Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defensive INT's a Cause for Concern?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by CaptainBly View Post
    :clap:

    One reason we're not getting interceptions is because of our bad pass rush. I kinda hope Shanahan does trade for a DE before the trade deadline. I don't know if I want Leanord Little, but we do need something.
    or maybe throwing Moss at outside LB in the 3-4 during passing situations would allow us an explosive pass rush b/c Moss will have more space to work in and the matchups might favor Moss to bring on some great pressure

    "News flash

    Shanahan floated the idea earlier this week of playing defensive end Jarvis Moss at outside linebacker some of the time when the Broncos play their 3-4 look on defense, but the idea appeared to surprise Moss.

    "I know nothing about that," Moss said Wednesday. "I haven't heard from the coaches or anything on that one."

    Moss, who was the Broncos' first-round pick - 17th overall - in the 2007 draft, has been a game-day inactive three times this season, including Sunday against the Buccaneers.

    Listed at 265 pounds, Moss has struggled at times against bigger offensive tackles and has five tackles in limited duty. Shanahan described him Monday as being "in that 240 (pound) range."

    "Whatever the coaches want me to do, I'll do, 110 percent," Moss said. "I'll do it."


    sigpic


    FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor



    :cool:

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
      I understand that, but then why didn't any of our DB's pick off either Brian Griese or Jeff Garcia with all the pressure our line was putting?

      I'm sorry, but I might change my position to being a little bit concerned if one of our DB's doesnt step up and pick off Garrard this weekend

      Well for one thing, up until their very last drive the receivers were hardly getting any balls thrown there way.

      Did you see the top 3 tacklers on the team? DJ, Boss, and Nate....

      All of their passes were underneath... and as you could see the linebackers had a much busier day then the secondary.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
        Well for one thing, up until their very last drive the receivers were hardly getting any balls thrown there way.

        Did you see the top 3 tacklers on the team? DJ, Boss, and Nate....

        All of their passes were underneath... and as you could see the linebackers had a much busier day then the secondary.
        that's true, there was a lot of underneath throwing, but that doesn't mean that it's okay that our DB's combine for 1 freakin interception this season. I'm not ready to freak out because it's still earlier, but still I have my eye on our DB's, especially our two speed deprived, old safeties


        sigpic


        FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor



        :cool:

        Comment


        • #19
          The reason you don't see any tip drills with us is that the tip drill works in a zone scheme where the is pressure on the qb to force the qb to not be able to throw perfectly between the zone. His throw might be a little off allowing a lb to reach out and tip it up or a safety. In Denver there is no such thing as a pass rush so the qb has all day to wait for the receiver to plant down in between the zone. Also I never see our safeties within 5 yards of a receiver down field on toss ups. As for Garrard he is a very efficient qb who does not throw alot of int's. So I don't see why there would be cause for concern if we dont' pick him off.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
            that's true, there was a lot of underneath throwing, but that doesn't mean that it's okay that our DB's combine for 1 freakin interception this season. I'm not ready to freak out because it's still earlier, but still I have my eye on our DB's, especially our two speed deprived, old safeties
            Well.... It's not their fault. You can't cover a guy for 6 seconds and expect to get many picks.

            Hopefully the Tampa game was a turning point for our pass rush....

            For our sake, and the defenses sake... it had better be.

            Comment


            • #21
              If speed was the solution than Paymah would be starting somewhere on the defense.
              " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

              Comment


              • #22
                When there is NO pass rush it isnt hard to pick apart a secondary no matter how strong it may be..you can't expect corners and safties to be in the jock of an NFL receiver for that long. But pass rushing aside interceptions can also fall on the style of defense that is being run. The Broncos are often in a straight man coverage, more so than quite a few teams out there, and I rarely see them double down receivers so often times our corners are left on an 'island' by themeselves. This becomes a tough task to expect a corner to get int's. The perfect example of a big-name secondary lacking interceptions is in Dallas where this past weekend they got their first int of the season after a drought that dated back to Week 16 of last year! This same Dallas team runs similar man coverages and has three Pro-Bowlers in their secondary..stuff to think about
                Last edited by LemonGroveKids; 10-09-2008, 12:34 PM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                  I understand that, but then why didn't any of our DB's pick off either Brian Griese or Jeff Garcia with all the pressure our line was putting?

                  I'm sorry, but I might change my position to being a little bit concerned if one of our DB's doesnt step up and pick off Garrard this weekend
                  I have to agree that it is a concern when our Db's arent getting any INT's. Sure a lot of it can be blamed on an inconsistent or nonexistent passrush but I'm not seeing us playing as aggressively at the DB positions as I have seen in the past. We are leaving too much cushion at the line of scrimmage in a lot of cases and not bumping or disrupting the pass routes. Thats another reason we are seeing short passes that are nickel and diming us to death. Someone else stated we arent even getting any tipped balls from our line or LBs which unless my memory is completely shot (possible) is also the case.

                  Plain and simple this is just not a super aggressive defensive team. We are doing better as of last week and hopefully will continue to improve but our offense has to seriously limit giving up the ball because I don't see us winning the turnover battle if we give it up more than once a game.

                  It's been obvious all year long where our strength is and thats when the ball is in our hands. Knowing that we arent a Ravens, Titans, or even Steelers Defensive team coming into the season it shouldnt be too freaky or worrying to know that we need to be strong on offense and then play the best ball we can on defense. I still like our chances of moving into the post season this year and I'm still seeing the coaches trying new things on defense in personell, positioning, and schemes so I'm not panicking about the D yet. If we can continue to win games heading into November and our defense finds its comfort zone by then it should make for a strong run. Go Broncs

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
                    Well.... It's not their fault. You can't cover a guy for 6 seconds and expect to get many picks.

                    Hopefully the Tampa game was a turning point for our pass rush....

                    For our sake, and the defenses sake... it had better be.
                    amen to that B4


                    sigpic


                    FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor



                    :cool:

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      The pass rush truly hurts our chances of getting INTs, but there are other details which also contribute. The safeties are slow, so it is hard for them to even be around the ball. The MLB is weak against the pass, if you watch solid MLBs they get 3+ INT per season dropping back to cover the pass. CBs are not playing as well as they should, with or without pass rush.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        lets hope that Champ or Dre' can pick off JAX, their offense has been pretty woeful lately


                        sigpic


                        FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor



                        :cool:

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          my level of concern has raised to a much higher level. Last weeks defensive display was a fluke


                          sigpic


                          FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor



                          :cool:

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            yeah i seriously miss the old days when champ had over 5 ints a season and before then when we had o neal. aw well, who knows, maybe we'll get some kinda record like "the team whos leading intercepter is a DT for the longest period of time or something.
                            disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
                              yeah i seriously miss the old days when champ had over 5 ints a season and before then when we had o neal. aw well, who knows, maybe we'll get some kinda record like "the team whos leading intercepter is a DT for the longest period of time or something.
                              That, would be sad as hell.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X