Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Article about Shanny's domination over Belichick...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article about Shanny's domination over Belichick...

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/f...ts#articleFull

Mike Shanahan success
    Bill Belichick’s true nemesis
    By Karen Guregian / Patriots Notebook
    Monday, October 20, 2008 - Updated 5h ago
    + Recent Articles Boston Herald General Sports Reporter and Columnist

FOXBORO - There aren’t very many head coaches who have enjoyed the upper hand over Bill Belichick since he took over the reins of the Patriots [team stats].

But one name certainly comes to mind: Mike Shanahan.

The Denver Broncos coach currently holds considerable bragging rights. He’s 5-2 against the Belichick-led Patriots - 4-2 in the regular season, 1-0 during the playoffs.

“We have had some great games. I just know what type of coach (Belichick) is and how good he is,” Shanahan said during a conference call. “You know you have to be at your best. You can’t give the game away. If you do lose the turnover battle or if you make a mistake here or there, you are going to get beat.”

Six other coaches - Detroit’s Gary Moeller (2000), Cleveland’s Chris Palmer (2000), Oakland’s Bill Callahan (2002), Green Bay’s Mike Sherman (2002), Washington’s Steve Spurrier (2003) and Miami’s Jim Bates (2004) and Tony Sparano (2008) - own a 1-0 mark against Belichick on the Pats’ sideline.

Shanahan, though, has had Belichick’s number because he always seems to come up with innovative offensive schemes to combat whatever Belichick has cooked up on defense.

“Mike is very good. I don’t think there is anyone better than Shanahan is as an offensive game-planner,” Belichick said of the two-time Super Bowl winner. “He creates a lot of problems for any defense. It doesn’t matter what you run, what coverages you play, or what front you play.

“He does a great job of attacking the defense and putting you in positions that are difficult. . . . He has a real good understanding of how to attack you and how to force you to adjust to a certain formation or a certain look and then how to attack it.”

No panic room

Rodney Harrison [stats] said the mood in the Pats locker room during the week was upbeat heading into tonight’s game.

“It’s very positive. Guys are working extremely hard. That’s all you can do,” Harrison said. “When you win, you have to keep focused and continue what you’re doing. When you lose, you’ve got to look at it, keep it in perspective, and keep working.”

The veteran safety said the perspective in the locker room is much different than what’s taking place around them.

“More people on the outside are panicking, as opposed to us panicking,” he said. “Since ’01, with the exception of ’02, we’ve had so much success here, they’re not used to us losing two out of three games, or anything like that. So everyone panics.

“But when you’re in this locker room, and you understand the nature of this league, how up and down it is . . . it’s such a turbulent league. We have a long season, and we know we have to steadily improve, and start playing better in November and December when it counts. So we’re not panicking, because there’s a lot of football to be played.”

Quiet return

Since returning from injury three games ago, tight end Benjamin Watson [stats] has caught just three passes. He didn’t want to talk about being wide open in the end zone on that fateful fourth-and-1 from the goal line against the Chargers, only to have Matt Cassel not see him.

“Every offensive player wants to be involved more, but we all have roles to play,” Watson said. “They all work together for the good of the team, for the good of the offense. Whatever that role is, that’s what I’m going to play.” . . .

Since 2003, the Pats have only lost once at home (10-1) in October. They’ve also won five straight times on Monday night.

CanDB's comments:

It can't hurt us that Shanny has had the upper hand. That is an important factor in competition. When you know you have beaten someone to the degree that Shanny has, you are one step up before the whistle blows. Conversely it makes Belichick think a lot harder. Anyone who's been in this situation knows that, no matter how hard you try, it weighs on you. And the fact that our QB is easily the better of the two tonight, makes NE's job that much harder. Not to mention that they just got crushed the week before. This isn't about the law of averages, it's about facts.

6-2 overall against the Pats tonite? I hope so

Comment

That's a nice W/L %, but every game is a new game, and I would not take the Pats for granted at all.

If Shanahan can get schooled by Gary Kubiak (last year) when the faced off for the first time ever, Bill can do the same thing in this match up.

Thanks for the read...

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
        That's a nice W/L %, but every game is a new game, and I would not take the Pats for granted at all.

If Shanahan can get schooled by Gary Kubiak (last year) when the faced off for the first time ever, Bill can do the same thing in this match up.

Thanks for the read...
        I wouldn't take the Pats, or for that matter, any team for granted in these days of parody and mystery. You are absolutely right. But I'm sure you agree, based on personal experience, nothing like having an upper hand going into a game or similar situation (minus their #1 player).

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          I wouldn't take the Pats, or for that matter, any team for granted in these days of parody and mystery. You are absolutely right. But I'm sure you agree, based on personal experience, nothing like have an upper hand going into a game or similar situation (minus their #1 player).
          Well I don't really know....

We played against the Chiefs against a career backup QB and got torched.

Yeah, "I've got the upper hand on you BILL" is a nice thing to think of and say, but it doesn't mean squat diddly poo tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
            Well I don't really know....

We played against the Chiefs against a career backup QB and got torched.

Yeah, "I've got the upper hand on you BILL" is a nice thing to think of and say, but it doesn't mean squat diddly poo tonight.
            "Squat diddly poo"....such strong words.....just kidding.

But this is where we part ways B4B6, as I am of the mindset that psychology enters the ring of sports and other fields, for sure. I disagree that it isn't a factor. It doesn't guarantee anything, but it's a factor. And the good news, in this case, it's in our favour.

Comment

"Squat diddly poo"....such strong words.....just kidding.

But this is where we part ways B4B6, as I am of the mindset that psychology enters the ring of sports and other fields, for sure. I disagree that it isn't a factor. It doesn't guarantee anything, but it's a factor. And the good news, in this case, it's in our favour.
              I believe the factor is that it forces an ultra-competetive coach like Bellichick to prepare even more diligently than he usually would (and that's a stretch), although it is a minor factor. I don't think stats like this get into the players heads at all.

No doubt Bellichick knows about it but I doubt it keeps him or his team up at night.

That being said, could be fun watching Deltha tonight...does he crumble and we all go HAHA, or does he step up against the team that ditched him and play very well?

Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

I was watching the CBS pre-game yesterday, and in talking about this game, coach Bill said "Denver is 4-1 in NE. That's a stat you can take to the bank."

If another coach thinks that stat (and everything behind it) is important..then it likely is.

B4B6 pointed out being beaten by Kubiak last year. That doesnt suprise me. Houston has some outstanding talent on their team, that is been playing as a team longer than Denvers new starters did last year.

Kubes know Shanny, and Shanny knows Kubes.
                It all comes down to execution on the field.
                Who will execute better tonight?
                sigpic
                Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                -Sean Payton

Comment

I think/assume that Mike gets up for the the Pats, just like he does for the Raiders, minus the hatred. I think for whatever reason for him, or well I feel like he just gets fired up for them more than some other teams.....Whatever the reason, Im glad he does...
                  Since 1974!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sean669 View Post
                    I think/assume that Mike gets up for the the Pats, just like he does for the Raiders, minus the hatred. I think for whatever reason for him, or well I feel like he just gets fired up for them more than some other teams.....Whatever the reason, Im glad he does...
                    I believe Mike will be more motivated than ever, and he will have prepared his guys extremely well. I believe you will see some innovative pla ydesign, because the more pumped Shanny gets, the more added dimension he seems to bring.

I'm just ticked, because I have to miss the game tonight.....

Comment

Originally posted by BroncFanIN View Post
                      I was watching the CBS pre-game yesterday, and in talking about this game, coach Bill said "Denver is 4-1 in NE. That's a stat you can take to the bank."

If another coach thinks that stat (and everything behind it) is important..then it likely is.
                      Amen!

But 4 and 1 isn't perfect, so I will leave some room for interpretation.....but the stat has some appeal for sure. As I have stated elsewhere, Shanny loves these matchups, and I'll bet you'll see some more interesting, innovative play design. I believe these rivalries make him more creative.....and that's a great thing if it's based on assessing the opponents' strengths/weaknesses. I'm sure he's done his homework!

Comment

I wouldn't take the Pats, or for that matter, any team for granted in these days of parody and mystery. You are absolutely right. But I'm sure you agree, based on personal experience, nothing like having an upper hand going into a game or similar situation (minus their #1 player).
                        Yeah seriously, I mean...
                        Winless Bengals almost beat the Cowboys in their home stadium.
                        St. Louis is coming off of 2 straight wins, both from top teams.
                        Miami, who won once last year, already has 2.
                        KC seems to suck every game they play except the one that broke Broncos' streak.
                        Houston is making a turnaround.

Detriot is the only team that hasn't really stunned anyone yet. But hey, you never know. Nothing can be expected this year in particular.

As for Denver, the stats look great but it would be a gamble if you just relied on that when making your predictions. I mean with all of the Broncos success and the Patriots downhill slide, they are still favored by 3 points.

sigpic

Comment

I believe Mike will be more motivated than ever, and he will have prepared his guys extremely well. I believe you will see some innovative pla ydesign, because the more pumped Shanny gets, the more added dimension he seems to bring.

I'm just ticked, because I have to miss the game tonight.....

Awe man...it's one of the only televised games I get out here in MD, something pretty serious would have to happen for me to miss tonights game. I'll actually stay awake for an entire Monday nighter, hate this eastern timezone.

Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by pikman View Post
                            Awe man...it's one of the only televised games I get out here in MD, something pretty serious would have to happen for me to miss tonights game. I'll actually stay awake for an entire Monday nighter, hate this eastern timezone.

How on earth did we get tickets for a concert on the same night as the MNF Broncos game?????

I'll survive.....can't wait to get home to turn on the tv and have some sports commentator proclaiming....."The Broncos are now 5 and 2."

Comment

How on earth did we get tickets for a concert on the same night as the MNF Broncos game?????

I'll survive.....can't wait to get home to turn on the tv and have some sports commentator proclaiming....."The Broncos are now 5 and 2."
                              Winnipeg eh? It's not a BTO concert is it?

That is what the DVR was invented for.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X