Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of Lava
    replied
    If he hadnt fumbled, he wouldnt have been reprimanded.

There's nothing wrong with what he tried to do, it was pure instinct.

How many times has a WR stayed in bounds trying to make a play instead of running out of bounds to stop the clock?

How many times has a hail mary pass been intercepted?

Or a 4th down pass?

After the play its easy to say "he should have just knocked it down"

It takes a higher level of awareness to NOT do what you instinctively do in a given situation.

Marcus didnt have that higher level awareness, its ok he's young.

Leave a comment:

• Chidoze
    replied
    Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
    So?

Crowder showed that he was accelerating away from the players.

Shanahan is a little harsh, even if it was a joke of a sentence.
    I think he's just saying that there's a difference between the two plays, one had open field to the endzone and the other had half of the offense ahead of him.

I dont agree with Shanahan though, if a D-lineman gets the ball....hall ass and try and make a play, but make sure you protect the ball in doing so.

That's what Shanahan should have emphasized on for that situation, ball protection.
    Last edited by Chidoze; 10-09-2008, 04:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sbutk
    replied
    Thanks.

But they did have very valid points.... Mine were just a little outside of the box.

I kept trying to point out the point of "caught in the moment, and he wanted to return it"... but yes he SHOULD have dropped to the ground, especially with the amount of time in the game that was left.

But thanks! :thumb:

C'est la vie. I'm probably in the minority with that thinking.

Leave a comment:

• Peerless
    replied
    Originally posted by sbutk View Post
    Some of the self-proclaimed gridiron gurus in this thread could stand to get off their high horses, IMO. I see nothing wrong with your argument(s).

Thanks.

But they did have very valid points.... Mine were just a little outside of the box.

I kept trying to point out the point of "caught in the moment, and he wanted to return it"... but yes he SHOULD have dropped to the ground, especially with the amount of time in the game that was left.

But thanks! :thumb:

Leave a comment:

• sbutk
    replied
    Fine, I concede. I'm WRONG!!

Some of the self-proclaimed gridiron gurus in this thread could stand to get off their high horses, IMO. I see nothing wrong with your argument(s).

Leave a comment:

• Murph2432
    replied
    Okay i didnt see the INT and if someone knows where i can see the video that be great thank you! Now about Thomas INt! I dont think there is anything wrong about trying to run with the ball after the int. If the man scored a TD we would be praising about how its a good move. The man wasnt that far from the endzone, why not take a shot at it. So what, he made a mistake by fumbling it but it didnt cause any harm anyways. Im pretty sure they end up punting once they got the ball back. Now if i am missing a part of the story please let me know. I didnt see the video!! PLease send it to me!!

Leave a comment:

• Spice 1
    replied
    Originally posted by 15thebeast View Post
    I think we might regular blitz abit more to take out Taylor and Jones-Drew because with them out of the game thats most of there offence gone. We will see the zone blitz in the game but probley less then what was in the Tampa game.
    Yeah, they will probably be more conventional, and try to limit Taylor. If we get them into a passing situation, we should see it. Gerrard is a scrambler who usually takes what's there, and that's a good way to force him into making bad decisions. I was watching some guys break down Baltimore the other day, and I couldn't believe some of the packages they put together against the Steelers. It wasn't just show and go either. They did something different every time, and the players executed flawlessly. I'd like to see Slowik adopt some of that. I love watching that defense.

Leave a comment:

• 15thebeast
    replied
    Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
    All he has to do is put two hands on it. Anyways, I like the zone blitz. I hope to see more of it against Gerrard.
    I think we might regular blitz abit more to take out Taylor and Jones-Drew because with them out of the game thats most of there offence gone. We will see the zone blitz in the game but probley less then what was in the Tampa game.

Leave a comment:

• Spice 1
    replied
    All he has to do is put two hands on it. Anyways, I like the zone blitz. I hope to see more of it against Gerrard.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolee View Post
    Coaches might teach linemen to go down when they get the ball, but it's difficult to expect an NFL player to not try to score or at least advance the ball when the opportunity arises.
    Well let this 'chuckle head' tell you that its EASY to expect a PROFESSIONAL football player to do the smart thing during a HUGE play for the team. I EXPECT professional WRs and RBs to KNOW to get out-of-bounds when the clock is ticking down. I EXPECT them to know NOT to go out of bounds when we want the clock to run. I EXPECT the QB to know to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack. I EXPECT these professional players to know that they can't pitch/lateral the ball forward once past the LoS. So WHY would any "Chuckle head" Expect a professional football player to know that if you are a DL and get an INT.. to GO DOWN instead of trying to actually move the ball forward through players? Because its SMART football.. which is what I EXPECT from professional football players. The SAME expectations that Mike Shanahan has from his players, and WHY he made the comment about it.

That's not to say that he should be moved to offense, but why complain when he tries to make something happen?
    Because it was dumb.

The complaint shouldn't be that he ran with the ball. The complaint should be that he didn't properly secure the ball and ended up fumbling because of that. Running with the ball didn't cause the fumble. His lack of ball security allowed a Tamp Bay player to cause the fumble.
    No crap? Thats the same thing that causes EVERY fumble..and why people complained about the fumbles by Marshall and Royal during the Chiefs game. But those guys play inthe skill positions and PRACTICE ball security and carrying the ball..... while DL don't. Why would I expect a DL to know how to run through other players with the ball, and know how to secure the ball when its not something they actually practice?? I wouldn't. I don't expect a fat DL to know how to run with the ball, thus why I would expect him to go down with it.
    I don't mind fans complaining, but why complain about the wrong thing? Why should we care what player it is that's running with ball? As long as it's a Bronco, what does it matter? As long as he doesn't fumble, what does it matter?
    Because either way.. it was a dumb move. Just because a player gets away with it, doesn't make it any less dumb. It just means less emphasis is played on it. Isn't that the case with EVERY dumb move made in life?

People can drive 140mph down the highway and laugh about it if everything is ok... but its REALLY REALLLy dumb when they crash that car going that fast. Dumb things are always over-looked as long as they 'turn out' alright..... but those dumb things wouldn't be considered DUMB if they didn't have a negative side that is WORSE than the positive side.

Thats what makes ANY choice a right choice or a dumb choice. The dumb-choices are the ones that have a negative aspect that is WORSE than anything gained. Sure going 140mph down the highway may be fun and get you to your destination faster, but crashing at 140mph is a LOT worse than the extra time spent driving at safer speeds. Don't justify STUPID behavior because 'sometimes' they turn out alright. The decision is still dumb.

Desean Jackson dropped the ball before getting INTO the endzone after taking a ball long for the Eagles. That was DUMB...but he got away with it because the eagles still scored. But if the Eagles didn't score, how EMPHASIZED do you suppose that drop would have been? Dumb choice, but things turned out ok. How many times have we seen players 'pitch' a ball to another player? Its a great 'heads-up' play when it works, but its really DUMB when it drops to the ground as a fumble. The smart thing is to ALWAYS take the gain you had and KEEP the ball rather than trying for the risky pitch. If you are losing and need a play, its effort. If you are WINNING and trying to keep that win, its REALLY dumb.

How many players would not run in that situation?
    The smart ones.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Originally posted by lolad View Post
    It happened in a Preseason game this year.... I don't remember who it was but a Lineman got their head chewed off when they tried to pick up the ball and run.

Any time any player picks up a fumble rather than fall on it they've done something wrong. But, as long as they secure the ball and don't end up giving the ball back to the other team, the coach isn't calling them out in the media. If Thomas doesn't fumble, he doesn't get called out in the media. Whatever the coaches say to him on the sideline is a separate matter. Without a fumble this thread doesn't exist. There wouldn't be a bunch of chuckle heads talking about how Thomas should have just gone down, even though those same chuckle heads didn't start any threads last year after Crowder returned a fumble for a touchdown saying that he was stupid for doing it. Thomas did what just about anyone in his situation would have done. It was an interception not a fumble recovery. He was on his feet and obviously had some room to run. The problem wasn't running with the ball. The problem was a lack of ball security.

Coaches might teach linemen to go down when they get the ball, but it's difficult to expect an NFL player to not try to score or at least advance the ball when the opportunity arises. There are going to be some linemen that want to take advantage of the opportunity to shine when they get it. Some of them actually have the athletic ability to do it when they get the chance. Thomas is probably one of those linemen that can get somewhere whenever the opportunity pops up. That's not to say that he should be moved to offense, but why complain when he tries to make something happen? The complaint shouldn't be that he ran with the ball. The complaint should be that he didn't properly secure the ball and ended up fumbling because of that. Running with the ball didn't cause the fumble. His lack of ball security allowed a Tamp Bay player to cause the fumble.

I don't mind fans complaining, but why complain about the wrong thing? Why should we care what player it is that's running with ball? As long as it's a Bronco, what does it matter? As long as he doesn't fumble, what does it matter?

How many of Thomas' teammates signaled for him to go down immediately? Did any of them do that or did they immediately start throwing blocks for him? Perhaps he was being encouraged by his teammates to run with the ball. How many players would not run in that situation?

Leave a comment:

• knoxman36and2
    replied
    Originally posted by mx_stiles13 View Post
    Ouch, that's last part has gotta hurt. Poor Marcus
    Any time a "non-skill" player tries to advance the football it scares a coach to death. From age 5 on we teach them to FALL ON THE FOOTBALL..lol

Leave a comment:

• Silent-Assassin
    replied
    Originally posted by SlyBronco View Post
    Warning to Thomas

The thing on the left, thats Shanny's dog house.
    Hurry go into another gear!!! Faster Faster!!!

Leave a comment:

• 15thebeast
    replied
    why don't we just leave it he got the INT ok he fumbled but in the end we won the game he has had Shanahan having a chat with him about what he should do. Hopfully this will be the kick up the backside that he has been needing all year so far for him to get into his head that he can make plays that other DT could only imagine doing for example when Thomas came here last year the kid could do a backfilp when he his 300+ pounds that is major agility even for someone who is around the 200 pound mark.

Leave a comment:

• SlyBronco
    replied
    Warning to Thomas

The thing on the left, thats Shanny's dog house.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X