Peyton Hillis: Current role on offense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peyton Hillis: Current role on offense

When the Broncos drafted Peyton Hillis, we were told he was a great FB for Arkansas, with ability to block, run and catch passes.

Do you think Hillis is being well used by our offense? Are we allowing him to show his full potential? He is mostly blocking for our RBs, and that's what we expect from a FB, okay. But he is rarely targeted as receiver and rarely runs with the ball. Should he receive more passes and get more carries? He not even played against Tampa Bay, and now is competing with FB,MLB and ST beast Spencer Larsen for the FB job.
    sigpic

He absolutely should not be getting any carries. This isn't college defenses.

He is going to be targeted on offense behind Marshall, Royal, Scheffler, and even the RB's, and that's ok.

AS long as he's blocking well, they are using him exactly how he should be used.

Comment

i would like to see him get 4-5 touches a game . . . he is a FB and considering all the other weapons have i think thats all he should get, depending on what he does with those
      sigpic
      -------

Comment

If I remember correctly, Hillis had family matters last week thus having to miss practice. Shanahan understood that Hillis had to deal with some personal matters at home, and played our second string FB.

I'm a BIT surprised we haven't seen Hillis catching more passes. I do think that we'll see MORE of it as the season progresses. Hillis in game one with that catch and run to get us out of our own endzone was a fantastic play by him, and figured we would see more.

I also remember him dropping a wide open pass as well. :shrug: That doesn't mean much. Marshall dropped a wide open pass last week, it happens. But Hillis is the man at FB. We aren't replacing him with Larsen.

Comment

Hillis will be getting the ball more as the season progresses. I know Shanahan can see that he has a secret weapon in there at FB. Maybe he wants to surprise the league and showcase him on Monday Night Football against the Pats, just as he did with Eddie Royal. Note that the monday night game against the Raiders was the last time, i believe, that Hillis carried the ball more than once. We'll see.

Comment

On more than one occasion I have expected a FB hand off like what SD use to do with LoLo.

I am sure he will get more touches as the season progresses. Right now he just needs to block well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
              If I remember correctly, Hillis had family matters last week thus having to miss practice. Shanahan understood that Hillis had to deal with some personal matters at home, and played our second string FB.

I'm a BIT surprised we haven't seen Hillis catching more passes. I do think that we'll see MORE of it as the season progresses. Hillis in game one with that catch and run to get us out of our own endzone was a fantastic play by him, and figured we would see more.

I also remember him dropping a wide open pass as well. :shrug: That doesn't mean much. Marshall dropped a wide open pass last week, it happens. But Hillis is the man at FB. We aren't replacing him with Larsen.
              Shanahan actually said that "regardless of the family issues he was starting Larson at FB over Hillis" because he wanted more quality at special teams. He also said that Larson did good and that there is "good competition" at the FB position. Take that as you will.

Comment

Originally posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
                Shanahan actually said that "regardless of the family issues he was starting Larson at FB over Hillis" because he wanted more quality at special teams. He also said that Larson did good and that there is "good competition" at the FB position. Take that as you will.
                How would Larsen starting at FB or not starting at FB help the Special teams more? I mean, he could activate Larsen to get that same benefit. Is he 'deactivating' Hillis this week to start Larsen?

I just can't imagine the team doing this when Hillis is obviously the better FB. Larsen is a STUD at FB. Maybe the game plan last week wasn't to really use one :shrug:

Comment

Can you provide a link so we can see exactly what was said and the context?

Regardless, as Rav mentioned starting at fullback has nothing to do with getting more quality at special teams.

Hillis and Larson are both rookies and the coaches are still getting a feel for what they can do. No matter what they did in college, they have to prove what they can do as pros.

I think Hillis will end up our long term starter at fullback, even if the coaches are experimenting right now with Larsen. Hillis is normally a good receiver (despite at least one notable drop so far) and a good runner from the fullback spot but he needs to keep improving his blocking. He's made some fantastic blocks so far this season but I also remember several whiffs. Hopefully his shortcomings will improve with experience but he has shown a lot of raw ability.

But fullbacks in our offense will probably never get huge numbers of carries or receptions. They are used more to catch defenses off guard and keep them honest.
                  "You can't take the sky from me..."
                  ------
                  "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                    When the Broncos drafted Peyton Hillis, we were told he was a great FB for Arkansas, with ability to block, run and catch passes.

Do you think Hillis is being well used by our offense? Are we allowing him to show his full potential? He is mostly blocking for our RBs, and that's what we expect from a FB, okay. But he is rarely targeted as receiver and rarely runs with the ball. Should he receive more passes and get more carries? He not even played against Tampa Bay, and now is competing with FB,MLB and ST beast Spencer Larsen for the FB job.
                    He had the best hands on the team at Arkansas. I would like to see Cutler check down to him more often.
                    Denver Broncos All-Time Team
                    Do you know who were the Greatest Denver Broncos players of all-time?
                    Know the Denver Broncos Team History

Comment

Actually what he said was he wanted more people able to play LB in the game so was going to activate a LB
                      sigpic

Comment

Giving Larsen reps at FB will accelerate his development as a MLB. It also brings up the possibility of Larsen blocking for Hillis(RB) in short yardage. Something we might see with Pittman getting regular reps with Young out.

Comment

"On the fullback position

There is a reason why he (Peyton Hillis) didn't dress (versus Tampa Bay Sunday) -- We gave it to (Spencer) Larsen. Someone had asked me if it was because of the death (in his family) that he didn't dress and I said no, we were going to go with Larsen. We want to give him the opportunity to show us what he can do. Anybody that hits like that on special teams can hit those linebackers. He did a good job. That doesn't mean Peyton is not going to be up next week but we have some competition at that position.

On Spencer Larsen at the fullback position

You never know. You just get that gut feeling. You watch a guy on film and you see how he likes to hit. Even before we drafted him, I called him up and I wanted to see if he was willing to play fullback, if he would look at the fullback position. He is a very smart guy and a guy with that type of intelligence usually can play two positions if he has the right mindset. He was physical enough on defense where you could see that he wasn't afraid to hit anybody. He is sharp and he has adjusted very quickly. He just keeps getting better and better."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...-Shanahan.html

Comment

Here's what Shanahan said about Larsen starting:

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/bronco....2.836158.html

FULLBACK TURNSTILE: Things could change, but Shanahan said he started converted linebacker Spencer Larsen, a rookie, at fullback last week out of merit, not circumstance.

"There is a reason why he (Peyton Hillis) didn't dress" against Tampa Bay on Sunday, Shanahan said. "We gave it to Larsen. Someone had asked me if it was because of the death (in his family) that he didn't dress and I said no, we were going to go with Larsen. We want to give him the opportunity to show us what he can do.

"Anybody that hits like that on special teams can hit those linebackers" deserves a chance to show what he can do, Shanahan said. "He did a good job. That doesn't mean Peyton is not going to be up next week but we have some competition at that position."

Larsen spent his college career as a linebacker a the University of Arizona, but Shanahan spoke with him before selecting him in the sixth round of the draft about converting to offense.

"You just get that gut feeling. You watch a guy on film and you see how he likes to hit. Even before we drafted him, I called him up and I wanted to see if he was willing to play fullback, if he would look at the fullback position," Shanahan said.

"He was physical enough on defense where you could see that he wasn't afraid to hit anybody. He is sharp and he has adjusted very quickly. He just keeps getting better and better."

Ah, one minute too slow! I'll just leave this here.
                            "I'm never going to lose to Denver, watch." - Colt McCoy (2010 NFL Draft)

Comment

Originally posted by sage View Post
                              Giving Larsen reps at FB will accelerate his development as a MLB. It also brings up the possibility of Larsen blocking for Hillis(RB) in short yardage. Something we might see with Pittman getting regular reps with Young out.
                              I hope so, I would love to see Hillis getting some carries, especially on the goal line.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X