Stronger arm versus desire to win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by armchair scout View Post
    Not that this is a big deal, but I hope Cutler is prepared to back this up. Favre loves this kind of stuff. I woulgn't be surprised if he responds with a few touchdowns from greater than 50 yards on Sunday. If so, I hope Cutler is prepared to keep up with him. Favre is a huge competitor and relishes in making other teams eat their words. This is a chance for Cutler to prove that he is that kind of player as well.
    Looks like Jay has given the Jets and Favre their bullitin board material. This should fire the Jets up. Let's hope Jay has a better game than he did the last time he "just answered the question"!
    It's not just football, its Broncos Football, there IS a difference!

God, why didn't I call Mr. Bowlen back?http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...kbl/jayjay.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 32n33 View Post
      Looks like Jay has given the Jets and Favre their bullitin board material. This should fire the Jets up. Let's hope Jay has a better game than he did the last time he "just answered the question"!

Favre is still playing because he loves the game...I doubt he really cares what Cutler responded to about the strength of their arms...If Favre goes for 450 and 5 td's you and Cutler goes for 200 and 1td with 3ints...but Denver wins...you think the Jets will start spouting off about stronger arms? It's all about W's the only thing you will hear from the Jets if that scenario happens is about how it doesn't matter we didn't do enough to win the game...There are hundreds if not thousands of sports radio stations that ask questions like that and all it does is incite fans and the media...I would bet no player will bring it up after the game unless someone from the media directly asks them...and even if Favre has better numbers....it's not like they are going against the same defenses...Cutler has to outplay the Jets D and Favre the Broncos D...I will bet my life that Favre picks Cutler off 0 times and does not play one down on defense..
      "Badger my a$$ it's probably Milhouse...."

Comment

Okay fine, he's just answering the questions asked...I would have been more impressed if he had said:

"I really can't make comparisons between myself and people like John Elway, Brett Favre, Dan Marino and anyone else. You are talking about legends here. I probably should have held back earlier, but wanted t demonstrate my confidence both in my abilities and the team as a whole, and I think that came out wrong. All I care about is helping the team add to its wins - we'll take things one week at a time and address issues as they come up, but to keep on about whose arm is stronger than whose when and what not really doesn't matter if we are only at 6-5..."

That would have impressed me...but to willingly jump in on what clearly was a leading question..it's like a fish taking the bait. Once he realizes what the press is doing here, he'll wise up and come up with better answers, but that only comes with time, experience, and toning down the arrogance. As I've said before, there is a fine line between arrogance and confidence and Jay hasn't found that yet...

Comment

There isn't a bigger Elway fan than myself. If you saw my house, you would know it. But I wasn't offended by his (Cutler) remarks on his arm. I wasn't bothered in the LEAST that he said his arm was stronger, because thats ALL he said. He never suggested for a MOMENT that he was a better QB. He didn't imply in the LEAST that his SKILLS were superior. He was right. He referenced the RIGHT thing in RESPONSE to a question.... the strength of his arm... period. There is NOTHING to be offended by. There is NOTHING that would cause anyone to believe that he is suggesting he's BETTER because of it.

I just think its ABSURD that the simple comment about how hard or how far a ball can be thrown, is somehow "insulting" or "not showing respect" to those before him.

**I also find it funny that people in this thread were complaining about Cutler being 'angry and upset' in the press conference after the game.... and this week want to complain that he wasn't "angry or upset" the day after during the talk show. Unbelievable.**

Comment

and now this business about being okay with losing at home to the Raiders. A strong arm isn't going to get it done in this league. How many Super Bowl rings does Michael Vick have? Favre only has one. I just wish Cutler would stop losing to everyone at home. C'mon man!
            Talk about another OVERBLOWN reaction to a simple remark to a tv talk show a day after a game.......

this is so typical.. YAY Jay! OHhh Jay.... show some competitive spirit!! YAY Jay, you are SO competitive!! Ohh Jay....

Man some of you are fickle.
            Last edited by Ravage!!!; 11-27-2008, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_fourth_amig View Post
              Okay fine, he's just answering the questions asked...I would have been more impressed if he had said:

"I really can't make comparisons between myself and people like John Elway, Brett Favre, Dan Marino and anyone else. You are talking about legends here. I probably should have held back earlier, but wanted t demonstrate my confidence both in my abilities and the team as a whole, and I think that came out wrong. All I care about is helping the team add to its wins - we'll take things one week at a time and address issues as they come up, but to keep on about whose arm is stronger than whose when and what not really doesn't matter if we are only at 6-5..."

That would have impressed me...but to willingly jump in on what clearly was a leading question..it's like a fish taking the bait. Once he realizes what the press is doing here, he'll wise up and come up with better answers, but that only comes with time, experience, and toning down the arrogance. As I've said before, there is a fine line between arrogance and confidence and Jay hasn't found that yet...
              You make good points but...it's also way easier to read through an article and a bunch of responses...to think out a response on a message board than to be on a live radio show and answer a question on the spot...It would be one thing if he were speaking about how he is so much better than (insert hall of famer) etc...but it's a question about arm strength...It would be like asking Royal if he's faster than Rod smith....he clearly is but that doesn't mean he thinks he's a better overall player or accomplished more..
              "Badger my a$$ it's probably Milhouse...."

Comment

and now this business about being okay with losing at home to the Raiders. A strong arm isn't going to get it done in this league. How many Super Bowl rings does Michael Vick have? Favre only has one. I just wish Cutler would stop losing to everyone at home. C'mon man!
                Is this John Kerry? This is John Kerry, huh?

We'll see what ya have to say after the next win, but I tell ya what, you're gonna have to make up your mind sooner or later.

Are all "scouts" this indecisive?

Pathetic.......

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                  Talk about another OVERBLOWN reaction to a simple remark to a tv talk show a day after a game.......

this is so typical.. YAY Jay! OHhh Jay.... show some competitive spirit!! YAY Jay!! Ohh Jay....

Man some of you are fickle.
                  "Fickle"......."Pathetic".......Potato............ .........Po.......ta.......to *shrugs*.......

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                    "Fickle"......."Pathetic".......Potato............ .........Po.......ta.......to *shrugs*.......

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                      That's one of those sayings that don't translate too well over the internet, but at least you got it.......

Comment

Originally posted by The_fourth_amig View Post

i agree w/ you on some points, but did you see the video? the vid will give you a better feel of the context. jay immediately laughed when he got the question, meaning he took it as a joke, as it was, and answered it in jest as well. there is arrogance in there, but its more like guys just having some kind of joke time more than jay being dead serious.

Comment

emos love potatoes too!

sigpic

Comment

I'd hit it.......

Comment

Originally posted by anton... View Post
                              emos love potatoes too!

That doesn't open up for me

Comment

The part I don't get about people when reading this, is seeing the 'dry humor' from Cutler when he says these things. "Hands Down" is an OVER exaggeration to the question about Elway's arm. Thats what you say when joking with people, friends, a group of people.

Just as this.... "is he forty yet."

Someone in THIS thread tried to suggest that Cutler better be prepared to back it up. Back WHAT UP?????? That he has a stronger arm??? You think that Brett is going to try and throw the ball harder or farther during the game because of the "challenge????" Come ON people.... there is NOTHING to try and back-up here.

Comment

Working...
                                X