You get paid to kick a ball...connect!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhildebrand View Post
    Like leading the league in touchbacks? Something we haven't done with Elam in years! Like leading the league in FG's 50 and out? He is perfect from beyond 50! He single footedly won the TB game by CONVINCING Shanahan to go for the FG after letting the clock expire and flipping fields.

Prater is young and GOOD. He is a GREAT replacement for Elam. Better than expected.
    great replacement hahahahahaha...

!!!!!!!!!!!SANDIEGO SUPER CHOKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jhildebrand View Post
      Like leading the league in touchbacks? Something we haven't done with Elam in years! Like leading the league in FG's 50 and out? He is perfect from beyond 50! He single footedly won the TB game by CONVINCING Shanahan to go for the FG after letting the clock expire and flipping fields.

Prater is young and GOOD. He is a GREAT replacement for Elam. Better than expected.
      He's made a grand total of 5 from 50 - that doesn't make him heir apparent to Elam. Inside the 50 he is spotty without the accuracy of at least half the league (he ranks anywhere from 14th to 32nd depending on the stat you are measuring...

Touchbacks? How many did he have yesterday? NONE!

Originally posted by 30-Davis-30 View Post
      great replacement hahahahahaha...
      Great convincing argument (the laughter sealed the deal - that really came off well, like you are laughing at our current team situation - nice to know you think it's funny - NOT!)

Comment

Originally posted by The_fourth_amig View Post
        Okay, okay...I over-stepped on the Cutler comment and would rather this thread look at Prater...not Cutler.

He may kick touchbacks, and Elam may have wanted too much money, but when your kicker doesn't connect on POINT PLAYS, that's when you reconsider his role with the organization.

Prove me wrong - show me how he's won or contributed to wins in putting points on the board...

And XPM mean nothing - every teams kicker should be making those automatically - every kicker except for two in the league have made 100% of their XP's! I am talking about field goals. That's where your real kickers are separated from the "also rans"...

I think you will find that the majority of his misses are from beyond 40.

Why don't you just post what his stats are in these ranges:

10-20

20-30

30-40

40-50

50+

That indicates a lot more about a kicker's abilities than just simply looking at overall %.

I don't know, but I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that we have already tried more 50+ yard field goals this year than we did all of last year with Elam.
        sigpic
        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

He's a second year guy who has had to re-learn all his kicking techniques in the last year. His rookie season was pretty tumultuous...he's in a rut now, but once he's out of it and back to early season form he'll be fine.
          sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
            I think you will find that the majority of his misses are from beyond 40.

Why don't you just post what his stats are in these ranges:

10-20

20-30

30-40

40-50

50+

That indicates a lot more about a kicker's abilities than just simply looking at overall %.

I don't know, but I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that we have already tried more 50+ yard field goals this year than we did all of last year with Elam.
            Go for it - show me the stats...I know why Elam is no longer with us, he didn't have the leg and we didn't want to pay him without the leg. My point is that at least he is accurate and consistent. So are At least 16 of the best kickers in the NFL - guess where Prater is not - in the top half of the kickers in the NFL. Sure, you can't judge a player by only one stat most of the time, but when that one stat is missed points, then it becomes more relevant.

Comment

I can respect that, but when you support someone you also gotta keep it real!

That many be fine and dandy that he will develop, but with a kicker, there's not much in the way of development - you don't have to learn to read defenses, make last minute game changing decisions, look at primary secondary, tertiary targets, know when to throw the ball away, or anything like that. Know what Prater has to do? Kick the ball!!! That's all - nothing else!
              When your FG% is in the lower half of the league and you are not putting points on the board for your team when they really need all they can get, you are no longer contributing.
              That's it? nothing else? Then why do all the experts agree that it usually takes about 3 years for kickers and punters to fully develop in the NFL? Gosh, maybe you SHOULD be our kicker, since you know so much....

Comment

Go for it - show me the stats...I know why Elam is no longer with us, he didn't have the leg and we didn't want to pay him without the leg. My point is that at least he is accurate and consistent. So are At least 16 of the best kickers in the NFL - guess where Prater is not - in the top half of the kickers in the NFL. Sure, you can't judge a player by only one stat most of the time, but when that one stat is missed points, then it becomes more relevant.
                Well, I was thinking you should show the stats since you're the one trying to make a point here, but I will try to help out.

20-29 yards: 1 miss 83%

30-39 yards: 1 miss 83%

40-49 yards 4 misses 40%

50+ yards 1 miss 80%

As you can see he has only missed two tries in the 20-39 yard range. The majority of his misses are from 40-49 yards, and for whatever reason 3 out of those 4 are from the left hash mark.

Until this last Sunday he was the only kicker who was perfect from beyond 50, which is pretty impressive with it being his fifth attempt from that range.

It appears that he has a physichological battle in the 40-49 range, which is where Elam was usually money, but it appeared last year he had lost the 50+ range.

I agree with Shannahan in that he is a good kicker. He only needs to battle through the rough patch he has had over the last two games.
                sigpic
                Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Working...
                X