Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Unbelievable.... Jay's playing fine god some of you are amazing

I haven't spent much time on here lately......but it appears alot of people on here are still sleeping with Cutler...
    My 3 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
    3.Any team who plays Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by broncophan View Post
      I haven't spent much time on here lately......but it appears alot of people on here are still sleeping with Cutler...
      CP to you. Truth is the truth.

Comment

He is having turnover problems right now but that could be a number of things. Most likely it is a combination of those number of things.

This is his second full year of starting. What that means is: 1) Defenses now have a full season+ of tape on him in the NFL. They know what Shanny is doing with him now and what Jay's early career tendencies are. 2) Jay is still learning what he can and can't do with the football. 3) Shanny mostly knows but is still learning what Jay can and can't handle. Situations, throws, etc... 4) Most guys have a sophmore slump in their second year of playing because of the 3 things listed above. Jay's sophmore slump seems to be turnovers, but he is still completing a lot of passes for a lot of yards.

I still don't think he played better last season. If you look, he had fumbles and interceptions last season as well. He has had a fumbling problem (which first showed as an exchange problem) since he got here. Again, that is learning what he can and can't do with the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
          it has nothing to do with my mind set nor does it have to do with me disagreeing with somebody. yes everyone is entitled to their opinions but that doesnt make them intelligent ones

im just sick and tired of people not looking at the big picture around here, from the dre bly sucks threads, to this one

Jay is doing a much better job this year IMO. This last game and KC were his only real Terrible games. and still they were not that bad. you just are thinking that because of how bad the rest of this team is, i mean if we have 1-2 TOs its gonna get us in a nasty rut, our D can not balance out an explosive offense.

they allow long drives, dont force Turnovers/punts, they are just awful

some of you are expecting far too much from Cutler, if cutler turns the ball over the other team has a damn good chance of putting points on the board. our d needs to make up for this by creating TOs for the offense

our O has bailed out the D many times this season, you and i can not expect them to do it week in and week out, its just not realistic, some games the D needs to step up when the offense isnt in sync . . . although they can not do that it seems

im under the impression that while nobody says it everybody on this team knows the D can not be counted on to do anything, sure they may get a good stop but i doubt anyone expects them to do it

punting for us is hardly an option because of this and most believe that in order to stay in the game the O needs to constantly put points on the board. thats why cutler is forcing passes and thats why he goes to his only real weapon lately so much in Marshall. we dont feel like we can take a safe approach and punt it and play field postion because teams take 10 minutes off the clock driving the entire field on us at will

its just reality, open your eyes a little and you may see it, jay isnt playing bad nor is he playing lights out (lately) but he is playing well enough that the D should be able to step up and do their part towards a win (other than maybe the pats game because of ALL the team TOs)
          See there is the problem right there, our D cannot be counted on. We can't just assume they will eventually step up because right now they are pathetic, and the Pats game sure as hell showed no signs of improvement. Champ is even hurt now, and his loss will probably uncover a lot of mistakes that we haven't seen yet.

There is no problem with Jay forcing passes because it is part of every QBs life in football. The problem is that he has other guys open that can make plays. We don't have to punt. Just like the advice you gave me, Cutler needs to "open his eyes a little" and realize there are other options for him. If he does that there will be far less interceptions and far less punts. That's what one of my arguments was in this thread.

Comment

the guy has to be picture perfect for us to win a game and he found that out in the first 3 games and thats way too much pressure for a qb who hasnt even played 2 full seasons in the nfl....once we get a decent defense then we can truly evaluate his play

Comment

i wouldnt say "piss poor" the games should have still been within reach if the D was able to force some crucial punts, or turnovers, or a 3 and out every so often, i remember the cowbaoy game where Romo threw 5ints i believe and they still won . . . im not saying that happens all that often but when you have 1 Td and only 2ints you should still be in the game and it shouldnt be considered a "piss poor game"

im just saying its impssible for the O to play near perfect every game just so the D can maybe stop somebody or play just good enough . . . because thats not good enough for me and it shouldnt be good enough for the team
              12 turnovers in the 3 losses is piss poor offense. It puts undue pressure on the D and leaves them on the field too long. The D has forced crucial punts, turnovers, and 3-and-outs. But they are not good enough to do that all game while the O plays terribly. They will make their plays, and they will get gashed for big gains. That's the cards we were dealt this season. But if the O is as talented as everyone says, then we shouldn't be having the discussion about who is losing the games. Right now, it's up for debate, and that's a big issue.

Stats don't win games. Playing winning football wins games. That means coming up with drives when we need them, staying in the game when the chips are down, having the mental fortitude to handle hostile environments. The O doesn't have to be near perfect. Just don't turn the ball over an average of 4 times a game.
              Last edited by Lomax; 10-24-2008, 11:56 AM.
              "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

I'm throwing in my :2cents:.

Jay may have played better in the first month last year than he has thus far, but as his weight started to drop and his energy went down, I'm betting that the October stats from last year are close to the October ones from this year.

He's just got some things he needs to sort out, football wise and otherwise.

I think the boy has blood-sugar issues, but that's not the reason for the turn-overs, just the bad throwing.

Maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
                  the guy has to be picture perfect for us to win a game and he found that out in the first 3 games and thats way too much pressure for a qb who hasnt even played 2 full seasons in the nfl....once we get a decent defense then we can truly evaluate his play
                  Give that man a cigar. Cutler is pressing right now because he thinks he has to score on every drive. When you get a decent D, he can relax and carve people up.

Comment

although im not gonna beat on cutler..i think he's the real deal

he is however missing a hell of alot of open guys in a attempt to thread the needle to marshall, he is as i aslo noticed missing the majority of his deep balls....an i can sit back and recall at least six sure ints that were dropped...right in the hands sure ints, which i put on the fact that these defenders just didnt realize the speed of his balls...he very well could have more ints then tds.....which isnt good

but i in my weird way am kinda putting it on the media.....the media has been hyping jay all preseason and regular season...he is already a determined selfconfindent guy who is a bit cocky....and he's bought into the hype on himself..his accurate cannon arm able to put it in a guys hand with pinpoint accuracy,the speed ...everything...the next great qb....after years of obscurity in vandy...finaly some national attention

and he's trying to live up to that instead of just playing his game

hopefully this past game wakes him up
                    sigpic
                    when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Originally posted by broncophan View Post
                      So anybody that doesn't think Cutler is playing poorly is having sex with him?

Very insightfull......

Comment

it has nothing to do with my mind set nor does it have to do with me disagreeing with somebody. yes everyone is entitled to their opinions but that doesnt make them intelligent ones

im just sick and tired of people not looking at the big picture around here, from the dre bly sucks threads, to this one

Jay is doing a much better job this year IMO. This last game and KC were his only real Terrible games. and still they were not that bad. you just are thinking that because of how bad the rest of this team is, i mean if we have 1-2 TOs its gonna get us in a nasty rut, our D can not balance out an explosive offense.

they allow long drives, dont force Turnovers/punts, they are just awful

some of you are expecting far too much from Cutler, if cutler turns the ball over the other team has a damn good chance of putting points on the board. our d needs to make up for this by creating TOs for the offense

our O has bailed out the D many times this season, you and i can not expect them to do it week in and week out, its just not realistic, some games the D needs to step up when the offense isnt in sync . . . although they can not do that it seems

im under the impression that while nobody says it everybody on this team knows the D can not be counted on to do anything, sure they may get a good stop but i doubt anyone expects them to do it

punting for us is hardly an option because of this and most believe that in order to stay in the game the O needs to constantly put points on the board. thats why cutler is forcing passes and thats why he goes to his only real weapon lately so much in Marshall. we dont feel like we can take a safe approach and punt it and play field postion because teams take 10 minutes off the clock driving the entire field on us at will

its just reality, open your eyes a little and you may see it, jay isnt playing bad nor is he playing lights out (lately) but he is playing well enough that the D should be able to step up and do their part towards a win (other than maybe the pats game because of ALL the team TOs)
                        Agreed 100%
                        Last edited by RxDx; 10-24-2008, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I think Jay is playing on par with how he performed last season. His stats are better because Marshall isn't dropping nearly as many passes as he had last season, and he has a legitimate #2 receiver now in Eddie Royal, as opposed to a washed-up Javon Walker. In actuality, Jay - when he's not forcing things - has been able to play with the best of them since his rookie season.

The glaring problem, however, are the turnovers, plain and simple. I can forgive overthrowing receivers because his completion % is high enough that he's clearly not overthrowing everyone, and strong-armed QBs tend to overthrow receivers at least a couple of times in a game. But the turnover issue has been dogging him since his rookie year, and it's not just the interceptions - it's the fumbles. And as arapahoe pointed out in his post, Jay has had at least a half a dozen passes over the past four games that were dropped by the defender and could have very easily been intercepted, giving Jay about the same number of picks as touchdown passes - maybe even more. It wouldn't be as frustrating but on post-game analaysis, on many of Jay's interceptions he's had other options wide open, but has instead forced passes downfield into heavy coverage.

I think the other issue is maturity. I love that Jay is confident and sure of himself as the leader of this team. But I think there's a fine line between confidence and arrogance, and Jay has walked and even crossed that line on a few occassions so far, with the Marshall comments in the offseason, the Elway comparisons, and in discussing Phillip Rivers. I know there are fans that eat that kind of stuff up and praise him for it, but the true pros of NFL history have handled those situations with a little more class and utilizing better media savvy than Jay has.

And in defense of Jay, he's been basically asked to go out and score over 35 points a game in order for this team to have any real chance of winning, and that's just unreasonable to ask of a QB in his 3rd season. The defense is putting a lot of pressure on Jay, and I think he's responding by trying to score a touchdown on every drive, rather than just taking what the defense gives him and understanding that punting isn't the end of the world.

Overall, I expect Jay to have ups and downs this season, unless the defense finds some kind of consistency (HIGHLY unlikely) or Shanahan decides to restrict the playbook, which he may very well do given comments he made regarding Marshall last week to Gary Miller.
                          sigpic

Comment

Unbelievable.... Jay's playing fine god some of you are amazing
                            Funny...against New Orleans, Kansas City, Jacksonville, and New England (more than half our games so far), you've admitted that Jay didn't play well. And now he's playing fine?

Which one is it ravage?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                              Funny...against New Orleans, Kansas City, Jacksonville, and New England (more than half our games so far), you've admitted that Jay didn't play well. And now he's playing fine?

Which one is it ravage?
                              He's playing fine, mojo.

Comment

He's playing fine, mojo.
                                Oh, ok. So basically you just like to contradict yourself when it suits the post.

Got it.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X