Rebuilding our defense...a call to calm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding our defense...a call to calm

As I continue to read posts of "Worst D in History", "Fire Slowik", "Webster Sucks", "Manuel Sucks", etc. I just want to take a second to tell people to not lose sight of the big picture. We're in fact still in a re-build mode and with that said I don't quite understand the overwhelming critisism that has been placed on the defense/coaches. Unless of course you don't believe in this rebuild that I'm referring to. However, for your sanity's sake I do wish that those of you who have the mind set of "win now at all costs" don't lose sight of the big picture.

Our offense is almost complete. If Torain meets expectations, we're I believe one receiver/KR away from not even having to draft on that side of the ball in next years draft. So the defense will get a major overhaul through the draft much in the same regard that the offense has of late. Let's look forward to not only a remaining overachieving 2008 season but 2009 draft/season in which our defense should get an infussion of tallent much like the offense has received! We could than be looking at our very own modern day dynasty...the DENVER BRONCOS!
    " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

I think a big reason for the "fire so and so" is that we're doing better than people have expected before the season started. And since we were a few games up on SD, people expect us to play well all of the time and kinda forget the fact that we are rebuilding.

Now, had we stumbled out of the gate like many thought we would, you might not hear it as much.

The expectations changed when we got off to a good start. And when expectations are high, disappointment is inevitable

Comment

Originally posted by emac87 View Post
      I think a big reason for the "fire so and so" is that we're doing better than people have expected before the season started. And since we were a few games up on SD, people expect us to play well all of the time and kinda forget the fact that we are rebuilding.

Now, had we stumbled out of the gate like many thought we would, you might not hear it as much.

The expectations changed when we got off to a good start
      I completely understand and that's why I refered to this season as "the overachieving 2008 season". Our rebuild on offense has been faster and more successfull than anyone anticipated. So now the D needs to catch up...which I strongly believe it will.
      " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

Comment

Doesn't Shanny replace the entire D line almost annually?

Comment

We have to many needs to rebuild strictly through the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by bjohnson1969 View Post
            We have to many needs to rebuild strictly through the draft.
            Why are you so against the draft in every thread?

Our owner and coach have already publicly said that they are going in a new direction from the past and that they are going to build through the draft. We are still paying all kinds of cap dollars to FA misfits and traded for busts. They just cost WAY to much for what you get out of them.

I have a feeling that you are going to be very dissapointed in this team for the next few years.

Comment

building through the draft is the only way to go..........just see the elite teams.......they didn't get there by over paying for big names FA's, they built through the draft and extended there core players.........Shanny's just following the Chargers lead after the Chargers followed the Colts and Pats lead

Comment

Originally posted by RAWDOGG View Post
                Doesn't Shanny replace the entire D line almost annually?
                Up until his latest promise to build through the draft, yes. Other than Dewayne Robertson, we have the same Dlineman from last year. We only had so many draft picks and with the learning curve as steep as it is for Dlineman it was esential that we added at least one veteran last off-season.

Comment

Well, in short people are mad because the defense has been disappointing. It has to do with expectations to some degree, but even if we had stumbled out of the gate people would still be complaining about this defense.

It is a simple question really. How come every opposing qb has looked like a pro-bowler against this defense? Honestly I would like to know.

As fans we like a lot of the players on this defense so the first calls are for a change in management. Only after players fail in several schemes do we realize that it is due to a lack of talent in the player department.

So far the schemes we have run have been disappointing. Some of the players obviously are not living up to expectations. Neither is going to be fixed by one draft or one season. I truly believe the discontent from the fans about our defense comes from the fact that there will be no quick fix. This is going to take some time, and with our offense showing signs of being really good that is disappointing. We all hunger for success.

Bottom line-> the stats don't lie. Our defense is not good at this point no matter what our record is. We all know this defense will not hold up in the event that we actually make the playoffs this year.

Comment

Well, I can't and won't argue the point of this D being bad. We've had problems with opposing qb's looking great against us for several years now. Shoot, I think that Tim Couch, Alex Smith, Michael Vick, Travarous Jackson all had career games against us in the last few years.

Bottom line is that we were 7-9 last season and didn't belong on the same field as the Chargers. This year we're 4-2, talking playoffs and beat the Chargers so we're a better team just not on D. It's not like we have an ageing offense so try to be as patient with the defensive rebuild as we were with the offense is all I'm asking. The offense took 2 years and now it's going to be the defense's turn...

Comment

Hasn't the D been 'rebuilding' since 99??
                      GOD BLESS the USA!!!! Support our TROOPS!!
                      GO BRONCOS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NEbronco View Post
                        Hasn't the D been 'rebuilding' since 99??
                        I'd say our pass rush has but we've been solid until last year.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoBRONCOFAN View Post
                          Well, I can't and won't argue the point of this D being bad. We've had problems with opposing qb's looking great against us for several years now. Shoot, I think that Tim Couch, Alex Smith, Michael Vick, Travarous Jackson all had career games against us in the last few years.

Bottom line is that we were 7-9 last season and didn't belong on the same field as the Chargers. This year we're 4-2, talking playoffs and beat the Chargers so we're a better team just not on D. It's not like we have an ageing offense so try to be as patient with the defensive rebuild as we were with the offense is all I'm asking. The offense took 2 years and now it's going to be the defense's turn...
                          I wouldn't say you are a better team then the Chargers entering week 7 of 17 week season......

I believe you guys were 3-3 at this point in the season last year?
                          Last edited by RAWDOGG; 10-15-2008, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RAWDOGG View Post
                            I wouldn't say you are a better team then the Chargers entering week 7 of 17 week season......
                            I think he was saying that we are a better team than we were in 07'. Why so defensive?

Comment

People get angry because our D is continually getting worse. If we really were in rebuilding, you either stay the same or get better. Or purge everyone and get extremely horrible then really good. We are doing nothing. We patch our defense which somehow makes it worse, and the scheme gets worse every year. Granted it takes a few years to fully learn a scheme, but you can tell if the scheme has potential, and slowicks scheme has no potential.

I think everyone expected to see our defense be around the 20th ranked in the league, not the 30-32nd ranked defense. We took like 2 steps back from last year on defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X