Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comparing today's squad to the 97/98 Broncos??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing today's squad to the 97/98 Broncos??

With all this comparing going on between Elway and Cutler, I realized that maybe it's better to not compare, but rather talk about their strengths. Sometimes comparisons (like who's got the stronger arm) end up in negative discussions versus what they should be....positive ones. For example, people start knocking one guy or the other just to make a point, a point that has no important purpose. Lets just say that Elway was a great QB, and won back to back SBs, whereas Jay is an up and coming, potentially great QB, and will hopefully wear a few rings down the road.

And as for the 97/98 squads, well they were also great. Now I do love our 08 team, and believe me, we have a shot at the AFC West, the Conference, and yes, a small possibility of making it to the SB (if all things come together). But as for comparisons, well this isn't going to happen here. The back to back SB winners were comprised of a long list of mature stars including - Elway, Davis, R Smith, McCaffrey, Sharpe, Zimmerman, Schlereth, Nalen, Pryce, Traylor, N Smith, Romanowski, Mobley, Atwater, Elam and more. It's no wonder they won so much, they were an awesome bunch. And Shanny was very much a part of it. When I watched them, I expected victory.

So no more comparisons, other than to say that hopefully our young, talented and developing team can keep building to the level and standard of those teams. Who knows, we may even surprise in 08. The bottom line is that we have so much young talent that the future may be as bright as the 97/98 era.

But not to be greedy, I'd be quite happy if we just keep improving...because good things will happen.
    Last edited by CanDB; 10-11-2008, 07:13 PM.

we need to be able to run like back in the day and ill be happy

Comment

Too soon and too cliche to start comparing our now team to the 98 team. We need to fix our huge gaps on defense and have an extremely consistent run game with a feature back(should and could be selvin) and then we'll start comparing. But right now our offensive passing game has not looked the same since the first 2 weeks and there are questions we have on defense as well as the run game. If we step up on defense like we did last week, and play good consistent offense with few big mistakes, that will be more than I could ask for, thats all Im hoping for actually.

Comment

Differences? Elway's leadership, the league's best running game, confidence, and Steve Atwater.

Comment

We had a competent D and Terrell Davis then, we are a far cry from being the '97 and '98 teams.
          sigpic
          Sig by Blondie79

Comment

We got pressure with Neil Smith, and Traylor was a stud DT
            Go Hard or Go Home

Comment

You folks all have good answers as to why we shouldn't even bother to compare our present team to the SB back to backers. And that's the point of my thread, with one possible exception.....what happens if we win the AFC West and sneak in by winning the Conference? Then, anything could happen. And say we come together a bit and make it to "The Dance". Would we start comparing, even though based on what we have, we don't deserve that recognition...not yet anyway.

I see this year as an off year, where anyone of a group of teams could do very well in the end. It's injury related, and parody related as well. But it's a strange year brewing in my opinion. I remember a few years in sports when the "survivor" won, even though they were not that talented.

Yes we can compare Elway and Cutler to some degree, as they have some similar qualities. But we should not be able to compare the teams, at least on paper, even if we take it to the house, as they say.

Comment

They arent even close. You cant begin to compare Cutler to Elway.

1 decent week dont a defense make

Our offense can get the job done but when we give up 30 a game we wont win a championship.

Lets keep it real

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_boy_75 View Post
                  They arent even close. You cant begin to compare Cutler to Elway.

1 decent week dont a defense make

Our offense can get the job done but when we give up 30 a game we wont win a championship.

Lets keep it real
                  I do hope you understand that I don't see us on the same page as the SB teams, but that we could far this year with the package we have. The thread was motivated by all the Elway / Cutler comparisons, which I believe are premature as well, but understandable given that there are some similarities in the two QBs. Elway is the reigning King of Broncoland, and Cutler is on a mission of his own, but he has a journey ahead of him.

As for the teams, no solid comparisons yet.....although the O has some potential comparables if the oline stays on pace, and Torain steps up the running game for us. The defenses have almost no similarities as of today, although Champ would make any team.

Again, the irony of it all, if we continue to win, and find a way to make it deep into the playoffs. Don't count us out yet.

Comment

The obvious difference is in the running game. I think our rush defense was better in 97/98 but our pass defense is about the same. I think in 97/98 we had some old wiley veterans who knew they were in their last couple seasons and wanted to go out winners and that motivated them to play hard. With the team we have now it is made up of a lot of young talented guys who are hungary to win and are motivated to play hard due to the general lack of respect they are given.

I loved the teams of 97/98 but I think if we can find ourselves a franchise type RB and upgrade some positions on D this team we have now has the potential to be better and more exciting and successful as the 97/98 teams.
                    Proud Member of the Legion of Doom Beadlemania Team Tebow

Comment

In all honesty we would be contenders this year if we had a defense week after week.

Comment

In all honesty we would be contenders this year if we had a defense week after week.
                        That's a pretty interesting theory you have there..........I don't think anyone around here had thought of that yet

On a serious note I agree with you.
                        Proud Member of the Legion of Doom Beadlemania Team Tebow

Comment

I agree, but maybe if we stopped giving the ball away each week we'd also be a contender!!!

Comment

Im just saying that it is clear we have an offense but when we give up so many points its hard to stay ahead.

Its funny cause im a UK college football fan. They have a great defense and zero offense.....now if i could only merge my 2 teams......

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                              With all this comparing going on between Elway and Cutler, I realized that maybe it's better to not compare, but rather talk about their strengths. Sometimes comparisons (like who's got the stronger arm) end up in negative discussions versus what they should be....positive ones. For example, people start knocking one guy or the other just to make a point, a point that has no important purpose. Lets just say that Elway was a great QB, and won back to back SBs, whereas Jay is an up and coming, potentially great QB, and will hopefully wear a few rings down the road.

And as for the 97/98 squads, well they were also great. Now I do love our 08 team, and believe me, we have a shot at the AFC West, the Conference, and yes, a small possibility of making it to the SB (if all things come together). But as for comparisons, well this isn't going to happen here. The back to back SB winners were comprised of a long list of mature stars including - Elway, Davis, R Smith, McCaffrey, Sharpe, Zimmerman, Schlereth, Nalen, Pryce, Traylor, N Smith, Romanowski, Mobley, Atwater, Elam and more. It's no wonder they won so much, they were an awesome bunch. And Shanny was very much a part of it. When I watched them, I expected victory.

So no more comparisons, other than to say that hopefully our young, talented and developing team can keep building to the level and standard of those teams. Who knows, we may even surprise in 08. The bottom line is that we have so much young talent that the future may be as bright as the 97/98 era.

But not to be greedy, I'd be quite happy if we just keep improving...because good things will happen.
                              The thing is you said IF ALL THINGS COME TOGETHER. Fact remains if all things come together for the more talented team in the division the Chargers then you won't be winning the AFC West. The Chargers have put up extended winning streaks and play their best ball on both sides in the 2nd half of the season and in games. With that said we aren't in the 2nd half yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X