Belichick mentions Eddie Royal in Press Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    If the voters know what they're voting about, I think after all is considered Ryan Clady should be the offensive rookie of the year. He's playing left tackle, next week he faces John Abraham, two-weeks ago it was Joey Porter and he has still not allowed a sack this season. Between Abraham and Porter there are 21.5 sacks. That says something, not to mention who else he has matched up against Clady this season.
    These are all god points and stats for Clady. But its the position that makes the difference. Clady could very well win the MVP for the Broncos this season... and would absolutely deserve it. But because he's an OL, he's not going to win the OROY on a team that will end up with a losing record.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
      You know I'm not sure. I thought it was just OROY and DROY... not sure if they separate NFC and AFC
      i think they do. i'll check when i play madden tomorrow
      sigpic

Comment

When was the last time Robert Royal gave any team a 2 play 65 yard drive?

He was talking about Eddie Royal.......

Comment

I say this in EVERY thread that talks about ROTY.....

a rookie left tackle that hasn't given up a sack (and only two penalties) on a team that throws more then anyone.....

if Clady goes the whole season without giving up a sack he SHOULD win.....

besides NO o-lineman has ever won ROTY so.....it would be freakin awesome!
          "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

sigpic
          -The best in the business-

Comment

I totally agree with those that say Clady ought to win the ROY over Matt Ryan. I realize he won't but he should. As important as the QB is, when you're the QB of the #1 rushing team in the NFL, you're more often than not just a glorified waiter, taking the ball from the center and handing off to the RB (I'm not calling Matt Ryan a waiter, just making a point). The LT has to go every single snap against the best player on the defense. He doesn't get plays off and watch.

With that said, one has to include the mental part of the QB's job into the equation, but again when you have the #1 rushing offense, you are not being challenged much in that regard. Ryan is getting all the help he needs with the running game and a very good defense. Clady, on the other hand, is being leaned on more than the average LT with us throwing a lot more than most teams.

Matt Ryan has been extremely good and I wouldn't grudge him the ROY award, which I'm almost certain he will win. But I do believe that Clady has outperformed him. Clady is playing like one of the best at his position. Matt Ryan, while playing at a very high level isn't playing at the level of a Drew Brees or Peyton Manning (who are the main weapons of their respective offenses, like Turner is for Atlanta)

EDIT: Also, I think Belichick was indeed referring to big-play receivers and he meant Eddie Royal. I also think the Jackson he was referring to may have been DeSean Jackson.
            Last edited by AC1; 11-10-2008, 07:24 AM.
            Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

while Clady is having an unbelievable year he wont win if if Matt Ryan continues to play as well as he has been lately...

truth be told Clady will win the respect and praise of all the other O and D players around the league if he doesnt give up a sack and limits his penalties all year... but lets be honeest about one thing... Ryan deserves to be praised and rightfully so... who the heck would of thought that atlanta would have a QB and team so good so fast from the Vick fiasco...

the league from the top to the bottom want that "sexy" pic for ROTY and what a better way than to give it to an Atlanta QB... where the team has been thru hell and back in the past year... Atlanta has been dragged thru the mud, and rightfully so, with the Vick situation... what a better way for the league and team to try and forget about an ugly situation from the past, than to give the ROTY award to the very same team and position that put them in this terrible situation....

im not saying that Matt Ryan doesnt deserve the credit... the guy is flat out tearing it up... just pointing out that the league and everyone loves a rags to riches story...
              Last edited by saltybuggah; 11-10-2008, 11:10 AM.
              sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Yeah, after reading it again he was probably referring to Eddie Royal, and not Robert. He also probably meant DeSean Jackson, cause Fred Jackson is a RB and doesn't make sense in the context of his answer.
                sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

Originally posted by TheMastermind View Post
                  I say this in EVERY thread that talks about ROTY.....

a rookie left tackle that hasn't given up a sack (and only two penalties) on a team that throws more then anyone.....

if Clady goes the whole season without giving up a sack he SHOULD win.....

besides NO o-lineman has ever won ROTY so.....it would be freakin awesome!
                  And we constantly have thread after thread about it.

I don't understand why everyone gets so worked up about it. If it happens to one of our guys, then great. A prestigious honor.

Whether our guys win the award or not, we should be proud to have 2 rookies on our team making an immediate impact.

We sit around here and listen to all the bashing of Shanny for one reason or another, including the draft and we need to recognize that he is rebuilding this team from the ground up and it's showing.

I just hope this doesn't go to the heads of our young men in Clady and Royal being considered for this award.
                  :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Matt Ryan will win for the same reason Vince Young won it. He handles the ball on every play and is playing outstanding. I love Clady and Royal and wouldn't trade either of them for Ryan, but the truth of the matter is, a QB playing that well his rookie season will win the ROTY hands down and deservingly so.

Comment

We all know that in football, whether it's college or professional, the priority for any award that is not position specific is to give it to a quarterback. As long as Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are winning and playing well, they are the only true contenders for Rookie of the Year and Ryan has a clear lead. Anybody playing another position is going to have to be super spectacular to even be considered or hope the quarterbacks fall on their faces.

Clady and Royal would have had a chance if the Falcons and Ravens weren't doing as well as they are with their quarterbacks playing as well as they are.

I'm just glad that the Broncos have a group of rookies that have contributed significantly on offense. The awards are secondary.
                      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                      You Mad Bro?
                      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                        You know I'm not sure. I thought it was just OROY and DROY... not sure if they separate NFC and AFC
                        No, they don't seperate on conference. It's all or nothing.

Though I recall when CP won it for the NFL Pepsi gave a ROY to Shockey, wich I know means nothing.. but it does get confusin.
                        *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                        *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                        *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Working...
                        X