• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by arapaho View Post
    blown out ?...no...beat yes

we went up 10 zip first qrt
    the score was 13-14 at half time
    the score was 20-28 going into the forth
    And what was the final score. That's right 38-20. So yes we did get blown out. You can't look at only portions of the game. It is a 4 quarter game so don't make excuses for them. Since we were up 10-0 in first quarter that basically means we lost the last 3 quarters 38-10. And even if you take out the 4th quarter and say the defense was tired at that point then we got outscored 28-10 in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. That's bad. So don't give me this oh we got beat but not blown out crap. Or any of this they got warn out by the offense not putting up numbers
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by kmcgough25 View Post
      Question because I am not sure of the impact. We all know that Bailey is used for run support. If he was brought up to the line, what impact would that have on our run defense?
      The same impact pretty much
      dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

• Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
        It's not a deficiency in scheme. It is a dificiency in talent. And if you can't see that then your blind. There have been few and far between moments this year where no matter how many guys we bring we can't get to the quarterback. That is lack of talent. We don't have lineman that can get to the qb on their own. They need help from the linebackers. Why is it that our cornerback probably leads the team in rushing tackles for loss. We are having to bring bailey in all the time to help shut down the run. You can't tell me that's not lack of talent. Our first rounder from 2 years ago has been inactive half the season. What does that have to do with slowiks scheme? He has nothing to work with. Our secondary is not worst in the league I agree but when garrard has 15 seconds to run around until a bogus illegal contact on bly then it's gonna look like they are the worst secondary. Of Course who knows. Maybe it's lack of scheme and talent
        I would tend to agree with you, because imo, the talent is so bad that we don't even know if Slowik's scheme is worth a crap.

But for continuity/chemistry's sake, Denver needs to stick with a DC for more than a season, I just wish it didn't have to be a DC as pathetic as Slowik has historically been.

One thing we know they cannot do is stick with some of the current starters, this defense has 5 players starting who shouldn't be starting. The safety's, the MLB and both starting DE's. The DT's are borderline and the depth is crap.

It pains me to say it but, give Slowik another season, the majority of the players, though, should be fighting for their football lives.......

Comment

• Originally posted by stnzed View Post
          I would tend to agree with you, because imo, the talent is so bad that we don't even know if Slowik's scheme is worth a crap.

But for continuity/chemistry's sake, Denver needs to stick with a DC for more than a season, I just wish it didn't have to be a DC as pathetic as Slowik has historically been.

One thing we know they cannot do is stick with some of the current starters, this defense has 5 players starting who shouldn't be starting. The safety's, the MLB and both starting DE's. The DT's are borderline and the depth is crap.

It pains me to say it but, give Slowik another season, the majority of the players, though, should be fighting for their football lives.......
          Thats been my point since the start of this thread over 30 hours ago. I dont necissarily care for all the schemes I"m seeing from Slowik and yes his history isn't that great. However I don't see how anyone can deny that there is a massive lack of talent on the defense. I feel that we need to get some more players in to strengthen our corps and if the schemes still suck and the job isnt' getting done then fire him. But it takes more than 6 games to deteremine what the exact problem is. For the most part I've been saying its pretty much a little bit of both (scheme and no talent). By the way did Jim Bates get hired anywhere? If so how is he doing this year? That can help show you if slowiks schemes are worse or if we just have no talent.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
            What annoys me the most is the fact that our CB's consistently play 5-8 yards off the WR, no matter the down and distance, it was 3rd and 3 and Champ was 6 yards off and Bly was 8. The jags didnt throw a quick WR screen but they definitely could have. QB's have been picking us apart with how our CB's line up, we have no int's and no pressure.

When you look at them both together its no wonder we have a horrible pass defense.

1)Poor pass rush from front 4/no blitzing

2)Free release at the line of scrimmage

If we blitz more, and play up at the line with the CB's we'd force more incompletions no question
            The reason the corners are playing off is because we can't trust our unreliable safeties over the top and if a corner does press coverage they can get beaten deep very, VERY easily.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TheJackal View Post
              The reason the corners are playing off is because we can't trust our unreliable safeties over the top and if a corner does press coverage they can get beaten deep very, VERY easily.

isnt that why you have the best corner in the game as well as a top 10cb ...so they can play man and not get beat easily?

so whats better ...forcing some pressure, getting more stops as well as 3n outs...while occasionaly getting beat deep

or sitting back in a soft zone with no qb pressure allowing the team to easily work the ball down the field at will?
              sigpic
              when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

isnt that why you have the best corner in the game as well as a top 10cb ...so they can play man and not get beat easily?

so whats better ...forcing some pressure, getting more stops as well as 3n outs...while occasionaly getting beat deep

or sitting back in a soft zone with no qb pressure allowing the team to easily work the ball down the field at will?
                When the opposing QB has enough time to stand back in the pocket read through his progression and then throw to his original read it doesn't matter if the corners are pressing or sitting in a zone. You could clone Champ and put all of them in a nickel defense and Denver would still allow 300+ yards passing a game at 72% completion rate. Other than needing a true ballhawk safety there really is nothing wrong with the secondary. It is the piss poor DLine not getting any kind of pass rush that is killing this team.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
                  When the opposing QB has enough time to stand back in the pocket read through his progression and then throw to his original read it doesn't matter if the corners are pressing or sitting in a zone. You could clone Champ and put all of them in a nickel defense and Denver would still allow 300+ yards passing a game at 72% completion rate. Other than needing a true ballhawk safety there really is nothing wrong with the secondary. It is the piss poor DLine not getting any kind of pass rush that is killing this team.
                  true .....but if the cbs and nickles are gonna give a 10 yard cushion...i dont care if you have a d line of probowlers
                  ...the qbs gonna dink and dunk us to death as they have been

have you noticed a common play every team has used against us since the dolts game,,,the quick three step drop and shooot....or the two-3 step drop and spin around and throw it to a uncovered wr...i have......why cause we line so deep their taking advantage,,,and the best dline isnt gonna get pressure
                  Last edited by arapaho; 10-15-2008, 07:59 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Seems like most people here, including slowik is scared of pressing on the line and blitzing more. He tends to play the "safe zone play" while giving up the 10-20 yard passes everytime hoping that will save his job. So we might get beat once in a while on the deep ball, but we will for sure get more ints and more pressure. The defense will be off the field longer so more rested.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncofanatik View Post
                      Seems like most people here, including slowik is scared of pressing on the line and blitzing more. He tends to play the "safe zone play" while giving up the 10-20 yard passes everytime hoping that will save his job. So we might get beat once in a while on the deep ball, but we will for sure get more ints and more pressure. The defense will be off the field longer so more rested.

exactly
                      sigpic

Comment

• update on the slowick improvment

we have improved to

27th in points allowed
                        3oth in yards allowed
                        28th in pass yards
                        29th in rush yards allowed

wait thats not an improvent...we have become one of the worst defenses of all time
                        sigpic

Comment

we have improved to

27th in points allowed
                          3oth in yards allowed
                          28th in pass yards

wait thats not an improvent...we have become one of the worst defenses of all time
                          I still say it's a combination of both poor scheming by slowik as well as god aweful talent in players
                          sigpic

Comment

we have improved to

27th in points allowed
                            3oth in yards allowed
                            28th in pass yards

That's seriously almost funny. Hahaha

Comment

• Originally posted by stnzed View Post

I agree that the defense has plenty of throwaway players who *should* be thrown away at the earliest opportunity. However, if you are really willing to take a wrecking ball to the roster like that, then the whole argument of keeping the DC for "continuity/chemistry's sake" gets a lot weaker.

Bring in a new DC, do a ground up rebuild using a mainly defensive draft and FA acquisitions... do it right. Yes, easier said than done.

Comment

Working...
                              X