Kickoff returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickoff returns

okay i have had it i am tired of seeing hall run straight ahead and try and power through guys on kick off returns. there is no first down to get.......i mean lets face it hall is not the answer at Kick-off returns. he gets by on passionate play and running tough, but on Kick-off returns we need more than that we need a guy with vision and speed and toughness. this is the nfl you cant just run over everybody......i really think he just doesnt have the vision, i see in when he runs the ball as well.

i personally think we should have selvin return kicks, what do you think...and do u think i am off base in my thoughts......

I said in another thread that I don't mind Andre Hall returning kicks. It's not like we have a Devin Hester that we aren't playing. He is averaging 23 yards per kick return better than everyone on our team except Peyton Hillis.

As long as he doesn't fumble I am fine with him. If we had someone clearly better than him than I would have a problem with it. But he is doing a good enough job for me.

I think if we put Selvin back there you wouldn't see to much of a difference but it is just my opinion. The coaches wouldn't have Andre in there if he wasn't the best player for the job.

Next year I wouldn't mind seeing Anthony Alridge have a chance at kick returns, unless he has ball security issues.
    Last edited by jdubv724; 10-08-2008, 05:40 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

I dont think we can really complain about it. Eddie Royal was supposed to be our big return man. But he turned out to be an awesome receiver. I'd rather have Eddie catching passes than returning kicks... and it's too dangerous to have him doing both.
      There goes the franchise...

Comment

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
        okay i have had it i am tired of seeing hall run straight ahead and try and power through guys on kick off returns. there is no first down to get.......i mean lets face it hall is not the answer at Kick-off returns. he gets by on passionate play and running tough, but on Kick-off returns we need more than that we need a guy with vision and speed and toughness. this is the nfl you cant just run over everybody......i really think he just doesnt have the vision, i see in when he runs the ball as well.

i personally think we should have selvin return kicks, what do you think...and do u think i am off base in my thoughts......
        Selvin seems almost tentative on kr's. But I feel you're correct about Andre he's driving with the steering wheel locked . Lots of gas no turning
        Those Indians could prove troublesome...General George Armstrong Custer

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Wade View Post
          Selvin seems almost tentative on kr's. But I feel you're correct about Andre he's driving with the steering wheel locked . Lots of gas no turning

selvin had 2 KO returns and both went for over 30 yds. hall averaging 23 yds a return isnt pretty. i would try pittman, selvin, or hillis there. selvin may seem tentative to you but actually thats not a bad thing because you pay attention to where the holes are and then hit them, on both of selvins returns he did that and he went for 30 plus yds. alot of halls returns he gets, he doesnt look for a hole, and tries to run over people, that doesnt work. as obvious by him getting stuffed at each return. he does the same as a RB....bottom line is hall has no vision period!!!!! he just tries to rely on powering forward. thats fine and dandy sometimes at the RB position, but vision is a must have quality in a kick returner. i am not expecting a devin hester, but i am expecting some one who can avg closer to 26 plus yds a return.

that may not seem like much but people would be suprised how much different that would make field for our offense.......

i agree i think alridge will bring something there next year, but hall avg 23 yds a return is actually worse than we were last year.....

Comment

I don't think it's really who is returning....

Ever notice we have practically no wedge? Everyone's scattered all over the field. WEDGE IT!!
            sigpic

Comment

selvin had 2 KO returns and both went for over 30 yds. hall averaging 23 yds a return isnt pretty. i would try pittman, selvin, or hillis there. selvin may seem tentative to you but actually thats not a bad thing because you pay attention to where the holes are and then hit them, on both of selvins returns he did that and he went for 30 plus yds. alot of halls returns he gets, he doesnt look for a hole, and tries to run over people, that doesnt work. as obvious by him getting stuffed at each return. he does the same as a RB....bottom line is hall has no vision period!!!!! he just tries to rely on powering forward. thats fine and dandy sometimes at the RB position, but vision is a must have quality in a kick returner. i am not expecting a devin hester, but i am expecting some one who can avg closer to 26 plus yds a return.

that may not seem like much but people would be suprised how much different that would make field for our offense.......

i agree i think alridge will bring something there next year, but hall avg 23 yds a return is actually worse than we were last year.....
              Tell you the truth I had no idea Young's average was that high. Andre's gonna get injured with that style sooner or later. You're right what a difference having to drive 80 yards as compared to fifty or sixty .
              Those Indians could prove troublesome...General George Armstrong Custer

Comment

Originally posted by cutler7624 View Post
                I said in another thread that I don't mind Andre Hall returning kicks. It's not like we have a Devin Hester that we aren't playing. He is averaging 23 yards per kick return better than everyone on our team except Peyton Hillis.

As long as he doesn't fumble I am fine with him. If we had someone clearly better than him than I would have a problem with it. But he is doing a good enough job for me.

I think if we put Selvin back there you wouldn't see to much of a difference but it is just my opinion. The coaches wouldn't have Andre in there if he wasn't the best player for the job.

Next year I wouldn't mind seeing Anthony Alridge have a chance at kick returns, unless he has ball security issues.
                Originally posted by OrAnGe WiLk View Post

Ever notice we have practically no wedge? Everyone's scattered all over the field. WEDGE IT!!
                Both of these posts share my exact thoughts!

#1- No turn overs
                #2- Hall's probably the best option we have at the moment
                #3- Next year I can see Aldridge take over
                #4- Due to lack of speed/vision, run the dang wedge!
                " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

Comment

Glenn Martinez..

I know that he may have had a lil bit of ball security problems, but he IS the only one to actually take one to the house for us in forever (MON vs. Tennessee last season). i think that he would be MORE than adequate @ returning them.
                  Thank You theMileHighGuy!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OrAnGe WiLk View Post

thats just it, i have seen plenty of times where the wedge is there, but hall runs right into it instead of being patient and using vision. as a rb fine run through people. ON KO you have to look for lanes. and if you pay attention more than 70 % of returns for TD's are more the player making moves through lanes outside the wedge other than just the wedge blocking

im not expecting us to be great at it, and our wedge isnt great all the time, but running right into the back of the wedge trying to bowl through people just doesnt work. Selvin took that same rough wedge we use and rattled off back to back returns for over 30 yds. its all about vision. selvin has hall doesnt.............

i mean im sorry but we have a piss poor KO return avg with hall, its worse than last year right now......its something that needs to be addressed.....i would much rather start on the 35 than the 20, you would be suprised how much difference there is between an 80 yd drive and a 65 yd drive....the little things matter and build up....this is one of those little things.

Comment

The sad truth is that Quincy Morgan could help our return game today!
                      " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoBRONCOFAN View Post
                        The sad truth is that Quincy Morgan could help our return game today!
                        I never figured out why we cut him.... He was the perfect KR.

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
                          I never figured out why we cut him.... He was the perfect KR.

some people think its because he never scored, so i guess if thats the case hall better hurry up....lol

i really think selvin could do well on KO returns.

Comment

some people think its because he never scored, so i guess if thats the case hall better hurry up....lol

i really think selvin could do well on KO returns.
                            He did have some long returns....Even a 64 yarder.

Comment

Originally posted by LastBoyScout View Post
                              I know that he may have had a lil bit of ball security problems, but he IS the only one to actually take one to the house for us in forever (MON vs. Tennessee last season). i think that he would be MORE than adequate @ returning them.
                              Except that was a punt, not a kickoff. They are 2 very different animals. I don't like Glenn's chances on kickoffs (but I don't mind him on punts -- if he doesn't run into his own players). If Glenn was returning kickoffs, I'd bet it would be less than 2 games before he either fumbled and gave up a TD, or got hurt really bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X