Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shanny compares our "D" with the Colts SB "D"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    Al Wilson?
    He retired.

    Theres no one else left I can think of & the trade deadline was yesterday.

    Comment


    • #17
      Just Face It!!!

      What you see is what you get. The defense we have now is the defense we will have at seasons end. Im not saying they wont get a little bit better, but not enough to get us to the super bowl.

      There isn't ONE player that we could have traded for that could single handedly win games for us, so why give up the picks that our defense so desperately needs.

      Our offense is YOUNG. Its not like our offense is on its last leg and this year is our last chance to win before our offense falls apart. We will have many excellent years on offense ahead of us. We just need to make sure that we get our defense up to a respectable level before the time comes that our Offense does fall apart.

      I still think we will make the playoffs, but I don't think we will make the Super Bowl. Before this season started, no one thought we would be in a position to win our division and now we are. So in my mind our offense is just ahead of schedule.
      09-17-08: OFFICIALLY BACKING JARVIS MOSS TO TURN INTO ONE HELL OF A DEFENSIVE END WITHIN THE NEXT TWO YEARS.-we are all allowed one mistake, right?

      Loved McD 's first full FA. Can't wait to see the draft.

      2010 Draft WISHlist:

      Any center since we don't have one.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by MindField View Post
        He once (favorably) compared Brian Griese to Joe Montana as well...

        But, hey, HE IS the Mastermind, right?
        actually he compared their arm strength, not the overall ability...
        Darcel McBath 2009 Adopt-a-Bronco

        McDaniel's Assistant Assylum: Defensive Line Coach

        Jay Cutler 336-555 3666 yards 27 TD 26 INT 7W 9L
        vs.
        Kyle Orton 336-541 3802 yards 21 TD 12 INT 8W 8L
        Robert Ayers 18 Tackles 1 TD
        First Round Pick TBA

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by FireShanahan View Post
          No, I'm not bashing Shanny this time. I'm just saying. lol. We always start out good then we end up missing the playoffs

          It's bad Karma

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
            HOLY WALL OF TEXT!

            next time dont use punctuation or spaces that would be so cool~

            Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
            My eyes feel like burning!!!!
            Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
            If our defense was just like this text, we would be fine because I'm having a hard time to read it.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by MindField View Post
              He once (favorably) compared Brian Griese to Joe Montana as well...

              But, hey, HE IS the Mastermind, right?
              Putzier to Shockey, Torain to Davis, Moss to Haley, Colbert to McCaffrey, Scheffler to Gonzales just to name a few more.

              He's full of these comparisons, completely full of 'em, but at least he didn't say he's got a stronger arm than Elway......them's fightin words around here......

              Comment


              • #22
                October 19th, 2000. "I see Joe Montana in Brian Griese."--Mike Shanahan

                Originally posted by Goatmaster View Post
                actually he compared their arm strength, not the overall ability...
                http://extras.denverpost.com/scolumns/kiz1019.htm

                "People will say, 'Well, gosh, aren't you going out on a wire to compare Brian Griese to Joe Montana?' No. Because I believe it," Shanahan insisted Wednesday.

                He stopped short of saying Griese is Montana, but he flat out compared Griese to Montana.

                If he were just comparing arm strength, there are thousands of Smart/RagArmed QB's that have come through the league that Shanahan could have compared Griese to, but he chose Montana.

                Shanahan has since back-peddled about the comparison, and comparing just arm strength/reading defenses/leadership ability is like comparing your VW to a Porsche because they both have German engineering. "I see Joe Montana in Brian Griese." goes way beyond just a casual skill comparison.

                He could have compared Griese to anybody, he chose Montana because he is the king of hype, it made him look like a fool......

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by stnzed View Post

                  He could have compared Griese to anybody, he chose Montana because he is the king of hype, it made him look like a fool......
                  Only to those that take every single comparison he makes to heart and takes them literally. How can anyone take any of these comparisons literally???

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by MindField View Post
                    He once (favorably) compared Brian Griese to Joe Montana as well...

                    But, hey, HE IS the Mastermind, right?
                    lol...bill walsh...did the same...only said Plummer instead

                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                      Only to those that take every single comparison he makes to heart and takes them literally. How can anyone take any of these comparisons literally???
                      I don't take them half as literally/seriously as he means them, and I don't believe for a second that he didn't want people to take the Griese/Montana comparison literally.

                      Just like when he says this years defense will be a defense to be reckoned with, he wants people to believe it.

                      Some fans are willing to bet the kids college fund that Ryan Torain is going to be The Next Terrell Davis not because of his ability but because Shanahan said so, people do take his BS literally.

                      One of these day's he'll get a comparison right and almost nobody will be surprised......

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                        I don't take them half as literally/seriously as he means them, and I don't believe for a second that he didn't want people to take the Griese/Montana comparison literally.

                        Just like when he says this years defense will be a defense to be reckoned with, he wants people to believe it.

                        Some fans are willing to bet the kids college fund that Ryan Torain is going to be The Next Terrell Davis not because of his ability but because Shanahan said so, people do take his BS literally.

                        One of these day's he'll get a comparison right and almost nobody will be surprised......
                        heh.........................

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Drunk Bronco View Post
                          lol...bill walsh...did the same...only said Plummer instead
                          Well, if you look at W/L record with the Broncos, Plummer was a very successful QB. It is not suprise to me that his play declined here, because Shanahan tried to reel him in and make him somethiong he wasn't.

                          I actually thought Jake Plummer could have been great here, but I thgink Shanahan short-circuited him by messing with him. His best years were the first couple he had here, and when he had Rod Smith, Eddie Mac and Shannon Sharpe and Clinton Portis.....after his first year, they traded Portis, Eddie Mac and Shannon Sharpe retired.

                          Put it this way, Walsh was alot closer to being right with Plummer than Shanahan was with Griese.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by MindField View Post
                            Well, if you look at W/L record with the Broncos, Plummer was a very successful QB. It is not suprise to me that his play declined here, because Shanahan tried to reel him in and make him somethiong he wasn't.

                            I actually thought Jake Plummer could have been great here, but I thgink Shanahan short-circuited him by messing with him. His best years were the first couple he had here, and when he had Rod Smith, Eddie Mac and Shannon Sharpe and Clinton Portis.....after his first year, they traded Portis, Eddie Mac and Shannon Sharpe retired.

                            Put it this way, Walsh was alot closer to being right with Plummer than Shanahan was with Griese.
                            Either way, they were extreme comparisons that people shouldn't take seriously.. EVER. NEVEr take any quote of a person,fan, coach, or mother comparing a player to a known great.... period.

                            But Jake Plummer NEVER would have been great. Thats why the changes needed to be made.. the BEST year he had was after the coaches held his hand during the offseason and forced him to watch tape and re-evaluate every one of his 20+ INTs for the previous season. The last thing his play did when here was DECLINE when he was not only decreasing his INTs, but increasing his yardage and passing%.

                            Jake was an average QB at best, with above average feet. Nothing more, and Walsh was NO closer to any comparisons to Montana than Shanahan was.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                              Either way, they were extreme comparisons that people shouldn't take seriously.. EVER. NEVEr take any quote of a person,fan, coach, or mother comparing a player to a known great.... period.

                              But Jake Plummer NEVER would have been great. Thats why the changes needed to be made.. the BEST year he had was after the coaches held his hand during the offseason and forced him to watch tape and re-evaluate every one of his 20+ INTs for the previous season. The last thing his play did when here was DECLINE when he was not only decreasing his INTs, but increasing his yardage and passing%.

                              Jake was an average QB at best, with above average feet. Nothing more, and Walsh was NO closer to any comparisons to Montana than Shanahan was.

                              You are wrong.

                              Jake Plummer was a very good QB at times.

                              He led Arizona St to a Rose Bowl berth, something that never happens.

                              He led Arizona to a playoff win against Dallas, defeating Aikman, Emmitt and Co. IN DALLAS, something that never happened with the Cardinals before he got there, or since he left.

                              He was the leader of the first team to hand Brady/Belichick their first Playoff loss here in Denver, and I believe he has the highest winning percentage for a starting QB in Broncos history including Elway, although I am not 100% sure.

                              None of that stuff happened by accident, although that's the way he gets portrayed, which is a joke.

                              If the Broncos would have let him do what he did in his first year with the Broncos, maybe they could have won a Super Bowl with him.

                              Lesser QB's have won SB's in the past...but once they drafted Cutler, it was all over. Jake shut it down, and became disenchanted with the Broncos, Shanahan and the NFL in general.

                              I really can't blame him. Shanahan was an ass. He knew what he was getting and tried to make him into something he was not..the old sqaure peg, round hole deal.

                              Everybody, including Shanahan, blames Plummer for the AFC Championship game loss to the Steelers,
                              when the Broncos were favored, but the truth was, the Broncos running game had dried up. Mike Anderson had flamed out. We were down to one legit WR in Rod Smith, and Plummer did not cover or tackle, and was not responsible for Ben Roethlisberger ripping the Broncos apart on third down...funny how that remains the problem of the defense now, isn't it?

                              Part of being a great coach is understanding what you have, and how to make the most of it.

                              Clearly, Shanahan failed Plummer more than Plummer failed the Broncos or their fans.

                              I admire Plummer for giving the Broncos and the NFL the finger, and walking away on his own terms, and with his dignity.

                              The writer that was in the Broncos camp that last season chronicled the Shanahan/Plummer releationship, and it was completely toxic in the end, and Shanahan has to take part of the blame for that.

                              Plummer was not the most dedicated QB in the League, and would never watch as much film as Peyton Manning, but he was a different cat.

                              He was not Manning or Elway, but he was closer to Bret Favre and Kenny Stabler, and last I checked, those guys have Super Bowl rings too.

                              It's up to the Head Coach to realize what kind of player he has, and if Shanahan did not want what Plummer brought to the table, he should have not signed him.

                              Clearly, it was just a bad marriage that was destined to fail.
                              Last edited by MindField; 10-15-2008, 07:50 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by MindField View Post
                                If the Broncos would have let him do what they did in his first year with the Broncos, maybe they could have won a Super Bowl with him.

                                Lesser QB's have won SB's oin the past...but once they drafteed Plummer, it was all over. He shut it down and became disenchanted with the Broncos, Shanahan and the NFL in general.
                                Yes... Jake was good "at times."

                                But, why do you keep bringing up his first season with teh Broncos as if that was his best season? It wasn't. The best year with the Broncos, in every catagory, was the THIRD year once they were able to actually get Plummer to real buy into the system. Jake was a TERRIBLE pocket passer, and known for season after season after season of throwing over 20 INTs a year.

                                Also... Jake didn't have a bigger winning percentage with the Broncos, even in his best 3 year stretch wasn't as good as the Elway led Broncos from '96 - -98.. if you count all four years, he still doesn't meet the win percentage of '95 through 98.

                                yes.. once they drafted Cutler (I know what you meant), he pouted and shut down. He saw the writing on the wall, as he should have.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X