Shanahan Upset with Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
    Get this through your head, if Thomas had not fumbled, there would have been no complaints about him running with the ball regardless of who was or wasn't in front of him. The only problem with his run back was the fact that his poor ball security allowed a fumble to happen. No fumble. No complaint.

Is that clear enough for you? Did that get through your head?
    Nope, no one did get that through their head, (add rolling eyes and other stupid smilies)...

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
      No he's not. He's RIGHT on the money. YOu can't look at one that 'worked out' and try and suggest THAT its ok to try and do MORE than your are capable of. There is a big difference from getting a fumble from the QB or blocked punt when NO one is around you, but when you find a fumble (or INT) in traffic, around a lot of players.. GO DOWN with the ball.

Thats not harsh.. thats reality. Thats what you learn as a DL in highschool. Most of the time these guys have stuff wrapped up on their hands. He was carrying that damn ball as if he thought he was some sprinter down the sidelines.... that was STUPID. GO Down with the ball. Getting the ball is the most important thing.
      So I guess Nate Webster's pick 6 was also inexcusable, because he had players around him the whole way to the endzone.

But he's a linebacker... he can make those types of plays right Shanny??

I still think it was harsh.

I mean, a friggin DT just got an interception, made a huge defensive stop and unfortunately coughed up the ball.

Then I read a report that states "Shanahan upset with Thomas" and he calls it "inexcusable" because he fumbled it???

That's going from the hero to the dog house... And that's just lame.

Even in coverage, he's not even supposed to get an INT in the first place, he's a damn DT.

Yeah call out the poor ball security all you want, but don't tell me YOU would have gotten down after picking off a pass that hardly happens at your respective DT position. It's just natural instinct... RUN FORREST RUN!!

He might have went below the belt on this one..... At least Marcus his out on the field making plays, unlike his other 2 rookie "premature busts".

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
        Yeah call out the poor ball security all you want, but don't tell me YOU would have gotten down after picking off a pass that hardly happens at your respective DT position. It's just natural instinct... RUN FORREST RUN!!
        yeh, but i'd still rather he got the basic's right and fell on the ball, rather than have a retarded Tom Hanks impersonation

Comment

Originally posted by London Bronco View Post
          yeh, but i'd still rather he got the basic's right and fell on the ball, rather than have a retarded Tom Hanks impersonation
          It's sooooooooooo EASY to critique while watching players play.... so easy.

I would have really LOVED to see what many other people here would have done in Marcus' situation.

Comment

So I guess Nate Webster's pick 6 was also inexcusable, because he had players around him the whole way to the endzone.

But he's a linebacker... he can make those types of plays right Shanny??

I still think it was harsh.

I mean, a friggin DT just got an interception, made a huge defensive stop and unfortunately coughed up the ball.

Then I read a report that states "Shanahan upset with Thomas" and he calls it "inexcusable" because he fumbled it???

That's going from the hero to the dog house... And that's just lame.

Even in coverage, he's not even supposed to get an INT in the first place, he's a damn DT.

He might have went below the belt on this one..... At least Marcus his out on the field making plays, unlike his other 2 rookie "premature busts".
            Sorry.. but you are just wrong on this one B4b6..... thats basic football.

When a DT or OL sees the ball they get on it and get DOWN, period. Thats just what you learn from Junior High on up.

LBs and CBs are in the position to grab balls and ints and actually PRACTICE catching balls for INTs.. they PRACTICE the tip drill. DL do NOT. OL do NOT practice catching balls or the tip drill. They are told to get the ball (or recover teh fumble) and GO DOWN.

Thats why the coach is PISSED about it. Thomas should KNOW to get down and hold onto the ball in a HUGE turnover like that. Of course Shanahan is PISSED... I was PISSED. I was Screaming at the TV "Go down you stupid SOB" the moment he caught the ball, because DL are NOT taught or trained to run with the ball... and are more likely to turn it over. LBs practice catching. They practice running INTs back.

It is absolutely... INEXCUSABLE .. for a DL or OL to try and gain yards if they find a fumble or an INT (or a tipped pass that goes up into the air) because they are taught to GO DOWN with the ball.

Doesn't mean he's in the doghouse.. it just means that Shanahan is going to EMPHASIZE to him that he is to GO DOWN with the ball if he gets a fumble or an INT. Let the skill players handle the ball carrying.

Comment

It's sooooooooooo EASY to critique while watching players play.... so easy.

I would have really LOVED to see what many other people here would have done in Marcus' situation.
              Dude.. you keep saying this. This isn't back yard football. This is what they DO for a living. I get pissed when playing back-yard fooball and someone grabs and INT instead of just batting down the ball on 4th down. Thats BASIC football that you are SUPPOSED to know. THOMAS knows this. He isn't new too football. If I was on the field in the NFL, I wouldn't be NEW to football. You are TRAINED and taught football smarts in this game. Its not getting together with a bunch of friends that have never been around training sessions and film days.....they just run and hope to get the ball.

Thomas knew better. .. if he didn't.. he very well SHOULD have known better... but I would bet a MILLION dollars, he knew bettter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post

It is absolutely... INEXCUSABLE .. for a DL or OL to try and gain yards if they find a fumble or an INT (or a tipped pass that goes up into the air) because they are taught to GO DOWN with the ball.
                So you weren't screaming "GET DOWN YOU SOB" to Crowder last year because he had a full field in front of him I bet, right? Even if it was all green... he's not supposed to do it, because he COULD get caught from behind. (Remember Rod Smith catching Julius Peppers??)

I bet you were also screaming that to Nate Webster too right?

I wonder if Lion fans last year were screaming at Shaun Rodgers for running the INT back to the endzone, where he eventually scored against us.

I wonder if Giant fans got mad at Justin Tuck for also tacking a pick 6 back for a TD a couple weeks ago.

I just think some of you including Shanahan are being a little too harsh. Shanahan states SOOO many times in his interview, guys are trying to make plays... guys are trying to make a play... we need to make some plays.

Marcus Thomas made a HUGE play, and was trying to add on to it. In high school, he did play FB and ran the ball... so it's not like he has or lost ALL of his skills.. I'm sure he's ran with a football a few times in his career.

I really wonder what is MORE likely to happen?

Getting an INT and turning it over on the return... or getting an INT, and having your offense turn it over during their next series?

Comment

I guess Tim Crowder should have just fallen flat on the ball last year, instead of taking it back for 6.

Bingo, I was just gonna bring that up. I somehow doubt that Shanny gave him the same grief. ...Oh, well, it was for a TD? OK, then. Keep up the good work.

Double standard???

sigpic
                  They're your teammates, now.
                  Best of luck, TT!
                  ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

So you weren't screaming "GET DOWN YOU SOB" to Crowder last year because he had a full field in front of him I bet, right? Even if it was all green... he's not supposed to do it, because he COULD get caught from behind. (Remember Rod Smith catching Julius Peppers??)

I bet you were also screaming that to Nate Webster too right?

I wonder if Lion fans last year were screaming at Shaun Rodgers for running the INT back to the endzone, where he eventually scored against us.

I wonder if Giant fans got mad at Justin Tuck for also tacking a pick 6 back for a TD a couple weeks ago.

I just think some of you including Shanahan are being a little too harsh. Shanahan states SOOO many times in his interview, guys are trying to make plays... guys are trying to make a play... we need to make some plays.

Marcus Thomas made a HUGE play, and was trying to add on to it. In high school, he did play FB and ran the ball... so it's not like he has or lost ALL of his skills.. I'm sure he's ran with a football a few times in his career.

I really wonder what is MORE likely to happen?

Getting an INT and turning it over on the return... or getting an INT, and having your offense turn it over during their next series?
                    in all those cases you just mention was half the offense still in between the defender and the endzone??? all those guys had free paths to the endzone except nate webster and he had blockers and it was at the start of the game when plays NEEDS to be made....no play NEEDED to be made by thomas it had already been made with the interception

Comment

Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
                      in all those cases you just mention was half the offense still in between the defender and the endzone??? all those guys had free paths to the endzone except nate webster and he had blockers and it was at the start of the game when plays NEEDS to be made....no play NEEDED to be made by thomas it had already been made with the interception
                      Actually no..

Rodgers, Tuck, and Webster did not have clear paths to the end zone.

Comment

we keep hearing about all these other players who "took it for 6" bla, bla, but come on lets face it the poster above put it nicely and has wrapped up the thread with comment about a "play had already been made" no need to run like Tom Hanks lol

Comment

Actually no..

Rodgers, Tuck, and Webster did not have clear paths to the end zone.
                          wasnt rodgers fumble return when they game was outta hand already ???? we were getting destroyed...tuck is a beast the dude is a physical freak and yes he did have an open path into the nedzone go watch the replay and i just broke it down for you about nate webster it was at the beginning of agame when plays NEED to be made no play NEEDED to be made by thomas it har already been made by the interception

Comment

Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
                            Ouch, that's last part has gotta hurt. Poor Marcus
                            DAMN, MIKE. Take it easy. Don't forget he still made a nice INT. Give him a little credit.
                            President Cool

Comment

Fine, I concede. I'm WRONG!!

Comment

Damn big guy you should GO TO THE GROUND

an idiotic move. YOU AREN'T A RUNNING BACK!!

stupid Marcus I like ya though

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Working...
                                X