Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Defense of the Defense....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Ohio Broncos View Post
    It doesn't help that Sammy Morris was over 100 yards rushing in his first nine carries. He left with an injury in the second quarter but he already had 135 yards.

    Matt Cassell was putrid last week against the Chargers, but this week he looked like Joe Montana against our pitiful D.

    Please don't defend the defense. The team as a whole royally sucked last night. So yeah, you can point to the turnovers but that's not the only reason. The defense gave up 41 points to a team that was only averaging 17.8 per game.

    But you can't candy coat that or spin that. That's ugly. Anytime the D gives up 41 points, we probably won't win either.
    The problem comes when the offense keeps getting a free pass.

    The defense recently has been giving up a lot of yards and big plays, but havent been giving up a lot of points......unless you count the points off turnovers. The offense has what 12 turnovers the last 3 games? We may as well be a 30th ranked OFFENSE!!! Thats ridiculous and it skews the defensive ppg numbers in a major way.....better field position, more possessions. In a game where we dont turn the ball over I dont believe we'd be giving up 30+ points anymore, as evidence by TB.
    Last edited by Return of Lava; 10-21-2008, 01:05 PM.
    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

    I tried to warn ya.

    Comment


    • #17
      I hear you... It's like the Yanks blaming losses on Rasner & Ponson... Yanks are built to win with offense... the pitching is only supposed to keep them in the game.

      This is the same with this year's Broncos squad. All the emphasis is on scoring points... on the offense! Hard to win when you're scoring one TD a game,a nd when you keep sending the defense back on the field turning the ball over time and time again.

      FIVE turnovers last lat, on drive ends on a terrible PI flag on Marshall. That's SIX drives folks. You get like 10 a game.

      This has been the same in all three losses... AND, let's not forget the offense choked BIG TIME against SD & NO (turning the ball over on the goalline three times in those 2 games, late in the 4th).

      The defense did enough to keep DEN close last night... THEN the Bailey brothers got hurt and the wheels came off.

      I realize the offense is missing pieces, and the injury to Cutler hurt. Still, there's still a problem. Maybe after the BYE when Stoke, Scheff, Young & Torain return to action... the balance will return. I mean, the offensive line has been great so the foundation for success does indeed exist.

      STILL... Cutler is making WAY too many mental mistakes. Last night... 3rd & 3, near midfield, with the score 13-0... He throws a bomb, deep to Jax even though he's doubled, and the throw is picked off? MAN, just dump it for 5 yards, get the first....

      WITH THAT SAID... Did anyone notice late in the game... NE is driving... Third down... I hear a BRONCO defensive player yell DRAW... the ball is snapped... it is a draw... up the middle... and it goes for like 20 yards?

      Comment


      • #18
        I'm not suggesting we would've won last nights game due to Cutler's injury but the most urgent area to be addressed on this team is BALL SECURITY! We have ample tallent to be competitive in every game on both sides of the ball but if we don't kick this trend we will have a very dissapointing season! If I'm not mistaken we have 12 turnovers in the three losses...is that correct!
        " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by DiegoBRONCOFAN View Post
          I'm not suggesting we would've won last nights game due to Cutler's injury but the most urgent area to be addressed on this team is BALL SECURITY! We have ample tallent to be competitive in every game on both sides of the ball but if we don't kick this trend we will have a very dissapointing season! If I'm not mistaken we have 12 turnovers in the three losses...is that correct!
          Last night's injury was unfortunate and it did wreak havoc on Shanny's game plan. After MIA and SD lit up the pathetic pass defense of NE... You know we were going to attack that. PATS give up a lot of BIG plays, deep down the field... SO, having Scheffler & Stoke hurt... That didn't help... BUT, when Cutler hurt his finger... That killed everything they worked on all week.

          THEN, even Pittman goes down. OUCH!

          BUT... NE is good against the run... They have a solid front 7. SO, what could DEN do? THE QB was hurt... We had to go with our 4th string RB, we were w/out our TE and our slot WR... THEN, we fall behind and are forced to pass and the QB cannot feel two of his fingers?

          This is not an excuse but we have to realize this was not the real BRONCOS.

          AND, this was a terrible team to play with this... AGAIN, NE is vulnerable to the deep ball... When we are healthy... this is our strength.

          You noticed how well Pittman ran early. Imagine if we were at full strength... YOUNG, TORAIN, PITTMAN setting up the pass... running the ball... Cutler then hitting Marsh, Stoke, Royal... Scheffler would have burned anyone who guarded him.

          BUT, Cutler couldn't even throw the ball 10 feet, and the one time he threw it the play was negated b/c of some phantom PI call of Marsh, which basically turned the tide of the game.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
            The problem comes when the offense keeps getting a free pass.

            The defense recently has been giving up a lot of yards and big plays, but havent been giving up a lot of points......unless you count the points off turnovers. The offense has what 12 turnovers the last 3 games? We may as well be a 30th ranked OFFENSE!!! Thats ridiculous and it skews the defensive ppg numbers in a major way.....better field position, more possessions. In a game where we dont turn the ball over I dont believe we'd be giving up 30+ points anymore, as evidence by TB.
            These are good points. Bottom line question ... which unit right now is MOST disappointing? It would be easy to say the defense, but I go with the offense. The defense wasn't expected to be great all the way back to TC. We all probably wish that they were showing more improvement than they have, but this team was clearly built to compete this year with Offense.

            For the first 3 games, the Offense lived up to expectations. Since, they have been terrible. Don't forget - these 5 turnovers last night didn't all come during 'catch up' football. If the Broncos' offense - during the last 2 weeks - had been the same unit as the first 3 games, the outcomes would have been quite different. Instead of turnovers they'd be scoring points and putting the opposing team - NE and Jax - on the short end. They could have been up 21-3 vs. Jax and 14-6 or better on NE if the offense was playing with the same precision as the first 3 games. The defense gave the offense the opportunity to build a lead - the offense did not do it.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
              Last night's injury was unfortunate and it did wreak havoc on Shanny's game plan. After MIA and SD lit up the pathetic pass defense of NE... You know we were going to attack that. PATS give up a lot of BIG plays, deep down the field... SO, having Scheffler & Stoke hurt... That didn't help... BUT, when Cutler hurt his finger... That killed everything they worked on all week.

              THEN, even Pittman goes down. OUCH!

              BUT... NE is good against the run... They have a solid front 7. SO, what could DEN do? THE QB was hurt... We had to go with our 4th string RB, we were w/out our TE and our slot WR... THEN, we fall behind and are forced to pass and the QB cannot feel two of his fingers?

              This is not an excuse but we have to realize this was not the real BRONCOS.

              AND, this was a terrible team to play with this... AGAIN, NE is vulnerable to the deep ball... When we are healthy... this is our strength.

              You noticed how well Pittman ran early. Imagine if we were at full strength... YOUNG, TORAIN, PITTMAN setting up the pass... running the ball... Cutler then hitting Marsh, Stoke, Royal... Scheffler would have burned anyone who guarded him.

              BUT, Cutler couldn't even throw the ball 10 feet, and the one time he threw it the play was negated b/c of some phantom PI call of Marsh, which basically turned the tide of the game.

              I'm not in any way disputing that we were limited in our game plan after Cutlers injury. I'm however disputing that if we continue to turn the ball over 4-5 times a game (even with all of our players 100% healthy) we will lose more than we will win. With that said, we had three turnovers that weren't related to Cutler or his injury that are and were completely inexcusable!
              " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by DiegoBRONCOFAN View Post
                I'm not in any way disputing that we were limited in our game plan after Cutlers injury. I'm however disputing that if we continue to turn the ball over 4-5 times a game (even with all of our players 100% healthy) we will lose more than we will win. With that said, we had three turnovers that weren't related to Cutler or his injury that are and were completely inexcusable!
                3 turnovers came via Ramsey-Hall. We know if these guys are forced to play, we aint winning anyway.

                Have to hope if Cutler stays on the field... And if Young, Torain, Pittman stay healthy... Things will improve.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                  3 turnovers came via Ramsey-Hall. We know if these guys are forced to play, we aint winning anyway.

                  Have to hope if Cutler stays on the field... And if Young, Torain, Pittman stay healthy... Things will improve.
                  Our starters have turned the ball over more than our back-ups have. Let's see if I can get this correct:

                  Cutler- 6
                  Marshall- 2
                  Royal- 1

                  I'm just saying that it's our biggest problem that we're facing right now.
                  " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by DiegoBRONCOFAN View Post
                    Our starters have turned the ball over more than our back-ups have. Let's see if I can get this correct:

                    Cutler- 6
                    Marshall- 2
                    Royal- 1

                    I'm just saying that it's our biggest problem that we're facing right now.

                    I can't argue with that. KC made a great play on Royal... Marsh had two costly fumbles and Cutler is trying to hard to make something happen, making some poor decisions. I totally agree with that.

                    I just feel when we get everyone healthy again... Things will be better. especially if this Torain is as good as the coaches fell he might be.

                    These are young kids... Mistakes will happen. We must endure!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X