Shanahan Upset with Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
    Statistically what % the defense turns the ball over when they have the ball, compared to statistically the % that the offense turns over the ball on their next series AFTER their team forced a takeaway.

So would Marcus Thomas (or any other defensive player) giveaway the ball while returning the takeaway (Marcus Thomas), or would the offense (Cutler or etc) have a greater % of turning it over AFTER his team created the takeaway on the next possesion.

Weird, but curious.

I can't really see a defensive takeaway resulting in another turnover happening MORE than the offense turning the ball over during their next series after their teams takeaway.
    thats because the offense has the ball in their hands 60X the number of times a defensive player has the ball. Another reason the defensive lineman goes DOWN when he gets that turnover (or fumble) in traffic, because they don't PRACTICE having the ball, running with the ball, carrying the ball, or catching the ball. When it happens, its a bonus to just GET the ball... thus giving it to the people that PRACTICE the skills with the ball.

Shanahan wouldn't have given him so much crap if he didn't know that Thomas SHOULD know better.... and he should.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Hyde View Post
      Actually, yes, there is a double standard. In one situation the play is successful, in the other it isn't. Happens all the time.

How many times do CB's screw up their coverage assignment? Tons. If their guy catches the ball when they screw up, they get ridiculed, they their guy doesn't get thrown to, we don't even notice. That's football.

The biggest problem with that play was it was 3rd down. A stop meant they had to punt. By intercepting it, then fumbling he not only gave them the ball back, he gave them a new set of downs. It was a stupid mistake. He should have held onto the ball and gone down as soon as contact was imminent. I don't care how entertaining a pick 6 would have been, it's not his job.
      welll said....

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
        thats because the offense has the ball in their hands 60X the number of times a defensive player has the ball. Another reason the defensive lineman goes DOWN when he gets that turnover (or fumble) in traffic, because they don't PRACTICE having the ball, running with the ball, carrying the ball, or catching the ball. When it happens, its a bonus to just GET the ball... thus giving it to the people that PRACTICE the skills with the ball.

Shanahan wouldn't have given him so much crap if he didn't know that Thomas SHOULD know better.... and he should.
        I think I'm just going to quit talking now....

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
          I think I'm just going to quit talking now....
          I think we've pretty much run this one into the ground

Comment

Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
            Ouch, that's last part has gotta hurt. Poor Marcus
            Yeah, it was a dumb play...but don't kid yourself, Shanny is smiling about the athletic play the kid made to begin with...and it was a play that would have normally sealed the game.

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
              Get this through your head, if Thomas had not fumbled, there would have been no complaints about him running with the ball regardless of who was or wasn't in front of him. The only problem with his run back was the fact that his poor ball security allowed a fumble to happen. No fumble. No complaint.

Is that clear enough for you? Did that get through your head?
              It happened in a Preseason game this year.... I don't remember who it was but a Lineman got their head chewed off when they tried to pick up the ball and run.

Comment

Warning to Thomas

The thing on the left, thats Shanny's dog house.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

why don't we just leave it he got the INT ok he fumbled but in the end we won the game he has had Shanahan having a chat with him about what he should do. Hopfully this will be the kick up the backside that he has been needing all year so far for him to get into his head that he can make plays that other DT could only imagine doing for example when Thomas came here last year the kid could do a backfilp when he his 300+ pounds that is major agility even for someone who is around the 200 pound mark.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyBronco View Post
                    Warning to Thomas

The thing on the left, thats Shanny's dog house.
                    Hurry go into another gear!!! Faster Faster!!!
                    Official Knowshon Rockwell Moreno Fan Club Member #10

Creator of the smiley

Comment

Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
                      Ouch, that's last part has gotta hurt. Poor Marcus
                      Any time a "non-skill" player tries to advance the football it scares a coach to death. From age 5 on we teach them to FALL ON THE FOOTBALL..lol

Comment

Originally posted by lolad View Post
                        It happened in a Preseason game this year.... I don't remember who it was but a Lineman got their head chewed off when they tried to pick up the ball and run.

Any time any player picks up a fumble rather than fall on it they've done something wrong. But, as long as they secure the ball and don't end up giving the ball back to the other team, the coach isn't calling them out in the media. If Thomas doesn't fumble, he doesn't get called out in the media. Whatever the coaches say to him on the sideline is a separate matter. Without a fumble this thread doesn't exist. There wouldn't be a bunch of chuckle heads talking about how Thomas should have just gone down, even though those same chuckle heads didn't start any threads last year after Crowder returned a fumble for a touchdown saying that he was stupid for doing it. Thomas did what just about anyone in his situation would have done. It was an interception not a fumble recovery. He was on his feet and obviously had some room to run. The problem wasn't running with the ball. The problem was a lack of ball security.

Coaches might teach linemen to go down when they get the ball, but it's difficult to expect an NFL player to not try to score or at least advance the ball when the opportunity arises. There are going to be some linemen that want to take advantage of the opportunity to shine when they get it. Some of them actually have the athletic ability to do it when they get the chance. Thomas is probably one of those linemen that can get somewhere whenever the opportunity pops up. That's not to say that he should be moved to offense, but why complain when he tries to make something happen? The complaint shouldn't be that he ran with the ball. The complaint should be that he didn't properly secure the ball and ended up fumbling because of that. Running with the ball didn't cause the fumble. His lack of ball security allowed a Tamp Bay player to cause the fumble.

I don't mind fans complaining, but why complain about the wrong thing? Why should we care what player it is that's running with ball? As long as it's a Bronco, what does it matter? As long as he doesn't fumble, what does it matter?

How many of Thomas' teammates signaled for him to go down immediately? Did any of them do that or did they immediately start throwing blocks for him? Perhaps he was being encouraged by his teammates to run with the ball. How many players would not run in that situation?
                        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                        You Mad Bro?
                        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                          Coaches might teach linemen to go down when they get the ball, but it's difficult to expect an NFL player to not try to score or at least advance the ball when the opportunity arises.
                          Well let this 'chuckle head' tell you that its EASY to expect a PROFESSIONAL football player to do the smart thing during a HUGE play for the team. I EXPECT professional WRs and RBs to KNOW to get out-of-bounds when the clock is ticking down. I EXPECT them to know NOT to go out of bounds when we want the clock to run. I EXPECT the QB to know to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack. I EXPECT these professional players to know that they can't pitch/lateral the ball forward once past the LoS. So WHY would any "Chuckle head" Expect a professional football player to know that if you are a DL and get an INT.. to GO DOWN instead of trying to actually move the ball forward through players? Because its SMART football.. which is what I EXPECT from professional football players. The SAME expectations that Mike Shanahan has from his players, and WHY he made the comment about it.

That's not to say that he should be moved to offense, but why complain when he tries to make something happen?
                          Because it was dumb.

The complaint shouldn't be that he ran with the ball. The complaint should be that he didn't properly secure the ball and ended up fumbling because of that. Running with the ball didn't cause the fumble. His lack of ball security allowed a Tamp Bay player to cause the fumble.
                          No crap? Thats the same thing that causes EVERY fumble..and why people complained about the fumbles by Marshall and Royal during the Chiefs game. But those guys play inthe skill positions and PRACTICE ball security and carrying the ball..... while DL don't. Why would I expect a DL to know how to run through other players with the ball, and know how to secure the ball when its not something they actually practice?? I wouldn't. I don't expect a fat DL to know how to run with the ball, thus why I would expect him to go down with it.
                          I don't mind fans complaining, but why complain about the wrong thing? Why should we care what player it is that's running with ball? As long as it's a Bronco, what does it matter? As long as he doesn't fumble, what does it matter?
                          Because either way.. it was a dumb move. Just because a player gets away with it, doesn't make it any less dumb. It just means less emphasis is played on it. Isn't that the case with EVERY dumb move made in life?

People can drive 140mph down the highway and laugh about it if everything is ok... but its REALLY REALLLy dumb when they crash that car going that fast. Dumb things are always over-looked as long as they 'turn out' alright..... but those dumb things wouldn't be considered DUMB if they didn't have a negative side that is WORSE than the positive side.

Thats what makes ANY choice a right choice or a dumb choice. The dumb-choices are the ones that have a negative aspect that is WORSE than anything gained. Sure going 140mph down the highway may be fun and get you to your destination faster, but crashing at 140mph is a LOT worse than the extra time spent driving at safer speeds. Don't justify STUPID behavior because 'sometimes' they turn out alright. The decision is still dumb.

Desean Jackson dropped the ball before getting INTO the endzone after taking a ball long for the Eagles. That was DUMB...but he got away with it because the eagles still scored. But if the Eagles didn't score, how EMPHASIZED do you suppose that drop would have been? Dumb choice, but things turned out ok. How many times have we seen players 'pitch' a ball to another player? Its a great 'heads-up' play when it works, but its really DUMB when it drops to the ground as a fumble. The smart thing is to ALWAYS take the gain you had and KEEP the ball rather than trying for the risky pitch. If you are losing and need a play, its effort. If you are WINNING and trying to keep that win, its REALLY dumb.

How many players would not run in that situation?
                          The smart ones.

Comment

All he has to do is put two hands on it. Anyways, I like the zone blitz. I hope to see more of it against Gerrard.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                              All he has to do is put two hands on it. Anyways, I like the zone blitz. I hope to see more of it against Gerrard.
                              I think we might regular blitz abit more to take out Taylor and Jones-Drew because with them out of the game thats most of there offence gone. We will see the zone blitz in the game but probley less then what was in the Tampa game.

Comment

Originally posted by 15thebeast View Post
                                I think we might regular blitz abit more to take out Taylor and Jones-Drew because with them out of the game thats most of there offence gone. We will see the zone blitz in the game but probley less then what was in the Tampa game.
                                Yeah, they will probably be more conventional, and try to limit Taylor. If we get them into a passing situation, we should see it. Gerrard is a scrambler who usually takes what's there, and that's a good way to force him into making bad decisions. I was watching some guys break down Baltimore the other day, and I couldn't believe some of the packages they put together against the Steelers. It wasn't just show and go either. They did something different every time, and the players executed flawlessly. I'd like to see Slowik adopt some of that. I love watching that defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X