A few words from Shannon..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few words from Shannon..

Hey guys, has anyone had a chance to read the column titled "Whats the buzz in the NFL" on the NFL.COM home page? Well Shannon Sharpe said that when he was in Denver the goal was to win all the games at home and split the road games which would put a team at 12 and 4. I think its a pretty good goal and concept to shoot for. What do you guys think?
    http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/w...equenceyh5.jpg

sigpic

Sure, better goal is to win them all though.

Comment

I think that is a very good goal, saying your going to win them all, is positive and all, but really, its not a realistic goal, I mean sure it can happen..But its probably not going to happen...Winning all your home games, and splitting the road games..Is a very realistic goal..
      WE ARE WHO THEY THOUGHT WE WERE

Comment

Originally posted by dandaman23
        I think that is a very good goal, saying your going to win them all, is positive and all, but really, its not a realistic goal, I mean sure it can happen..But its probably not going to happen...Winning all your home games, and splitting the road games..Is a very realistic goal..
        I would never make it a goal of mine.

I would make my goal to win every game.

May not be realistic but you can't think about losing a game because your close to your win quota.

Comment

Sure you can, but you lose in the first round of the playoffs after doing that.

Comment

The goal of every player in the NFL is to have a perfect season and end up winning the Super Bowl.

I like Sharpe's expectations, he had a realistic view, but that kind of "attitude" can also open up to questions like:

-Well, we're doing good so far. Let's cut back a bit. We can always do better later.

-This team is too hard. Let's lose this one and concentrate on next week's game.

There were teams that were guilty of this in the past. The most recent example I can think of was after the regular-season win against Indy last December. Denver totally didn't plan against the Packers and got demolished. Then they assumed the same game plan for the game againsed Indy and got owned.

It will be different this season, because the team definitely do not want to get blasted in the same manner ever again.
            Only winners get wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry1977
              Sure you can, but you lose in the first round of the playoffs after doing that.
              Exactly

You gotta be win win win win if you wanna be a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
                Exactly

You gotta be win win win win if you wanna be a winner.
                Ya, I know what you mean...And thats most likely what every NFL player thinks before a game..Is win win win...They dont go into a game thinking there going to lose...But before the season, a realistic goal would be ya know to have a good 12-4 season..They still think before every game there going to win, its not like there going in to the game going "Oh were going to lose, so lets not even try" Its not like that..
                WE ARE WHO THEY THOUGHT WE WERE

Comment

I saw it.I think we should plan on going 16-0 with about 672 pts for and 48 pts against.But........ I'd settle for 12-4.BTW did Sharpe's colum sound like something from ESPN's "Dream Job" to you?
                  sigpic

Comment

Realistic but not concrete

I can't see anyone in the Broncos org. not wanting to win a game, 12-4 is a realistic mind for a successful season . I would also say that no losses occuring within three games of post season.
                    Got to have big mo going into the playoffs.
                    When we rested players in previous seasons on the last game it was wrong and it hurt us. Also I'm a firm believer in honor and respect of the league ie, letting Green Bay beat us and making the post season off of our slackness. Every team is working for a playoff spot and deserves every other team to play hard too. In baseball bottom teams have been known to decide playoff teams because they play to the last game 110%.
                    This is the NFL!!

Don't sing it... Bring It!!!!!

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: A few words from Shannon..

Originally posted by JHoward
                      Hey guys, has anyone had a chance to read the column titled "Whats the buzz in the NFL" on the NFL.COM home page? Well Shannon Sharpe said that when he was in Denver the goal was to win all the games at home and split the road games which would put a team at 12 and 4. I think its a pretty good goal and concept to shoot for. What do you guys think?

Nice misquote on Shannon. I mean he is a Bronco. At least you could get him right for that reason "alone" Here it is in context. No where does it say the Broncos "goal" was 12 and 4. And like I mentioned a few posts back, incidently, you need to win and get the mo going Nov - Dec:

"How to Win
                      I equate football to horse racing. You need a good, methodic pace in both. You don't need to go out and win nine in a row; you just need to keep pace. We always see a team jump out of the gate fast and reel off a long win streak, like Kansas City did last year. But it doesn't always lead to anything. The good teams simply stay out of trouble. They win the close games, and equally important, they win the games in mid-to-late November when the races are heating up.

In Denver, we always had the theory that if you hold serve at home and then split on the road you'll be 12-4. A 12-4 record is almost always going to get you a home playoff game or two. Some team may go 13-3 and beat you out for home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, but if you're 12-4, you're sitting pretty. That should be the goal of every team. "

Do everyone a favor and get Shannon right at least!!
                      Last edited by JED Bronco; 08-20-2004, 07:47 AM.
                      This is the NFL!!

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

Comment

JED Bronco, Do you see any quotation marks in my posting besides the title of the column? No, you dont. So I did not "mis quote" Shannon as you put it. I wanted to just share the BASIC POINT of his column. If you got the POINT of my posting you would understand that I thought the goal of win em' all at home and split the away ones was good, not the specifics of the quote. We're all on the same team here man, dont hate.

sigpic

Comment

No hate here...

Originally posted by JHoward

JED Bronco, Do you see any quotation marks in my posting besides the title of the column? No, you dont. So I did not "mis quote" Shannon as you put it. I wanted to just share the BASIC POINT of his column. If you got the POINT of my posting you would understand that I thought the goal of win em' all at home and split the away ones was good, not the specifics of the quote. We're all on the same team here man, dont hate.
                          Did you notice all the posts following yours and how they assumed from yours much unrealistic hype. Quitting on games because we don't need to win any more...yadah yadah.

The "goal" being something like to be a steady winning force and peak in the later games.

March on!
                          This is the NFL!!

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

Comment

Well shame on you and them for assuming. If everyone that read the posting are all supposed to be "real Bronco" fans you would have known what I meant because you would have read Shannons original column. And I never even mentioned anything about quitting games, again get to the POINT of the posting instead of being so legalistic. One more thing Mr. expert, if you want to be specific. Shannon Sharpe used to be a Denver Bronco, he is now a sports analyst. If he was Denver Bronco he would be on the football field Saturday night in Seattle. Now quote that.

sigpic

Comment

Once a Bronco always a Bronco

Shannon will go to the hall as a Bronco.

Well Ididn't assume anything, even if others did. But as I just posted 12-4 wasn't the goal, as you originally stated " I think its a pretty good goal and concept to shoot for. What do you guys think?"

Shannon stated the goal as:

"I equate football to horse racing. You need a good, methodic pace in both. You don't need to go out and win nine in a row; you just need to keep pace. We always see a team jump out of the gate fast and reel off a long win streak, like Kansas City did last year. But it doesn't always lead to anything. The good teams simply stay out of trouble. They win the close games, and equally important, they win the games in mid-to-late November when the races are heating up."

And he gives stats in support of this.

Enough said.

I'm done with this!
                              This is the NFL!!

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X