Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prater's quick thinking won us the game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prater's quick thinking won us the game.

I know this is the second Prater rocks thread I've started in the past few days, but I felt that this article was more than worth it. Prater's intelligence/awareness along with his leg won us the game on Sunday.
    Prater's quick thinking nets long 3-pointer
    The Denver Post

If not for some heads-up foresight by kicker Matt Prater, his 55-yard field goal never would have happened.

On the final play of the first quarter, the Broncos completed a third-down pass for 7 yards when they needed 14 for the first down. The ball was on the Bucs' 37-yard line. Too far to risk bad field position with a missed field goal.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan and special teams coach Scott O'Brien talked it over. They were about to make the safe choice. That's when Prater had an idea.

"They were actually going to punt," Prater said. "I went out on the field and I said, 'Coach, let the clock run out and we'll have the wind. I'll just have to keep it straight and I'll just get it there.' "

The first-quarter clock elapsed. Shanahan took a look at the flags blowing. He let Prater kick with the wind. He made it easily. The field goal that almost never was attempted became the difference.

"Coach made the decision," said Prater, who was 3-for-3 in field goals and 4-of-5 in kickoff touchbacks. "To get that opportunity was awesome."

Prater impressed Bucs coach Jon Gruden.

"Have you ever seen a kicker kick a 55-yard field goal and make it by 25 yards? Why work on your kickoff return when you come here?" Gruden said. "That guy was unbelievable. I can't say enough about it."
    sigpic

I can't wait to see Prater nail that record breaking 64 yard field goal

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
      You will have to be patient because it wont happen until 1 February 2009.

Comment

Amazing. Thanks for the article. Great read.

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
          what makes you think it's ONLY going to be 64 yards? heheh...
          sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Before everyone crowns him Elam does this scare you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cGMc1k9Nxs

Elam the king of clutch kicks.

look I like Prater but this is just scary.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dyna$ty View Post
              Before everyone crowns him Elam does this scare you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cGMc1k9Nxs

Don't care.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that Prater never really had formal coaching on technique till he got to the pros...which is why he tended to miss a fair bit in college, and early in his pro career (he only made 1 of his first 4 kicks). If you look at his technique in that video vs. his current technique it is completely different. in the clip he is starting pretty much right behind the ball where as he now is to the side of the ball like most NFL kickers. Hopefully the coaching and technique adjustments will prevent stuff like that from happening.
                sigpic

Comment

there is a reason why players train year round...

they train to become better...

and im not sure if im the only one who thinks this way, but i think prater has gotten a lot better...

with his leg strength, he could have been a top kicker in any draft if he had the accuracy...

he didnt, but he worked hard and now he is the magical beans that make the whole team toot...

sigpic

Comment

Not really. See, Prater was 1-4 (in the pros) before this year in Denver. Horrible. But now, I mean, has he even missed? He's clearly been improving and is nothing like the kicker he was in college.

Comment

Originally posted by Shutdown View Post
                      Not really. See, Prater was 1-4 (in the pros) before this year in Denver. Horrible. But now, I mean, has he even missed? He's clearly been improving and is nothing like the kicker he was in college.
                      He missed a chip shot in KC...

But he's made everything else.

I'm not upset.
                      Thanks, Reid!
                      sigpic
                      Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                        He missed a chip shot in KC...

But he's made everything else.

I'm not upset.
                        Da*n. I didn't get to watch that game. So that's probably why. I swear I'll watch for the rest of the year.

Comment

Elam has missed 3 XP in his career and has missed 95 field goals (406 out of 501 attempt)

Elam should be a hall of famer. Everybody misses. Even the great ones.
                          sigpic

Comment

I watched the game (again) last night, and I must admit that I'm a little confused about something.

Here's the gamebook description of the last couple of plays of the 1st quarter:

3-4-TB 34 (:38) (Shotgun) J.Cutler scrambles left end ran ob at TB 26 for 8 yards.
                            PENALTY on DEN-B.Hamilton, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at TB 34 - No Play.
                            Penalty on DEN-R.Clady, Offensive Holding, declined.

Timeout #1 by TB at 00:17.

3-14-TB 44 (:17) (Shotgun) J.Cutler pass short left to M.Pittman to TB 37 for 7 yards (G.White).

After Cutler's pass to Pittman there was 12 seconds left on the clock, and it was running. Seems to me that the quarter was going to expire no matter what. When was it that this conversation between Prater, Shanahan & O'Brien took place? Before the play? Before the previous 3rd down play? Earlier in the drive?

The article makes it seem as if they were going to needlessly rush the punt team out on to the field, and at the last second (literally), Prater pushed his idea on Shanahan, and only then, did they let the clock expire.

That's not how it appeared to me. The clock was going to expire before any unit got set, FG, punt, or offense. It was a hell of a kick, and a good move to kick with the wind (duh), but it appears this was a situation born out of circumstance, and not so much out of Prater's genius as the article suggests.

:2cents:
                            Winter is Coming!

Comment

He makes me miss Jason Elam alot less, that's for sure!

Comment

Working...
                              X