Mark Schlereth is DEAD-ON!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Schlereth is DEAD-ON!

I was just listening to Mark Schlereth on 104.3 The Fan a few minutes ago. Without misquoting him or taking what he said out of context, here's the more general points of what he had to say regarding the Broncos:

- He flat-out said the Broncos aren't very good as of right now.

- He stated all these excuses he's hearing about injuries and youth are 'the loser's limp', equating them to a WR burning a DB and the DB faking an injury when he realizes he's been burned. He stated Atlanta, Baltimore, and New York Giants are young teams and have played well.

- He said that the running back injury excuse isn't legit. He stated that the Broncos went into the season choosing not to run the football and that was clear in preseason and in the first few games. He stated a list of virtually unknown Denver backs who had success running the ball and stated Denver can do it again if they chose to.

- He said that what Denver has done thus far is irrelevant. It's about getting hot at the right time and getting into the playoffs. He said if Denver can make it in the playoffs, with their potential on offense and with the AFC the way it is, anything can happen.

- He stated (directed to Jay Cutler) that throwing a 70+ yard touchdown pass doesn't give you more points than a regular touchdown pass, and that reviewing the game afterwards there were several instances receivers were wide open in the middle and Cutler didn't make the play, saying that's all on him (Jay).

Those are the major points. Spot-on, as always IMO.
    sigpic

Wasnt his nickname with the Broncos "Stinky" or something along those lines?

Anyways, He's right. Absolutely 100% correct.

I guess you could say the Broncos are trying to be some kind of version of the Colts; a pass first, run when you need to, team.

Only the Colts have Manning, Wayne, Harrison, Clark and Gonzales.

We've got a bunch of half-assers who get pushed around.
    sigpic

Comment

stink's a no nonsense kinda guy..

this team needs someone like him in the locker room bashing some heads around :salute!:
      sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Something else he mentioned was this notion that this team 'needs to learn how to win', and how ridiculous it was, saying you win by scoring more points than the other team and preventing them from scoring points.

He also said that the way you win football games is by stopping the run and running the football, and Denver does neither, the latter by choice.
        sigpic

Comment

Exactly, this rebuilding excuse is bull, I guess we are rebuilding since Elway left.. I hate delusional fans who support a bad team on the field year in & year out. I hear guys saying it'll help the young team to get some playoff experience which we'll back into if at all. That would be the Broncos' worst nightmare. The last thing I would want to see is this team embarrassed & their confidence shot. Don't we have plenty of playoff experience against the Colts already? Do we really want to see Peyton Manning in Mile High going, Excuse me while I whip this out & burn Dre Bly over & over again like he did to the late Darent Williams? BTW, if you are giving up 30+ points to teams like KC & Oakland, how are we going to stop the Jets next week? This defense will STB against a high powered offense.. This Denver defense is a liabilty and has been one for years now. Part of the blame has to go to Shanahan because even the great Elway didn't win without Terell Davis. Clock contorl is a big component of football & it helps the defense to be fresh. Why can't use our first round pick to bring in a RB & keep the dude for about 5-10 years, so he'll have some continuity with the offense instead signing crooks & chumps from the street? Today's home run or 3&out offense will lead to inconsistent performance. I'd rather watch a worthy opponent from the AFC West (SD) in the playoffs, this is because SD is barely losing games, Denver gets blown out when they lose.. in their wins, they barely hold on... Wins/Losses are deceiving with the Broncos. Agree teams like Dallas have bounced back after bad losses this season but that was with Romo missing in the equation. I hope they get this team turned around soon !

Comment

F*** Stink...everytime i hear him talk he's saying something bad about the Broncos....i know we're a bad team as of right now but come on all year long hes been negative towards the broncos...atleast Shannon sharpe and tom jackson rides the bandwagon while its hot then when it goes bad they says the truth about our team..
            Will the real #6 please stand up!

The future!

R.I.P.D-Will and Sean Taylor.

Comment

He hit the nail right on the head! he made some good points! I have seen a bunch of times this season seen Cutler throw the deep ball when I see Graham or Scheffler or 1 of or HB wide open under.
              Last edited by LV BRONCOFREAK; 11-24-2008, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Yeah...

I am irate at Cutler right now. Don't worry. I haven't lost faith in him. But come on Jay, you've got Brandon Stokely WIDE OPEN the majority of the game...

Why? Because they put Asomugha on Marshall, and Royal's on the other side gettin' covered.

That leaves you with Stokely, Graham, Scheffler... or whoever ISN'T Marshall or Royal. You know the Raiders have game planned to cover the two hottest receivers we've got... and that means they didn't stop to think about our clutch slot guy or our giant TE...

ugh... i lost count of how many times Stokely was wide open on those countless "bombs" to Marsh and Eddie.

sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by #1BroncosFan! View Post
                  F*** Stink...everytime i hear him talk he's saying something bad about the Broncos....i know we're a bad team as of right now but come on all year long hes been negative towards the broncos...atleast Shannon sharpe and tom jackson rides the bandwagon while its hot then when it goes bad they says the truth about our team..
                  Come on - Sharpe has taken MANY jabs at the Broncos since his retirement.

And Mark Schlereth did say the most positive thing he could say at this point - it doesn't matter what the Broncos have done BEFORE today. It's about getting hot in the playoffs and with their talent offensively, anything can happen.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm glad he said that stuff about jay ,I feel that ever since jay made those better arm remarks he has been trying to prove it with long td passes and trying to hit recievers who are double and triple covered.I think he will be great if he just plays the way he can

Comment

Hard to run the ball when teams don't fear a FB at tailback, a RB who was recently working at a cell phone store, and the other RB who's been cut 3 times and recently signed with Denver at the end of August.

Comment

Originally posted by jongotti View Post
                        I'm glad he said that stuff about jay ,I feel that ever since jay made those better arm remarks he has been trying to prove it with long td passes and trying to hit recievers who are double and triple covered.I think he will be great if he just plays the way he can
                        He was doing that before as well.

Originally posted by stargazer View Post
                        Hard to run the ball when teams don't fear a FB at tailback, a RB who was recently working at a cell phone store, and the other RB who's been cut 3 times and recently signed with Denver at the end of August.
                        Actually it makes it easier. The passing game gets hurt when teams don't fear the running game.

Jay is immature, but will grow up as we all do. Personally I think Elway started playing better when injuries slowed his arm. The running game helped, but he was forced to be more mature with his choices.

Comment

how many times did he use the phrase:

"national.. football league"

Comment

While I agree with a lot of what he's said I have just a few issues...

Having people not able to play is not the same as faking a limp after screwing up a play... and yes, injuries are hurting us right now. Not an excuse... a fact. He makes it sound like we put RBs on the IR to legitimize the fact that we're passing.

Also... Baltimore and Atlanta are young teams that are playing well. The Giants are young perhaps, but far from inexperienced - coming off a SB win. Baltimore and Atlanta are both one game better than us... that's all... and we just beat one of them... so we can't be that much worse than them... no matter how stupid our losses look compared to theirs.
                            Thanks, Reid!
                            sigpic
                            Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                              While I agree with a lot of what he's said I have just a few issues...

Having people not able to play is not the same as faking a limp after screwing up a play... and yes, injuries are hurting us right now. Not an excuse... a fact. He makes it sound like we put RBs on the IR to legitimize the fact that we're passing.
                              Well, my interpretation of his statement (and he elaborated more on this but since I don't remember the exact words I don't want to misquote him or his intentions) was that he was more or less implying that no one was complaining about injuries or youth when Denver won two games straight against decent competition, and now that we lost to a bad team at home in a blowout, we want to throw 'youth and injuries' out there as a reasoning, hence the 'loser's limp' analogy. It's trying to excuse losing.

Also... Baltimore and Atlanta are young teams that are playing well. The Giants are young perhaps, but far from inexperienced - coming off a SB win. Baltimore and Atlanta are both one game better than us... that's all... and we just beat one of them... so we can't be that much worse than them... no matter how stupid our losses look compared to theirs.
                              I would argue that we were Atlanta's trap game, as Oakland and Kansas City were our trap games. I'm not trying to take away from our victory against them because it was an impressive win but I don't necessarily believe we would win more games than lose if we played them in a series.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X