No announcement yet.

ON THE OFFENSE (UGLY NUMBERS) - 5 TDs in 14 Quarters; 9 points after halftime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ON THE OFFENSE (UGLY NUMBERS) - 5 TDs in 14 Quarters; 9 points after halftime

The offense has scored 5 TDs in the last 3.5 games... That's 5 touchdown folks in FOURTEEN quarters of football. WOW!

On top of that... toss out the OAK game... Here's a recap of DEN's 2nd-half scoring: 8 points, 10 points, 9 points, 10 points, & 10 points.

SO, in the last 5 games... DEN has managed 4 second-half touchdowns. We're averaging a tad over 9 points per second half.

ARE WE DOING ANYTHING during halftime? Our we being out-coached? Are we being "worn" down by the opponent's defense? Are we stopping ourselves? Whatever it is... FIVE games is not a trend... It's a reality... We are what we are, right?

ALSO, against OAK... Immediately... we get two "big play" TDs... a 26 yarder to Royal and then a 48 yarder to D-Jax.

What happened to the "Big Play" ???
    What about the semi-big play?

Sure... against NO we had a 35 yard toss to Marsh... And then a 34 yard fumble recovery by Webster... NADA since.

It seems like it takes us 12 plays to get in the Red Zone. We break nothing for TDs? NO big run... no bombs anymore. Notice a trend.

DEFENSES have taken away the BIG PLAY... They stop us in the second half... NOW... we cannot even score 20 points!

What's the problem?

Why do we struggle to score TDs? Especially in the 3rd/4th quarter? Is it because we never hit the HR... We always have to grind it? Is it b/c we do not run the ball particularly well? Is it b/c we have injuries?

STILL... the reality isn't good. Our RedZone issues are resurfacing... We just aint punching in TDS... AND, averaging one TD after half is not good!.

teams have found out that the Cover 2 disrupts our potent offense. Our offense has gone from studs to duds....it's horrible...progressively worse

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

It's like we don't adjust to the game during the halftime break...

We just come out and try to do the same things we've been doing, working or not working.

Comment

I think a major problem is we don't control the pace of the game. Our running game has been mediocre and we don't have real threat back there. Today Pittman looked pretty darn good and we should really take a look at him starting.

If we had gone up 14-0, instead of the Marshall fumble, we would have had control and this would have been a different game. Instead we played catch up the whole game.

Comment

After the smoke settles and the Broncos will still be in the top 5 offensive scoring and 2 games above .500 ...

When they dip below this mark I mite read more into any complements about the offense...The defense is the root of all evil.

No debate needed the stats in this case will not lie ....
          :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Yeah... but... DEN got the 3-&-out it needed... Got the ball back w/ 7 minutes left... The offense goes 3-&-out and hands JAX the ball right back.

EVEN against KC.. our DEFENSE kept us alive for 3 quarters.

The bottom line: THE OFFENSE NEEDS TO SCORE 24+ points a game. SImple as that. SURE, if we lose then... the DEFENSE can be called out.

Tonight is not the time to blame the DEFENSE (plenty of time to do that later on this year).

AND... I'm not blaming anyone or calling out the offense. I just noticed that we have a problem right now... and I'm wondering why.

FIVE games is almost 1/3 of the season... What have we've seen? WELL, I see an offense that struggles to score TDs... I see an offense that cannot muster any momentum in the second-half.

5 TDs in the last 3.5 games. 9 points a game after HALF? This is deeper than the DEFENSE.

WE'VE SEEN RZ problems for 3 years now... they continue to burn us.

HARD TO WIN when you score one TD a game.

Comment

im not sure if its execution or playcalling but we do need to change something

i have a theory that its because of our running game

i dont have numbers or anything to back me up but follow along and let me know if its accurate,

i think that we since we either cant or choose not to run the ball as much in the first half its hard for us to eat up the clock come the end of the game because its hard for the opposition to make adjustments during the first 2 quarters but when they get a chance to think at half time they are able to successfully adjust to at least slow down the passing game.

and because of our lack of our usually dominant running game we dont wear down other teams come the end of a game so while we are tired from all the passing and the D is tired from the first half it gives our opponents to play catch up and we start to show weakness's
              sigpic
              -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                im not sure if its execution or playcalling but we do need to change something

i have a theory that its because of our running game

i dont have numbers or anything to back me up but follow along and let me know if its accurate,

i think that we since we either cant or choose not to run the ball as much in the first half its hard for us to eat up the clock come the end of the game because its hard for the opposition to make adjustments during the first 2 quarters but when they get a chance to think at half time they are able to successfully adjust to at least slow down the passing game.

and because of our lack of our usually dominant running game we dont wear down other teams come the end of a game so while we are tired from all the passing and the D is tired from the first half it gives our opponents to play catch up and we start to show weakness's

IT SEEMS like a perfect storm of everything... some poor execution, sloopy play, a bad call... Seems like on any given down, on any given drive, we are plagued by something.

This is like a baby-Indy offense... Cutler and Co. just do not have enough time/experience w/ each other.

SO... unlike a power running game which never "slumps" ... when you pass and you're young... too many things can cause the train to derail...

One drive it's a dropped ball.... the next it's bad play-calling, then maybe Cutler makes a bad throw or poor read, then maybe the DEFENSE makes a play.

The good news is that it's not one thing we fail to do consistently... I mean the coaching has shown it can own a defense, we all know Cutler has the talent, and the weapons...

BUT... is this the bad news for this season... That we must endure the growing pains?

I think so...

I think we have enough to get to JAN... I think this team will play in the first round... DEN will lose and exit early... BUT, this is all good. This is all we ask from for this group. Sure, we hold out hope for me... BUT, we just want to see growth.

I have to admit... Losing Royal, Scheffler, Young, Hall, Stokely... WELL, it did hurt today. It wasn't the reason why we lost... MARSH fumbled and then dropped a pass... Cutler made bad reads... Still...

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post

We just come out and try to do the same things we've been doing, working or not working.
                  that sounds about right to me

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                    IT SEEMS like a perfect storm of everything... some poor execution, sloopy play, a bad call... Seems like on any given down, on any given drive, we are plagued by something.

This is like a baby-Indy offense... Cutler and Co. just do not have enough time/experience w/ each other.

SO... unlike a power running game which never "slumps" ... when you pass and you're young... too many things can cause the train to derail...

One drive it's a dropped ball.... the next it's bad play-calling, then maybe Cutler makes a bad throw or poor read, then maybe the DEFENSE makes a play.

The good news is that it's not one thing we fail to do consistently... I mean the coaching has shown it can own a defense, we all know Cutler has the talent, and the weapons...

BUT... is this the bad news for this season... That we must endure the growing pains?

I think so...

I think we have enough to get to JAN... I think this team will play in the first round... DEN will lose and exit early... BUT, this is all good. This is all we ask from for this group. Sure, we hold out hope for me... BUT, we just want to see growth.

I have to admit... Losing Royal, Scheffler, Young, Hall, Stokely... WELL, it did hurt today. It wasn't the reason why we lost... MARSH fumbled and then dropped a pass... Cutler made bad reads... Still...
                    also good points, im with ya i will not blame the loss on losing all those guys but i will blame the less explosive offense on it, we still should have been able to win that game, but too many mistakes, but you have to expect that with such a young team
                    sigpic
                    -------

Comment

The bottom line: THE OFFENSE NEEDS TO SCORE 24+ points a game. SImple as that..
                      Why does the offense need to score 24 points a game to win ??

What would be the average by the end of the season......
                      Last edited by LarryDean; 10-12-2008, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryDean View Post

Because that is the way THIS team... 2008 Broncos... were/are built. It's like asking the SUNS to win a 78-74 game or for the Yanks to win 3-2.

FACE IT... IF we are to win this tear... WE have to score 24 points a game.

EITHER WAY... scoring 5 TDs in 14 quarters isn't going to cut it... even if we had TENN's "D" ...

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post

What else are we supposed to do? The only thing we have is the spread pass offense. Once that's shut down (which is made easier by our injuries and turnovers), we don't have much of anything. Until Torrain comes back, our offense will remain inconsistent. Even then, we can only hope he's able to balance out the offense and be the running back we're looking for.

Otherwise, he's to a day one running back so that our offense will be unstoppable, while our defense is busy catching up.

Comment

Because that is the way THIS team... 2008 Broncos... were/are built. It's like asking the SUNS to win a 78-74 game or for the Yanks to win 3-2.

FACE IT... IF we are to win this tear... WE have to score 24 points a game.

EITHER WAY... scoring 5 TDs in 14 quarters isn't going to cut it... even if we had TENN's "D" ...
                            Face what ? What makes you think I'm impressed with a 5-0 Titans team ?

Why does Denver have to score 24 points a game to win ? Plz I didn't post it how many points would that be by years end...

Comment

Originally posted by LarryDean View Post

What would be the average by the end of the season......
                              because the defense gives up way too many points

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X