Defensive INT's a Cause for Concern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive INT's a Cause for Concern?

My buddy and I had a little argument, and I need help to see what you guys think. He says that it's a concern that all of our Defensive Backs combined only have 1 INT through 5 games. Dre Bly has zero INT's and Champ had that controversial "interception".

I don't think that it's a huge concern, but I would like more turnovers by our defense. So is it a concern that our safeties and cornerbacks together have 1 INT combined?

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

aren't you forgetting Marcus Thomas last week??

I think it's a concern, but not a worry yet. I would definitely like to see more INTs

EDIT: Nevermind, you said D Backs, not linemen.

Comment

It might be a concern if we were getting a consistent pass rush, but before the Bucs game there was little to no pass rush.

The more pass rush = the more hurried a QB is = bad decisions = interceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Hyde View Post
        aren't you forgetting Marcus Thomas last week??

I think it's a concern, but not a worry yet. I would definitely like to see more INTs

EDIT: Nevermind, you said D Backs, not linemen.
        Last I checked Marcus Thomas isn't a DB. He is a DL. And yes it is cause for concern. For a defense to be real good it helps to force turnovers. It is hard to be a consistently good team when the only turnovers are from our offense. If we lose the turnover battle every week it'll be hard to keep on a winning pace. But hopefully if we continue to see some of the new packages from last week our defense will start coming through
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
          Last I checked Marcus Thomas isn't a DB. He is a DL. And yes it is cause for concern. For a defense to be real good it helps to force turnovers. It is hard to be a consistently good team when the only turnovers are from our offense. If we lose the turnover battle every week it'll be hard to keep on a winning pace. But hopefully if we continue to see some of the new packages from last week our defense will start coming through
          Don't get too mad. He corrected himself.

I would for sure like to see more INTs. I mean, some teams are getting multiple picks a game. Some DBs, even, like Finnigan. And here we are with 2 team picks. Not good numbers.

I agree that it is more the fault of the DLine than the DBs, but still. With some turnovers, these close games wouldn't be so close.

Comment

Originally posted by Shutdown View Post
            Don't get too mad. He corrected himself.

I would for sure like to see more INTs. I mean, some teams are getting multiple picks a game. Some DBs, even, like Finnigan. And here we are with 2 team picks. Not good numbers.

I agree that it is more the fault of the DLine than the DBs, but still. With some turnovers, these close games wouldn't be so close.
            My mistake. I didn't see the Edit line. But you can't blame the DB's when a qaurterback has 7-8 seconds to find an open receiver. Bailey and Bly cant' run around all day. My dad pointed out last week how even the sacks we managed to get were coverage sacks. This means the DB's actuall were doing a phenominal job and after 6 seconds the dline finally found griese. The Dline definitely still needs to improve
            sigpic

Comment

well the defense has come up with quite a few TO's i dont care if they are INT's or Fumbles!

Chargers game - Champ Bailey's INT (Not Controversial)

Saints game - John Engelberger forced Fumble, picked up by LB that got taken to the house!

Chiefs game-- Champ Bailey forced fumble on Larry Johnson! Recovered by Defense!

Tampa - Marcus INT

All four of those came with in 10 yards of the LOS so that tells me they arent throwing deep against us, they are dunking and Dinking and so as far as the INT not being thier well it could be because they arent airing out by our CB's and Safeties and when they do air it out it just turns out that it is good ball placement. Thats just what i have noticed.
              Last edited by BroncosRockdaRockies; 10-09-2008, 10:18 AM. Reason: taken instead of talen rymes with Nalen!

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosRockdaRockies View Post
                well the defense has come up with quite a few TO's i dont care if they are INT's or Fumbles!

Saints game - John Engelberger forced Fumble, picked up by LB that got taken to the house!

Chiefs game-- Champ Bailey forced fumble on Larry Johnson! Recovered by Defense!

Tampa - Marcus INT

All four of those came with in 10 yards of the LOS so that tells me they arent throwing deep against us, they are dunking and Dinking and so as far as the INT not being thier well it could be because they arent airing out by our CB's and Safeties and when they do air it out it just turns out that it is good ball placement. Thats just what i have noticed.

Well your also forgetting the jamarcus russel fumble in week 1 except that he fumbled that without us causing it. But how does that compare to us turning it over 4 times alone against the chiefs. Our turnover ratio is -3 which is 23rd in the NFL. So my point is that if this continues we won't keep pulling out W's. Now I'm not putting all the blame on the D. The offense could definitely quit giving away stupid turnovers as well
                sigpic

Comment

The KC game was a fluke.

Marshall's fumble should have been avoided. I love how he tries to get an extra few yards, but sometimes you just need to go down because there is no way.
                  Royal . . . could have been avoided, but I really don't blame him for not seeing the guy behind him.
                  Long INT was completely avoidable by throwing to a wide open Scheffler, but the TB game showed that Cutler is learning how to check down.
                  Short INT . . . a mistake, but I'm not too worried about it.

Point is, that's not going to happen again. We'll have a better idea after Jax how much the defense has really improved, and I expect we'll have less TO's on offense too.

So like I said, we should be concerned . . . or attentive to the situation, but not worried about it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Hyde View Post
                    The KC game was a fluke.

Marshall's fumble should have been avoided. I love how he tries to get an extra few yards, but sometimes you just need to go down because there is no way.
                    Royal . . . could have been avoided, but I really don't blame him for not seeing the guy behind him.
                    Long INT was completely avoidable by throwing to a wide open Scheffler, but the TB game showed that Cutler is learning how to check down.
                    Short INT . . . a mistake, but I'm not too worried about it.

Point is, that's not going to happen again. We'll have a better idea after Jax how much the defense has really improved, and I expect we'll have less TO's on offense too.

So like I said, we should be concerned . . . or attentive to the situation, but not worried about it yet.
                    How can you say the stupid turnovers wont happen again? You don't know that. This isnt' the first time Cutler has thrown stupid picks trying to force something in. He did it late in the game against the chargers in the end zone. Bone headed turnovers seem to be stuck to this team so far this year. But yes I agree that the jacksonville game is truly how we will find out how good we are. Limit offensive mistakes and limit the big play when we are on D.

p.s. On Marshalls fumble it was stupid of shanahan to line him up at RB. Did the chiefs really think we would do something else than hand off to him?
                    sigpic

Comment

Yes and no. I'm a little miffed as to why we very rarely ever tip balls...which is where most int's come from. With that said, our defense has faced two different offenses this season. SD/NO and KC/TB the first two being passing teams with the last two being running teams. Hopefully with our improved pass rush over the last two weeks we can get some int's. Maybe having the 6'6" Moss lurking around he can tip a few up for us?
                      " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
                        It might be a concern if we were getting a consistent pass rush, but before the Bucs game there was little to no pass rush.

I understand that, but then why didn't any of our DB's pick off either Brian Griese or Jeff Garcia with all the pressure our line was putting?

I'm sorry, but I might change my position to being a little bit concerned if one of our DB's doesnt step up and pick off Garrard this weekend

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosRockdaRockies View Post

Tampa - Marcus INT

i don't care if you don't care if they are INT's or fumbles...my point of thread was to focus on the INT's by our D-backs...and yeah they are airing it out on our defense, that's why we were ranked near the bottom in pass defense. Duh!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoBRONCOFAN View Post
                            Yes and no. I'm a little miffed as to why we very rarely ever tip balls...which is where most int's come from. With that said, our defense has faced two different offenses this season. SD/NO and KC/TB the first two being passing teams with the last two being running teams. Hopefully with our improved pass rush over the last two weeks we can get some int's. Maybe having the 6'6" Moss lurking around he can tip a few up for us?
                            we have no speed at the safety position anymore without Abdullah so I don't expect many safety INT's this season, speed helps a great deal when intercepting QB's, and we lack youth and speed at the safety position. if you ask me, the problem is with our safeties, in particular Marquand Manuel

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post

:clap:

One reason we're not getting interceptions is because of our bad pass rush. I kinda hope Shanahan does trade for a DE before the trade deadline. I don't know if I want Leanord Little, but we do need something.

Comment

Working...
                              X