Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chargers claim Bennett to keep him from the Broncos? (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chargers claim Bennett to keep him from the Broncos? (Merged)

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...chael-bennett/

The San Diego Chargers have added another running back, claiming former Tampa Bay Buccaneer Michael Bennett on waivers.

At first blush, that wouldn’t seem to make much sense: The Chargers have LaDainian Tomlinson as their starter, Darren Sproles is having a good season in relief of Tomlinson, and they spent this year’s third-round draft pick on Jacob Hester.

But Adam Schefter of NFL Network points out the real reason the Chargers claimed Bennett: They want to keep him from the Broncos. Denver is desperate for help at running back, and with the Chargers a game behind the Broncos in the AFC West, San Diego is desperate to keep Denver from improving. The Broncos and Chargers both put in claims on Bennett, but since the Chargers have a worse record, the Chargers get priority.

This isn’t the first time the Chargers have made a waiver claim solely to stop a division rival from adding a player. In 2002, the Washington Redskins waived Deion Sanders from the reserve/retired list. Sanders had wanted to come out of retirement to join the Oakland Raiders during their playoff run, but the Chargers claimed Sanders to keep him from the Raiders.

That, of course, was particularly galling to Sanders, because the reason he retired from the Redskins in the first place was that he didn’t want to play for then-Redskins coach Marty Schottenheimer — who was the Chargers’ coach when San Diego claimed him.
    Winter is Coming!

It's nice to see that we at least put a claim in for him. I think this tells us that the SD front office isn't convinced that they can take care of business on their own. If you can't beat 'em... then keep 'em from getting better. Not a bad move actually. What do you think?
    Winter is Coming!

Comment

I just read this as well.

Dirty Chargers!!!

At least they will have to cut someone else from their roster to add him. Basically they will have to let Bennett take up space on their bench with no intention to really use him.

Comment

Chargers claimed Michael Bennett off waivers from the Bucs, according to NFL Network's Adam Shefter.

It's an odd fit, but the Bolts knew Denver was desperate for a running back and decided to block them. Denver indeed put in a claim, meaning Tatum Bell's stay with the team could have been brief. Instead, Bennett will rot on the Chargers bench

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

SD is desperate at this point and he will be dropped from their roster in a few weeks.

Comment

wonder who they will release? You can only have so many rbs on your roster

Comment

Originally posted by jlhawkins9 View Post
              wonder who they will release? You can only have so many rbs on your roster
              The Chargers release Derek Smith.

And also, Raiders claimed CB Justin Miller.

The Oakland Raiders have claimed a speedy cornerback off waivers, a week after placing a speedy cornerback on waivers.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Raiders have claimed cornerback Justin Miller, formerly of the Jets. Last week the Raiders waived cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

Per Schefter, the Raiders were one of three teams to put in waiver claims for Miller. The Broncos and Dolphins wanted him as well, but the Raiders get top priority because they have the worst record.
              Miller was once among the NFL’s best kick returners, and he was chosen to the Pro Bowl after the 2006 season. But he was limited to just two games in 2007 and had played just one game this year before the Jets waived him.

Comment

What a bunch of *******.
                sigpic

Comment

Oh man! **** blocked by two teams!!
                  *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                  *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                  *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by Crimetime View Post
                    The Chargers release Derek Smith.

And also, Raiders claimed CB Justin Miller.
                    The Raiders actually needed a CB; so I don't blame them. But, even though what the Chargers did was smart it is very telling of their confidence level.

Still stinks because we probably could have used both of those guys.
                    Winter is Coming!

Comment

This division is so bad, no one will ever want to come to our teams. coach to player "Son, we are waiving you but denver is interested in getting you, they might make the playoffs." Player to coach "So what you really mean is I will goto oakland or san diego?"

Comment

Wow. The only one getting more screwed than the Broncos on this is Bennett. It's gotta suck to know you're getting picked up for the specific purpose of making sure you don't play.

Comment

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
                          The Raiders actually needed a CB; so I don't blame them. But, even though what the Chargers did was smart it is very telling of their confidence level.

Still stinks because we probably could have used both of those guys.
                          Not so sure we'd sign him just to keep him from Denver.

I'm questioning the move from the FO because: Are LT or Sproles more injured than we know? I can't really tell by now.

Comment

Tatum Bell and Michael Bennett.......same difference.

Justin Miller would have been an upgrade, though.......

Comment

So Najeh Davenport must really have some problems. If we were willing to go for Bennet with what we already have, but wouldn't grab Davenport when we had nothing...speaks kinda loudly.

I have heard about the pooping, but I have to wonder if there is more.
                              sigpic
                              In the 13 games Orton started, the Broncos scored touchdowns inside the red zone on 17 of 104 trips (one on a Tebow run). With Tebow as the starter, the Broncos scored touchdowns 6-of-8 times inside the 20.

Comment

Working...
                              X