded ends. Truthfully I feel good about the future of our D line. Right now it's not the best, sure but the pieces are all in place. Thomas is coming along quite nicely and seems to have his head in the right spot. Dummervil along with a developing Moss and Crowder are all players that you can potentially build a line behind. As for now, we have some vets around that can hopefully keep something together that's workable enough to put pressure on the QB until the guard changes. Give it time, they will come together and we may even find ourselves with something special.

Heres to pressure on JAX.

Comment

I would bet a pretty CP that Moss is inactive for Jax game. Jacksonville is a power run team, which is Moss' biggest weakness.

Comment

TC hit it right on the money, and it's great he used Denver players. The NY Giants Defensive Line is proof of that, but Denver Fans are impatient and unwillingly to let them progress. They'd rather have everything go right away, but what "fans" don't.

It takes real fans to realize that for a team to succeed, it must go through a learning process. Not every player is going to make plays right away. Call Moss a bust if you want, but until this season is over. Anything can happen.

Comment

I'm not concerned at all with either of their development at this point. It's a known fact that it takes years to groom defensive linemen for the NFL. Very rare do you see a first or second year dline player excell at the position. Which is why we need to draft dlinemen every year or every other. People who post such garbage as japfaff just don't understand the reality of the position.
                              " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

Comment

Working...
                              X