Rebuilding our defense...a call to calm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I think he was saying that we are a better team than we were in 07'. Why so defensive?
    Because he knows his team is going south for the winter.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

A few comments on our "disappointment" with the D:

1) Part of the disappointment comes from the fact that many of us truly believed that the young guns would step up this year. So yes, we are not where we thought we would be. We tend to assume that players will play incrementally better until they reach their peak. But that isn't always the case. I for one thought that Moss, Crowder and Thomas (who is definitely playing!) would all grow this year. Thomas is fine, but maybe the other two guys will gain the confidence and continue to learn the NFL game, and become good players down the road. Lets pull for them.
      2) Although we did not acquire studs via FA, some of us thought that the additions of Robertson, Boss, McCree and possibly one of the others, would also spell reasonable improvement. To their credit, they have contributed.
      3) Once again, changing the Coordinator should have alerted us that it would take some time. These changes are complex in terms of player cohesion and instinctive play. As for Slowik, the only issue I had early in the season was the lack of aggressive play on the pass rush. I will leave it at that for now.
      4) By winning the first few games, and with all the hype, as soon as the we smelled trouble I think many of us were shook up because the dream became reality......that is, we are not a SB contender, but we're better than we were last year. And the D is showing signs of redeeming itself.

Lets play it one week at a time. I think our D will gradually improve, and we'll likely see some on the new fellows get a shot. And if we play to our capabilities and make the playoffs, these players will grow even more. And definitely, I guess obviously, we will see some serious offseason selections and possibly acquisitions to fill any gaps that still exist.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        A few comments on our "disappointment" with the D:

1) Part of the disappointment comes from the fact that many of us truly believed that the young guns would step up this year. So yes, we are not where we thought we would be. We tend to assume that players will play incrementally better until they reach their peak. But that isn't always the case. I for one thought that Moss, Crowder and Thomas (who is definitely playing!) would all grow this year. Thomas is fine, but maybe the other two guys will gain the confidence and continue to learn the NFL game, and become good players down the road. Lets pull for them.
        2) Although we did not acquire studs via FA, some of us thought that the additions of Robertson, Boss, McCree and possibly one of the others, would also spell reasonable improvement. To their credit, they have contributed.
        3) Once again, changing the Coordinator should have alerted us that it would take some time. These changes are complex in terms of player cohesion and instinctive play. As for Slowik, the only issue I had early in the season was the lack of aggressive play on the pass rush. I will leave it at that for now.
        4) By winning the first few games, and with all the hype, as soon as the we smelled trouble I think many of us were shook up because the dream became reality......that is, we are not a SB contender, but we're better than we were last year. And the D is showing signs of redeeming itself.

Lets play it one week at a time. I think our D will gradually improve, and we'll likely see some on the new fellows get a shot. And if we play to our capabilities and make the playoffs, these players will grow even more. And definitely, I guess obviously, we will see some serious offseason selections and possibly acquisitions to fill any gaps that still exist.
        Very nice post!

At this level, all of these players are physically gifted. There is some seperation obviously between players but you can overcome much of the physical gap by being familiar and comfortable with your own players and scheme. We have as I count, between 7 and 8 new players that are either new to the team, first year starters or playing a new position at any given time on the field right now. This defense will get better as the season wears on but it won't be great.

We took the patch work approach to filling holes this past off season (because we had to) which left us better but still not where we need to be. The only way we will get there is by sticking to 1 scheme so these guys can get comfortable with their assignments and start reacting to plays instead of thinking before reacting.
        " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

Comment

Originally posted by RAWDOGG View Post
          building through the draft is the only way to go..........just see the elite teams.......they didn't get there by over paying for big names FA's, they built through the draft and extended there core players.........Shanny's just following the Chargers lead after the Chargers followed the Colts and Pats lead
          I seriously doubt that Shanny is following the lead of a team that can't win in the playoffs (Chargers). If he's following any lead at all, it's the Pats or Colts. Shanny wants to build a team that can win SBs, not a team that chokes before getting there.
          Looking forward to a great 2009 season!

Comment

Originally posted by hardings77 View Post
            I seriously doubt that Shanny is following the lead of a team that can't win in the playoffs (Chargers). If he's following any lead at all, it's the Pats or Colts. Shanny wants to build a team that can win SBs, not a team that chokes before getting there.
            I stopped reading right there.........just because you don't know what you are talking about

Comment

Putting MEcree on the bench is a good start to shoring up your defensive problems

Comment

I stopped reading right there.........just because you don't know what you are talking about
                I know, I know. It's gotta be tough watching your boys blow it in the playoffs year after year (that is, when they get into the playoffs, anyway). I suppose a franchise playoff record of 9-13 does mean that they have won a few games. And they even made it to the Super Bowl once, and lost. To me, that sounds like a franchise full of playoff blunders, and the word "choke" most certainly comes into mind. So, yeah, I have no clue what I'm talking about, except that all the numbers support my arguement.

Comment

I know, I know. It's gotta be tough watching your boys blow it in the playoffs year after year (that is, when they get into the playoffs, anyway). I suppose a franchise playoff record of 9-13 does mean that they have won a few games. And they even made it to the Super Bowl once, and lost. To me, that sounds like a franchise full of playoff blunders, and the word "choke" most certainly comes into mind. So, yeah, I have no clue what I'm talking about, except that all the numbers support my arguement.
                  You were referring to the current Chargers, who won two playoff games last year

Comment

You were referring to the current Chargers, who won two playoff games last year
                    And choked in the AFC championship, yeah that team. And the same team that choked in playoffs the season before that, and the season before that. Yep, the current Chargers. But to gauge playoff success with appearances and games won is kind of silly if you can't make it to the show, and win. The same could be said about the Broncos in the early 90's. Then we won, and therefore have removed ourselves from the list of those who choke in the playoffs. One day the Chargers will get there too, but they need to get rid of Norv first.

Comment

And choked in the AFC championship, yeah that team. And the same team that choked in playoffs the season before that, and the season before that. Yep, the current Chargers. But to gauge playoff success with appearances and games won is kind of silly if you can't make it to the show, and win. The same could be said about the Broncos in the early 90's. Then we won, and therefore have removed ourselves from the list of those who choke in the playoffs. One day the Chargers will get there too, but they need to get rid of Norv first.

Dude you ar way off....You want choking....What about our decade long play-off record. You do realise that in the past 10 years we have half as many wins as the Chargers had last year. They didnt choke in the AFC Championship... They lost on the road to a team featuring the MVP (And maybe the best playoff QB of all time... Only one that I remember that might be better is Montana), with a WR who came off probably the greatest recieving year ever...oh and did I mention that they were 17-0. Hoiw is that a choke? Didnt Denver choke in 05 when we lost at home in the AFC Champ to a sixth seeded wild card team? You really need to get your facts straight. Our titles were a long time ago, and outside of those two years we have choked time and agian in the playoffs....
                      Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

If they actually do stick to the plan of rebuilding the defense through the draft then it will be a multi-year fix, but at that point it will be much improved. Now it remains to be seen if they stick to the plan or get impatient and spend big for free agents. Obviously a few free agents here and there are going to be necessary, especially on d-line, but otherwise we need to bring in young talent.

At the same time we can't forget about the offense either. We have a similar team to what the Bengals had a few years ago, great offense and bad defense. I've seen the Bengals go through 3 drafts now where they basically ignore the offense; their defense hasn't made significant strides, and now their offense has deteriorated to the point at which we see it now. So as much as the defense needs to improve, the staple of the Broncos is offense and we can't neglect it come draft time.
                        sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos724 View Post
                          If they actually do stick to the plan of rebuilding the defense through the draft then it will be a multi-year fix, but at that point it will be much improved. Now it remains to be seen if they stick to the plan or get impatient and spend big for free agents. Obviously a few free agents here and there are going to be necessary, especially on d-line, but otherwise we need to bring in young talent.

At the same time we can't forget about the offense either. We have a similar team to what the Bengals had a few years ago, great offense and bad defense. I've seen the Bengals go through 3 drafts now where they basically ignore the offense; their defense hasn't made significant strides, and now their offense has deteriorated to the point at which we see it now. So as much as the defense needs to improve, the staple of the Broncos is offense and we can't neglect it come draft time.
                          Nice post and great job with the Bengal's comparison.

Talking Broncos, other than adding one more WR and a possible RB I just don't see a pressing need to draft anywhere else offensively next year. Yes, we may need a Center if Lichtenstigher doesn't work out or depth at Guard or Tackle but I can see our early picks likely go to defense for the next few years. Hopefully we can strike gold on a few because we would/could really be something good/great for many years!
                          " A kickers success is dependent upon his teams failure"...by SorryAss ChargerFans

Comment

Working...
                          X