Stronger arm versus desire to win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
    funny how one bad game and all of a sudden a QB who is listed and revered as one of the most accurate in the game right now all of a sudden can't throw.

i don't believe for a minute Cutler isn't accurate. You try to thread balls into tight coverage the way he does and see if you don't think he's accurate afterward.

he also has proven over and over again that he can throw the deep ball right on the money.

now i dunno what was going on last Sunday, but the entire team was sucking, not just Jay. you forget Prater missed two field goals, but lucky for him the rest of the team made that a non-issue.

Favre throws tons of interceptions and he's probably still considered rather accurate... so what's the big deal?
    these spoiled little brats that call themselves fans, have a problem...it's called Instant Gratification Syndrome....they want it all, and they want it now, now, now. They want Cutler to be the Tom Brady and win the Super Bowl his first year, and then win 2 more a few seasons later.

they dont want to wait for a defense, they dont want to wait for special teams, they just expect young Jay to come in and be the be all end all Savior, and put up massive offensive numbers, no matter what the defense does and carry us to a championship overnight.

Sorry, but it ain't gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolverine83 View Post
      I know what you are talking about - I've seen those posts too.
      But for me, personally, I love when athletes that are great have a certain cockiness. I think its funny - one of my favorite things about Cutler.
      it's not cockiness...he just has a calm confidence.

his answer was confident but not cocky.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamal View Post
        LolLol at all these fools...So quick to catch feelings.Are you seriously going to sit here and say that a 40 year old has a stronger arm than Jay?Everybody fcuken knows he's got the strongest arm in football...Period! Lol it's funny how we live in such a hypocritical society...I love Cutler even more now,that guy is going to go down as one of the greatest to ever don the Bronco jersey.Eff all the haters!!!!
        First of all, I've never heard anyone (outside of people on this forum) say that Cutler has the strongest arm in the NFL. Perhaps I just wasn't paying attention. Honestly, J. Russell probably has the strongest arm - not that it does him any good - though Cutler is probably in the top five (along with Favre). The problem with Cutler saying that he has that sort of an arm is that it sounds crazy conceited given what people know about Favre's arm, or Elway's arm, or whoever else he's going to admit to being better than next. I realize this is a reporter asking a stupid question, but it would be nice if Cutler just shrugged and said "I don't know"... since he probably doesn't.

Originally posted by BroncosRockdaRockies View Post
        Yeah what a bunch of Idiots! No one looks back at Babe Ruth and say he sucked because he pointed to the outfield and called his Homerun Shots! This is rediculous !!!!!! I love the confidence he has makes people just want to come out and play harder and possibly make mistakes YOU GO JAY ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:salute!:
        People don't say the Babe sucked because he called his Homerun shot and then actually pulled it off. Cutler is comparing - or allowing the comparison anyway - between himself and some of the all time greats, this is hardly the same thing. It would be like some non-established baseball player who has a lot of talent but hasn't really done anything with it yet going out and calling his shot like the Babe did.

Incidentally, haven't you figured out that you aren't allowed to make mistakes on this football team? It doesn't matter how hard you play, if you make mistakes, you suck.

Originally posted by 97svtinkc View Post
        these spoiled little brats that call themselves fans, have a problem...it's called Instant Gratification Syndrome....they want it all, and they want it now, now, now. They want Cutler to be the Tom Brady and win the Super Bowl his first year, and then win 2 more a few seasons later.

they dont want to wait for a defense, they dont want to wait for special teams, they just expect young Jay to come in and be the be all end all Savior, and put up massive offensive numbers, no matter what the defense does and carry us to a championship overnight.

There is an instant gratification problem around here, but I don't know that it's the posters' faults. We were told that this team was just a Jay Cutler away from a SB. That was why we got him. That was why he was put in during his rookie year. Going to the playoffs (or the AFC championship game) wasn't enough, we wanted Superbowls and we were told that Jay was the man to give them too us.

We're now going on three years removed from the AFCCG and we are only now sniffing the playoffs (where, with this defense, we can look forward to another humiliating defeat at the hands of Indy or someone like them).

I agree that people are expecting too much out of Cutler (though I'd love it if he'd just say "I don't know" when asked how he compares to HOF players), but after all the expectations that came with his drafting and placement as our starter... what do you expect?

Comment

I don't give a damn who he has a stronger arm then! I want him to start saying I have more superbowl rings then Elway and Favre!

Comment

Originally posted by 97svtinkc View Post

He kinda is right now, honestly do you think Plummer could of carried us through this season with the personel we have?

Im just being patient like you and wait a few years, a few drafts, and this team will be great. :salute!:

But hey, if we somehow miraculously got in to the SB this year and won, I wouldnt be complaing.

Comment

Another quote taken out of context. It is just like looking at a stat sheet for a game to determine how someone performed without watching them actually play. Watch the interview first and see how he says what he says. I knew a thread like this was coming when I watched the interview.

Comment

Originally posted by rush_limbaughII View Post
                First he boasted about having a stronger arm than Elway. Now it is Favre. But he forgot to mention. He may have a stronger arm. But Favre's grandmother has better accuracy on deep passes than Cutler
                What do you mean 'Now'? to me once he said his arm was stronger then Elways then that was pretty much like saying his arm was stronger then anyone who has ever played the game
                "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

The truth about Jay's comments

You guys are all ignoring or forgetting what Jay Cutler really said. I read the transcript. Jay said he thinks his arm is stronger than Favre's arm NOW because he is 25 and Favre is 39, adding Favre's arm was stronger at age 25 than his arm is now. So the whole point is because Favre is older, his arm is not as strong as it was when he was 25, and Cutler admitted his arm is not as strong now as Favre's was when he was 25.

Why do fans who heard or read the comments completely ignore that part of it? People are blowing the whole thing out of proportion by only saying Cutler believes his arm is stronger than Favre's. Also, like when Jay said his arm is stronger than Elway's, it was only a question by the media, not an intent to brag about his arm strength. GET OVER IT! There is no good reason to criticize Jay for saying he believes his arm is stronger than Favre's is now because he did say it was only because of their age difference.

Now that statement makes me wonder if it is true arm strength goes downhill between ages 25 and 39, but I know Favre has suffered right arm injuries in the past and does not work out in the offseason, so Cutler may be right.

Comment

Cutler does show arm strength

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                    Cutler does need to back up his words with his play though :thumb:
                    If you don't think Cutler backs that up with his play, you are ignoring the fact that arm strength simply means he throws the ball longer than Favre does. To do that, he simply needs to throw a Hail Mary from deep in his own territory - maybe the 20-25 yard line, wherever Favre has never attempted such a pass this season - and watch it reach the end zone before being batted down by a defensive player. Arm strength only means ability to throw a long distance. It has nothing to do with whether a receiver catches it or not. Accuracy is NOT the same thing as strength. Why don't people know that by now?

Comment

and now this business about being okay with losing at home to the Raiders. A strong arm isn't going to get it done in this league. How many Super Bowl rings does Michael Vick have? Favre only has one. I just wish Cutler would stop losing to everyone at home. C'mon man!
                      vote HILLIS in 2009!

Comment

Originally posted by lusifer
                        what he should say is my arm is so strong from pleasuring myself and also my arm is so strong but it has no control,my arm is so strong that I can;t hit an open reciever you may be a redneck if your arm is so strong,my arm is so strong I'm a failure as a qb

pretty sure you're a failure as a poster...

yikes...

but back on topic. who gives a rip if he has a stronger arm than so and so...

i'd take Cutler over just about any QB in the league right now...

i'm upset at the way he played last Sunday, but I'm still happy with having such a talented QB on our team finally.
                        sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by lusifer
                          if you insist then it must be true because you say so so i shall agree
                          run on much?
                          sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by BestBroncoFan View Post
                            I dont know if its just me or what, but it baffles me that people can even begi nto compare Elway and Cutler....for ONE...most are comparing how Elway ended up and todays Cutler....not Elways first 2 seasons and Elways first 2...GRANTED..most of this board wasnt alive then. Ive yet to see Cutler line up NOT under center...Elways first season? Ever watch it? People were booing and wondering why we paid so much for him, all the while the Colts were laughing at us thinking they got the good end of the deal.

When Cutler gets 15 years under him...THEN compare him to Elway..guess what...by then (homerism kicking in) he'll have beat every stat in Bronco history, most in NFL history and then all you nay sayers who want him gone or are dogging him now..will be eating crow.

Cutler is a baby...hes learning how to crawl right now...teams beware when he learns how to run.

/wave from Iraq...4 more months left!
                            Good post!:salute!:
                            Haze gray and underway!

Comment

Originally posted by saltybuggah View Post
                              THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

why does cutler find it funny making fun of old people :devil:

what older people cant do as good a job as younger people...

the association for older americans is gonna hear about cutler bashing them
                              Guess you must be in your early 60's or so, huh? Lighten up, dude!
                              Haze gray and underway!

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                                This comment by Cutler is being SOOOOOOO overblown. Come on guys.

He was ASKED if he thought his arm was strong her than Elways. He didn't BRING it up.... he showed a lil bit of 'swagger' and 'confidence' by responding he thought it was. So what? Its absolutely ASININE to suggest that he doesn't have a desire to win.

That SAME "immaturity" that most of you are complaining or commenting about after the game.. is the SAME type of attitude that should show you how much he hates losing. If he came into that press conference with a non-chalant attitude, you guys would be COMPLAINING that he didn't show enough anger for losing.

You guys tried to say that he wasn't a leader because he didn't show enough emotion on the field and didn't yell (which was just another stupid thing to say)... yet when he does, now he's yelling too much and is immature.

Unbelievable. You guys are just ridiculous. His comment about the arm strength was NOTHING... nothing. I could believe people outside the fanbase, that don't really read about the players, could misconstrue his comment because the press makes a nice "clip" of the entire quote and only prints what will look to be the most Entertaining. But you guys should have enough sense to have read the entire context of the interview and read his entire comments, and HEAR the inflections in his voice before making such blind comments.
                                He was asked if his ars was as strong as Elway's, not stronger. His response was his was stronger. He also said he was shocked at the outpouring of emotion after the comment but that he still stood by it. Call it what ever you want, confidence, arrogence, who cares. When he first came to town somebody made the comment to him that as the QB even though he was three players removed that Elway's shoes were still the ones to fill and his response then was that after his career here was over fans would question if Elway could fill HIS shoes. He does have a tremendous arm, his talents are undeniable but he should show some respect to the greats that came before him is what most people were and are upset about. His interceptions have only fueled the fire. It probably has been blown out of proportion a bit but I can understand why people were so upset. At the end of the night we are all Bronco fans and that is all that matters. :salute!:
                                It's not just football, its Broncos Football, there IS a difference!

God, why didn't I call Mr. Bowlen back?http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...kbl/jayjay.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X