X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by Chaboyer View Post
    your reading the box score not WATCHING the game take away the few big runs and I bet they average under 3
    Well guess what you can't just take the big runs away and seeing as how teams can consistently get at least 1 big run on us a game this will continue to make our defense look bad.

Leave a comment:

• ArchAngel
    replied
    Has our defense improved? In short, NO. Todays game I expect J'ville will torch Denver with the run. I know they've had problems in that aspect but it seems any team with offensive problems seem to magically find a cure when they play Denver. J'ville's scheme will to be to run, run and run some more to keep the ball away from Cutler and Co.

I still think Denver will win by three, but Denver has not resolved its defensive problems. This will be a season long problem.

Leave a comment:

• Chaboyer
    replied
    Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    The only improvement that I saw was in the pass rush. I don't think our run defense did any better. Tampa rushed for 139 total yards on us.

Last season Jacksonville ran all over us and mainly kept the ball away from us. The final score doesn't tell the whole story of the game. Even though we lost by 9 we were pretty much dominate. Didn't we have the ball for like 20 minutes the whole game?
    your reading the box score not WATCHING the game take away the few big runs and I bet they average under 3

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by taunte007 View Post
    you know imi not even sure about our d , but im also not sure about some people on these messages boards. right away instead of just making the point , he takes a shot at everyone saying he is not a blind homer like everyone else...no one needs the oprah bullcrap just say what u gotta say about our broncs.get in and get out and hopefully we can concentrate on the actual points being made by the true fans and the blind homers and have some fun doing it.
    Go back and re-read my post. I didn't take a shot at anyone right away. I made my points and then like most of these people do when you say something bad about our team they question your fanhood. I was just stating that I am a true fan but not a blind homer.

Leave a comment:

• DarrentCB27
    replied
    Truth about the Jaguars

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I'm curious if you have been keeping up with the NFL this season so far?

The Jags have lost their two starting guards for the season in game one, and one back up. Their OTs have been playing poorly as well. Their defensive secondary has been a weakness of their team, and their RBs aren't getting much room to run due to their injured OL.

Now... do I think this is going to be an easy game? Not in the least. I think this will be a very tough game. But I still disagree with you on the statemet that TB ran all over us. I think you are looking at teh stats, and didn't watch the game.
    Who is the "one backup" you are referring to? Right guard Chris Naeole, or the left tackle Richard Collier? FYI Naeole was not on the team in Week 1 and will come back later this year. Collier is done with football forever.

You obviously were not watching the Jaguars/Colts game. Many Jaguars fans were raving about the offensive line's performance at all five positions, saying they played like nobody was missing. Some Jaguars fans are even saying Khalif Barnes, the left tackle, might be deserving of a trip to the Pro Bowl.

The secondary does not have Drayton Florence or Reggie Nelson because of injuries. While I do not wish injuries on anybody, I think that fact will help us because Jacksonville is better with them on the field.

Leave a comment:

• taunte007
    replied
    you know imi not even sure about our d , but im also not sure about some people on these messages boards. right away instead of just making the point , he takes a shot at everyone saying he is not a blind homer like everyone else...no one needs the oprah bullcrap just say what u gotta say about our broncs.get in and get out and hopefully we can concentrate on the actual points being made by the true fans and the blind homers and have some fun doing it.

Leave a comment:

• draco193
    replied
    The big play has hurt he defense so far this year. Look at each game (exept maybe the chiefs game), and youll see big plays have made other offenses look great against us.

Last week, Warrick Dunn runs one for 38 yards. Without that outlier, the bucs rush for closer to 100, and their average yards per carry drops much closer to 5. Not stellar, but, not horrid. We also held them to a field goal on that drive, with more than half of those yards going to one play. Especially because the offense was eating clock. The only drive the Broncos really gave up all day was at the end of the game, and the D forced TB to use over five minutes to score, when they certainly couldnt afford to do so.

Week 2 against the Chargers, we gave up only 80 ruhing yards. Pretty darn good, considering we held LT to 26. The big play in this game let the Chargers stay in it.

Week 1 was a total domination. One big run by Fargas in garbage time, and it makes those stats look inflated.

Week 3 against the Saints, only 88 yards given up rushing. Once again though, big plays le the Saints stay in it.

Big Plays are a combination of luck, and poor execution of a scheme. Now, we need to continue to cut down on big plays. But, a lot of them have come out of that 3-4 defense, that we didnt even install until the season had started.

Im not saying the defense is great, but, they are a lot better I feeel than people give credit for.

Leave a comment:

• elevation INC
    replied
    Mmm.. This week, or every week? This week I'm not as worried about it because of their hurt/injured OL. But that doesn't mean I'm not concerned about it every week.

I know the Bucs game was the first to make a defensive stop. First week we actually "played" defense, imo. But we did have Ek back. We had Robertson back (we didn't ahve him against KC), and we had Dumervile back without an injured hand. The 3-4 was in its second week, and things seemed to have made a dramatic move forward. But... there is that " but" that still worries me. That being " But we've only played ONE good week on defense out of five."

fair enough, but think what we just went over, dumervil is back healthy, ekuban is starting where he belongs, robertson played, peterson looked good. and our Lb's stopped waiting for the plays and steped up and made them instead. if our lb's play like they did last week we will win this game.

the problem with this defense has been mistakes, they fixed that last week, now the biggest problem that reamins is the pass defense. last week wasnt a good test for that. we have 2 safties that arent very good which was glaring in games gainst the chargers and saints.

FYI we used the 3-4 look against sandiego in fact i think sproles and there FB tolbert killed it with big plays and we stopped.....

the screen play worries me not the run. our lb's know they want to run the ball, this is a pride match-up in which i think our lb's come up big. however its the screens and undernetath routes which scare me. our safties suck at covering underneath stuff, and untill last week boss didnt show alot of ability at getting to the outside.

Leave a comment:

• Justblaze2729
    replied
    The only improvement that I saw was in the pass rush. I don't think our run defense did any better. Tampa rushed for 139 total yards on us.

Last season Jacksonville ran all over us and mainly kept the ball away from us. The final score doesn't tell the whole story of the game. Even though we lost by 9 we were pretty much dominate. Didn't we have the ball for like 20 minutes the whole game?
    it doesnt matter if they run all over us and not get in the endzone ..all thats doing is killing clock to either put up 3 points or none so yes it did look good ....how good is it if our offense goes wild from 20 to 20 and not put it in the endzone????? not good so yeah i think that pretty good defense

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
    if our lb's run to the holes like they did last week, we will be just fine. like i said in anotehr thread yds dont tell the whole story, because in the second half when they wanted to run the ball and control the clock we were downright stuffing them creating long situations for the pass.

i am most worried in this game about special teams, and the screen pass. not the run game.....
    Mmm.. This week, or every week? This week I'm not as worried about it because of their hurt/injured OL. But that doesn't mean I'm not concerned about it every week.

I know the Bucs game was the first to make a defensive stop. First week we actually "played" defense, imo. But we did have Ek back. We had Robertson back (we didn't ahve him against KC), and we had Dumervile back without an injured hand. The 3-4 was in its second week, and things seemed to have made a dramatic move forward. But... there is that " but" that still worries me. That being " But we've only played ONE good week on defense out of five."

Leave a comment:

• elevation INC
    replied
    Like I said. I'm not defending our defense until I see us have more than one game. I too, am not convinced that our defense has improved and am very concerned that the Jags will run down our throats like everyone else (other than the Bucs) have done.

if our lb's run to the holes like they did last week, we will be just fine. like i said in anotehr thread yds dont tell the whole story, because in the second half when they wanted to run the ball and control the clock we were downright stuffing them creating long situations for the pass.

i am most worried in this game about special teams, and the screen pass. not the run game.....

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    They ran all over Houston and Indy but they struggled last week against the Steelers who have a very good defense. Plus I don't think it matter every team runs all over us and even with the Jags having O-line problems I still think that they are more than capable of running on us.
    Like I said. I'm not defending our defense until I see us have more than one game. I too, am not convinced that our defense has improved and am very concerned that the Jags will run down our throats like everyone else (other than the Bucs) have done.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    I'm curious if you have been keeping up with the NFL this season so far?

The Jags have lost their two starting guards for the season in game one, and one back up. Their OTs have been playing poorly as well. Their defensive secondary has been a weakness of their team, and their RBs aren't getting much room to run due to their injured OL.

Now... do I think this is going to be an easy game? Not in the least. I think this will be a very tough game. But I still disagree with you on the statemet that TB ran all over us. I think you are looking at teh stats, and didn't watch the game.
    They ran all over Houston and Indy but they struggled last week against the Steelers who have a very good defense. Plus I don't think it matter every team runs all over us and even with the Jags having O-line problems I still think that they are more than capable of running on us.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco Axe
    replied
    I don't really think the Jags will be a accurate test of the Defense, they are just too weak Offensively, but their Defense will be MORE then capable of giving the Offense a stiff challenge.

Leave a comment:

• knoxman36and2
    replied
    I think our defense has improved somewhat, and maybe even built some confidence in the new hybrid scheme in the game vs Tampa. Is it perfect yet? No, its not and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see us gashed on the run today by the Jags. I have seen a lot of discussions on which scheme needs to be ran here whether it be zone blitz, 3-4, 4-3, or even 4-6. I have also seen a lot of comments about us not having the players to implement various schemes. I would submit that we are subpar on our D-line overall and in our linebacking ranks as well. Dj plays well but still plays soft at times against the run. Boss is fast but also plays too soft, while Webster seems completely lost out there at times and whether you like him or not you can not logically argue that he is a dominant Mike. I think (and again its all opinion, which means its very likely to be wrong) that we are trying to find some form of a 3-4, 4-3 scheme that will use what we have in the best way possible even though theres no substitute for talent. Our secondary isnt bad at all and actually is a much better unit overall than we give them credit for, its the front 7 that have to step up and give the corners and safeties some help on passing downs. The only fault I have with our secondary is in run support I think Manuel disappears at times.
    There will be many that say...this guys nuts...our Lb's have tons of tackles. How many of those tackles are for a loss? How many are stops at the line of scrimmage? How many of those are AFTER a gain of 3-7 yards? Our entire front 7 will have to keep stepping up the intensity on run defense AND pass rushing if we want a dominant D. The one kudo I will give to Slowik whether I like his scheme or not? They are still experimenting trying to find something that works. They arent just saying, "This is as good as it gets, guess we will have to live with it". So far that experimenting has seen us step up and play better ball as the season has went on. Kc was definitely an eye-opener and perhaps was the direct cause of the much better play we saw last week. It's finally sunk home with our D that the O cant and wont always score 30+ in each game.
    While I try not to be a homer and see things through orange colored glasses I still think we can and will get better as the season goes along. Who knows, by the time the play-offs get here our defense may have gelled and became a unit that can complement our O and ST. If that does happen then look out NFC East we will be seeing one of you guys in the big game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X