Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Key Matchup:Shanahan vs. Belichick. Offensive genius vs. Defensive genius (article)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Matchup:Shanahan vs. Belichick. Offensive genius vs. Defensive genius (article)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Denver coach Mike Shanahan vs. New England coach Bill Belichick

Mike Shanahan has 150 career wins. Bill Belichick has 145. At some time in the future, these two will be together in Canton, enshrined at the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I have had a relationship with both coaches for many years, and both are special people. Both have outstanding awareness of things going on outside of football -- they would be successful at anything they did. That said, only one of them will be successful when they meet on Monday night.

There is much more to this matchup than merely offensive mastermind versus defensive mastermind. Both were born in 1952 (Shanahan is just a few days younger than Belichick). Both are the face of their franchise. Both had been fired from their first head coaching jobs -- Shanahan in Oakland, Belichick in Cleveland.

Both men are risk-takers. Shanahan traded Clinton Portis after Portis had rushed for 3,099 and 29 TDs in two seasons. Belichick traded for Randy Moss, which was considered a big risk at the time. Between them, Belichick (3) and Shanahan (2) have won five Super Bowls as head coaches.

Shanahan is considered to be an offensive genius, going back to his days as a college coach at Minnesota and Florida. He's great at making offensive adjustments at halftime, and is an outstanding play caller. Belichick is the king of defensive matchups, going back to his days as defensive coordinator with the New York Giants when they won Super Bowls in 1986 and 1990.

Belichick's modus operandi is to identify the oppoent's top offensive threat and find a way to neutralize that player. That might be Broncos WR Brandon Marshall, so it will be interesting to see what Belichick does to take Marshall out of the game -- and what Shanahan does to counter.

These coaches have faced each other seven times, and Shanahan holds a 5-2 edge -- including a win in the 2006 divisional playoffs, which featured a 100-yard INT return that kept New England from taking the lead in the third quarter. Interestingly, the player who made that INT was Champ Bailey, who just happens to be the compensation from the Portis trade.

Good Read.
    Last edited by Bronco-24; 10-16-2008, 12:44 PM.
    Originally posted by darth-hideous
    Champ losing a step, just means the rest of the NFL is now only two steps behind.
    Adopted by: CanDB & Peanut

It states that Shanny is an offensive genius and great at making halftime adjustments......

Seems like this year we are a completely different team come 2nd half, and not in a good way. The offense has faltered and faded during the 2nd half in most games this season.

I think we have been outcoached in at least half the games this year.

Comment

Originally posted by emac87 View Post
      It states that Shanny is an offensive genius and great at making halftime adjustments......

Seems like this year we are a completely different team come 2nd half, and not in a good way. The offense has faltered and faded during the 2nd half in most games this season.

I think we have been outcoached in at least half the games this year.
      I was just about to say the same thing...

He's great at making offensive adjustments at halftime
      Denver is one of the WORST teams to adjust at halftime....

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
        I was just about to say the same thing...

Denver is one of the WORST teams to adjust at halftime....
        ESPECIALLY on defense. It's like we come out in the 2nd half and wait and see what the other team is going to do before we make adjustment when they should have been during the break.

Comment

ESPECIALLY on defense. It's like we come out in the 2nd half and wait and see what the other team is going to do before we make adjustment when they should have been during the break.
          Great reflection guys. Someone says something positive about our coach and our team and leave it to the "Whoa is me!!!" crowd to take the air out of the tires.

I'm sure for you guys the glass is always half empty but hey we can't all be optimists, right?

Thanks for the read Bronco-24. CP coming your way.

Comment

Originally posted by // / yardo View Post
            Great reflection guys. Someone says something positive about our coach and our team and leave it to the "Whoa is me!!!" crowd to take the air out of the tires.

I'm sure for you guys the glass is always half empty but hey we can't all be optimists, right?

So you agree with the article that we make good adjustments at halftime? This article is predicated on the past, not the current season.

I'm not a glass half empty guy. I usually don't bash in my posts, even if it's Slowik, Bly, Manuel, etc.

I currently am a defensive coach and it is plain obvious that there is little, if any defensive adjustments in the 2nd half. Look at some of the games where we have been outscored big time in the 2nd half. That's not adjusting to the other team's adjustments.

Comment

Aw c'mon Yardo.

I'm not going to sit here and blow sunshine up the asses of Shanahan or the author.... I know what Shanahan can call offensively, especially at the beginnings of games.

But the author made a stupid comment. It's been proven TIME after TIME that Denver is one of the worst teams to adjust after halftime.

From last year against the Chargers on SNF, to games this year. We just can't adjust, and it clearly hurts our team.

Comment

So you agree with the article that we make good adjustments at halftime? This article is predicated on the past, not the current season.

I'm not a glass half empty guy. I usually don't bash in my posts, even if it's Slowik, Bly, Manuel, etc.

I currently am a defensive coach and it is plain obvious that there is little, if any defensive adjustments in the 2nd half. Look at some of the games where we have been outscored big time in the 2nd half. That's not adjusting to the other team's adjustments.
                I think the article was about our offensive adjustments though. While personally I feel that our 3rd quarters have been unspectacular to say the least, I wonder if that hasnt been (at least in the 1st 3 games) because we had done so well in the 1st half that the players relaxed a little and lost some intensity? Possible?

Comment

Originally posted by knoxman36and2 View Post
                  I think the article was about our offensive adjustments though. While personally I feel that our 3rd quarters have been unspectacular to say the least, I wonder if that hasnt been (at least in the 1st 3 games) because we had done so well in the 1st half that the players relaxed a little and lost some intensity? Possible?
                  It was about the offense and I got off track and brought up the defense. But regarding the offense, it definitely hasn't been as good in the 2nd half as it has been in the 1st half.

You could be right that with big leads, they may be relaxing somewhat. But why should they make adjustment if they're scoring a lot of points in the 1st half?..... They shouldn't. Not until they see that the opponent's defense can stop them. Once the opponent's defense shows it made the adjustments to stop our offense, then we need to make adjustments to adjust to their adjusted defense. haha. I'm almost confusing myself

Comment

It was about the offense and I got off track and brought up the defense. But regarding the offense, it definitely hasn't been as good in the 2nd half as it has been in the 1st half.

You could be right that with big leads, they may be relaxing somewhat. But why should they make adjustment if they're scoring a lot of points in the 1st half?..... They shouldn't. Not until they see that the opponent's defense can stop them. Once the opponent's defense shows it made the adjustments to stop our offense, then we need to make adjustments to adjust to their adjusted defense. haha. I'm almost confusing myself
                    I managed to follow what you were saying though and that may account somewhat for why our 3rd quarters have been semidead and then we come back stronger in the 4th quarter. I would really hate to think it takes an entire quarter though to see that the defense has adjusted and to make our own changes to get back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by knoxman36and2 View Post
                      I managed to follow what you were saying though and that may account somewhat for why our 3rd quarters have been semidead and then we come back stronger in the 4th quarter. I would really hate to think it takes an entire quarter though to see that the defense has adjusted and to make our own changes to get back on track.
                      I agree. It should only take a series, maybe 2. Most of it, in my opinion, has been that we have big leads at the half and the younger players get into cruise mode in the 2nd half.

Shanny has said this the last couple weeks that the team needs to put a full game together. Not a quarter or a quarter and a half.

Comment

My point is why criticize in here anyway? There's enough of that BS from the self loathing Bronco fans; dare I call them fans.

Whether or not we adjust well or not is that really all you can take from the article?

The Pats are THE "Team of the Decade" and Shanahan and Co. has owned them all but two times. Chances are, if we don't beat them that year in the playoffs then they take the crown.

You don't think that doesn't burn a hole in Belichick's ass? Hell yeah it does.

The way I look at it, that's something to be proud of as a Bronco fan!

Comment

I agree. It should only take a series, maybe 2. Most of it, in my opinion, has been that we have big leads at the half and the younger players get into cruise mode in the 2nd half.

Shanny has said this the last couple weeks that the team needs to put a full game together. Not a quarter or a quarter and a half.
                          As I get older my memory begins to fail me...have we really had that much of a lead the last three games though? I'm thinking it certainly wasnt the case in KC, but unless I look up the game data I cant say for sure. If we HAVENT had that dominant lead in the last 3 games then it blows my theory completely out of the water at least after the 1st 3 games.

Comment

We haven't done well with halftime adjustments the past couple of years.... but Shanny still has a good reputation for it...

It's a lot easier to make adjustments at half with Elway, TD and Rod...

it's should be easier going forward into the future with Jay and Brandon and Royal.

Comment

My point is why criticize in here anyway? There's enough of that BS from the self loathing Bronco fans; dare I call them fans.

Whether or not we adjust well or not is that really all you can take from the article?

The Pats are THE "Team of the Decade" and Shanahan and Co. has owned them all but two times. Chances are, if we don't beat them that year in the playoffs then they take the crown.

You don't think that doesn't burn a hole in Belichick's ass? Hell yeah it does.

The way I look at it, that's something to be proud of as a Bronco fan!
                              Honestly I'm not meaning to criticize. Personally I still think Shannahan is the Mastermind he has always been. It did turn into an interesting discussion though and was enjoyable to speculate about what, where, when, and why.

Comment

Working...
                              X