Mike Shanahan should NOT be fired, under ANY circumstance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Shanahan should NOT be fired, under ANY circumstance

Go ahead and bash him all you want, if you think he should be fired, you are WRONG.

First, the basics:

This is what you guys want:

Let's go sign a new coach a year after we've been decimated by injuries and the team is filled with young developing talent.

Then, we can get a new coach, who's probably a lot younger and more inexperienced, completely change the playbook, and move backwards five years.

Because that makes sense.

I'd assume that even the least knowledgeable football fans understand the impact momentum has on the game.

It's a big impact.

All you can ask the coach to do is call the plays, but the momentum is uncontrollable. In today's game, we got off to a fast start, stopped the Raiders and drove down the field before Hillis fumbled away a touchdown.

If we're up 7-0 early, Oakland is devastated.

Ok, so we turned the ball over, they didn't score, we get the ball back and should have an opportunity to get on the board with a FG. MISSED.

If we're up 3-0, that knocks Oakland back again, and momentum could be changed.

Same story with the other missed FG. Shanny got us to a spot on the field where a FG SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE.

The Punt Return TD is NOT SHANNY's fault. There's no way you can possibly blame him for that. That's 7 points and a lot of momentum. Again, uncontrollable.

The fact that we are still in control of our destiny despite being absolutely killed by injuries is an indication of Shanahan's success as a coach.

We would be headed in the absolute wrong direction with a coaching change, whether the intolerant fans of this board would like to do so or not.
    Administrator

sigpic

I don't necessarily know or believe Shanahan should be outright fired. I do know that since the 2005 AFC Championship, I have seen 7 of the worst Broncos games EVER in all the 18 years or so I've been watching this team regularly.

When you have the kinds of games we've had, and Shanahan is the only constant, well...
    sigpic

Comment

I agree that it would be counterproductive to get rid of Shanahan. But that doesn't stop this season from being extremely frustrating, regardless of the reasons.

I expect next year to be better. But that's NEXT year. Right now it really hurts to keep thinking this team might beat the odds and make a little noise only to have them completely collapse against bad teams.

Anyway, knee-jerk reactions are not good and we should stay the course. In the meantime I'll be trying to keep my hopes up for this season despite the Broncos' incredible inconsistency.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I hate how people are calling for Shanahan's head. We haven't had Champ for over a month, the entire LB core is injured, and the top 5 RB on the depth chart are done for the year. Give Shanahan credit where credit is due, he drafted very very well this year. Clady has been outstanding, Royal has been electric, and guys like Hillis, Woodyard, Larsen have filled in admirably for starters.

All of the injuries this year have allowed young guys to gain experience, which will be very valuable down the road. Granted they didn't get it done today, but we still have a cushion in the west, and the loss is a learning experience for them.

Shanahan needs to stay and help these young talents develop. All of the tools are in place for an elite offense: coach, qb, o-line, receivers. Give it a chance to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Monz View Post
          I hate how people are calling for Shanahan's head. We haven't had Champ for over a month, the entire LB core is injured, and the top 5 RB on the depth chart are done for the year. Give Shanahan credit where credit is due, he drafted very very well this year. Clady has been outstanding, Royal has been electric, and guys like Hillis, Woodyard, Larsen have filled in admirably for starters.

All of the injuries this year have allowed young guys to gain experience, which will be very valuable down the road. Granted they didn't get it done today, but we still have a cushion in the west, and the loss is a learning experience for them.

Shanahan needs to stay and help these young talents develop. All of the tools are in place for an elite offense: coach, qb, o-line, receivers. Give it a chance to work.
          Come on! Even with ALL the injuries, there is NO excuse for getting blown out AT HOME to OAKLAND.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
            I don't necessarily know or believe Shanahan should be outright fired. I do know that since the 2005 AFC Championship, I have seen 7 of the worst Broncos games EVER in all the 18 years or so I've been watching this team regularly.

When you have the kinds of games we've had, and Shanahan is the only constant, well...

I don't want to jump to conclusions, so I apologize if I'm wrong...but did you read the post or just the title of the thread?

There's so many reasons NOT to blame Shanny for any of this, unfortunately he's going to be the undeserving victim of this loss.
            Administrator

sigpic

Comment

I love Shanahan. But the offense came out completely unready to play. That is one him
              But I know Mike is just as upset about this game as we are, if not more so. He will turn this team around.

Comment

Come on! Even with ALL the injuries, there is NO excuse for getting blown out AT HOME to OAKLAND.
                If you pay attention to enough of the details, there's always an excuse for everything.

Not to sound like a nuisance, but that's just the way it is.
                Administrator

sigpic

Comment

i dont understand why everyone is so down on this team we knew at the begining of the year it was gonna be a tough year. look where we are in a rebuilding team we are still leading our division and have a good shot at the playoffs. ill take a year like this with 6 rookies starting because look where we will be next year..

Comment

well, i don't think the fact that shannahan is the only constant should be used against him cuz i swear we've had the most lineup changes in the history of the nfl for the past two years. plus, as i'm sure SD fans are quick to point out, cutler has been a constant as well the last two years....
                    disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Although I don't think he should be fired, per say, but I believe he contributes to all these injuries year after year because he isn't hard on the guys. They get their hands held during camp, all of a sudden it's Sundays, and they are exerting themselves more than they are used too = injuries.

If not, Denver is screwed whomever the coach is, because it's an organization cursed by injuries.

Comment

I'm keepin' the faith, Shanny for life.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJuan View Post
                          i dont understand why everyone is so down on this team we knew at the begining of the year it was gonna be a tough year. look where we are in a rebuilding team we are still leading our division and have a good shot at the playoffs. ill take a year like this with 6 rookies starting because look where we will be next year..
                          thats a very good point. i remember the majority of the people were saying we'd be 8-8 at best hopefully and we probably will fall just short. hey, lighten up. we're on top of the division and SD is gonna lose to the steaming colts.
                          disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
                            I don't want to jump to conclusions, so I apologize if I'm wrong...but did you read the post or just the title of the thread?

There's so many reasons NOT to blame Shanny for any of this, unfortunately he's going to be the undeserving victim of this loss.
                            Because ultimately, this team's peformance is HIS responsibility. He picks the players. He picks the coaches. He implements the game plan. It's ALL on Shanahan.

I get players have to win games ultimately, but this loss isn't just an isolated, one-time bad peformance. This team has been embarassed on levels I've NEVER seen in 18 years of watching over the past 3 seasons or so.

You may not want to blame Shanahan, but he is the ONLY constant in these losses.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
                              Go ahead and bash him all you want, if you think he should be fired, you are WRONG.

First, the basics:

This is what you guys want:

Let's go sign a new coach a year after we've been decimated by injuries and the team is filled with young developing talent.

Then, we can get a new coach, who's probably a lot younger and more inexperienced, completely change the playbook, and move backwards five years.

Because that makes sense.

I'd assume that even the least knowledgeable football fans understand the impact momentum has on the game.

It's a big impact.

All you can ask the coach to do is call the plays, but the momentum is uncontrollable. In today's game, we got off to a fast start, stopped the Raiders and drove down the field before Hillis fumbled away a touchdown.

If we're up 7-0 early, Oakland is devastated.

Ok, so we turned the ball over, they didn't score, we get the ball back and should have an opportunity to get on the board with a FG. MISSED.

If we're up 3-0, that knocks Oakland back again, and momentum could be changed.

Same story with the other missed FG. Shanny got us to a spot on the field where a FG SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE.

The Punt Return TD is NOT SHANNY's fault. There's no way you can possibly blame him for that. That's 7 points and a lot of momentum. Again, uncontrollable.

The fact that we are still in control of our destiny despite being absolutely killed by injuries is an indication of Shanahan's success as a coach.

We would be headed in the absolute wrong direction with a coaching change, whether the intolerant fans of this board would like to do so or not.
                              Where is the proof that hiring a new coach is going to move this team back five years. It's obvious at this point that the team is not responding to Shanny.

The only reason we are in contention is because we are in the AFC WEST. It has nothing to do with how well we have played.

Comment

Working...
                              X